CFL Draft needs

Childress

Just to show how inaccurate the rankings are at predicting draft position, here are the last five drafts' top 5 picks with their scouting bureau rank in parentheses:

1.  Pierre Lavertu (3)
2.  Matthias Goossen (9)
3.  Anthony Coombs (8)
4.  Antoine Pruneau (14)
5.  David Foucault (2)

1.  Linden Gaydosh (3)
2.  Andy Mulumba (5)
3.  Mike Edem (10)
4.  Corey Watman (12)
5.  Steven Lumbala (Unranked)

1.  Ben Heenan (2)
2.  Jabar Westerman (8)
3.  Tyson Pencer (Unranked)
4.  Austin Pasztor (4)
5.  Ameet Pall (7)

1.  Henoc Muamba (3)
2.  Scott Mitchell (1)
3.  Anthony Parker (2)
4.  Jade Etienne (Unranked)
5.  Nathan Coehoorn (7)

1.  Shomari Williams (1)
2.  Joe Eppele (5)
3.  Cory Greenwood (3)
4.  Danny Watkins (4)
5.  Rob Maver (6)

With our first pick I'm thinking Bombers go Chungh, Groulx or maybe (but unlikely) Waud. I see zero chance Walters takes Demski with the first pick.

Why? Keeping in mind the rankings are meaningless.
Because I see OL as the biggest need, and I think Kyle Walters does too.

I'm not so sure myself. He has also commented that he is happy with the Canadian OL that we have. If Groulx or Chungh aren't good enough to unseat a starter this year, I wouldn't draft them. Demski or Waud could both start for us this year, IMO, or at least play in a heavy rotation.

I suggest, trade #2 overall for BC's #5 and #14 (or #23)

and pick Demski @ #5 if he's still available otherwise pick the best OL available

Yes but BC has to be willing to do this deal.. Why would they? They don't want to strengthen a division rival..

I suggest, trade #2 overall for BC's #5 and #14 (or #23)

and pick Demski @ #5 if he's still available otherwise pick the best OL available

Yes but BC has to be willing to do this deal.. Why would they? They don't want to strengthen a division rival..

Take it or leave it. ;)

I could see BC doing that deal but we would need to sweeten it with a good Canadian player or a later draft pick.

You think we have one of those to deal??

Maaaaybe if we add buck pierce to the deal.. Again.

Been working on a mock draft for a week or so now.

What really stood out to me is that everyone keeps saying the Bombers are going to get three good players. This draft, in my mind, is so deep that with our current pick pool, we could easily snag a fourth solid prospect.

Here's what I've got so far

1. Ottawa - OL Alex Mateas (seems to be the smart money pick, hometown kid who can be a solid building block; could be derailed by NFL)

2. Winnipeg - REC Nic Demski (OL and REC equal areas of need, pool of OL better than pool of REC + the hometown connection; could easily be Durant but Walters on record saying Demski is his REC1 on the board)

3. Toronto - OL Sukh Chungh (best OL not named Boyko on the board, Toronto needs to prepare for aging OL and rebuild)

4. Montreal - REC Lemar Durant (OL not a deep concern for Popp, best REC available is easily Durant and Montreal could use experienced REC corps to groom and mentor a great talent; this could easily be Waud too)

5. BC - OL Danny Groulx (not a lot of OL depth in Vancouver, fills a need and fits the BPA label)

6. Saskatchewan - DL Daryl Waud (strong move by Taman, could see this being accompanied by decision to commit to a Canadian DT and make a trade with Hamilton)

7. Edmonton - OL Sean McEwen (strikes me as a very similar player to Brett Jones, got all the smarts, maybe not as ready physically, but still a very pro ready OL in my opinion)

8. Hamilton - OL Brett Boyko (calculated gamble here by Austin - he's got a ton in the pipeline for Canadian talent and could really use a stud OL - makes NFL gamble worth it)

9. Calgary - LB Chris Ackie (best player available scenario right here, not a strong need on the OL and Calgary could use some bodies to take defensive reps and make ST contributions)

10. Ottawa - LB Byron Archambault (tough player to project, could go here, could go in the third round. How do you translate his overall athleticism to the field? Shuttle time helps big time at combine)

11. Winnipeg - OL Jacob Ruby (if Bombers see Ruby fall to them, they'll be thrilled. Biggest threat is Hamilton at 8)

12. Toronto - DL Ese Mrarube-Ajufo (edge speed and athleticism were big pluses at combine, gives them a body for reps behind new prize Foley)

13. Montreal - DB Tevaughn Campbell (raw, but showed good cover skills with new rules at combine and is easily fast enough to defend in pros, immediate ST demon)

14. BC - RB Shaq Murray-Lawrence (gives them the all Canadian backfield combination that could be envy of CFL, hard guy for them to pass on at this spot)

15. Winnipeg - DL Maxx Forde (concerns about why his senior season was disappointment, but capable of being a big disruption on defensive line; this could easily be Shortill too)

16. Edmonton - REC Addison Richards (good value on BPA for Edmonton, interview disappointed at combine and speed is concerning, but he's a big physical body with soft hands)

17. Hamilton - OL James Bodanis (went OL gamble in first round, goes OL that they can have in camp in second round. Stocking the barn with hogs important for Hamilton)

18. Calgary - REC Jake Harty (natural fit in Calgary, can easily push Charbonneau and Parker)

19. Calgary - OL Karl Lavoie (Huf understands the value of a guy like Lavoie on the OL, can be brought along slow)

20. Hamilton - LB Nick Shortill (good bet to be one of the best available guys on the board, could be gone much earlier. Strong pick for Austin)

21. Toronto - LB Ron Omara (big broad LB who can take snaps behind Cory Greenwood in Toronto D)

22. Calgary - RB Tyler Varga (at this point, the pick makes sense, still have pick to get similar player to what you could take now at 27, hedge your bets with Varga earlier)

23. BC - DL Brandon Tennant (question marks, but if focus is there, talent is there easily)

24. Hamilton - REC Melvin Abankwah (another tough guy to project ... how much stock do you put in combine? Not a safe pick but could look great in two years)

25. Edmonton - DB Kwame Adjei (big body, could project at LB or DB, showed great coverage ability at combine)

26. Saskatchewan - OL Campbell Allison (had terrible combine, did not show up in shape. With proper work ethic, he's talented enough to be a strong guard in CFL)

27. Calgary - LB Auston Johnson (Alondra will be pleased ... needs shaping to be CFL game ready but looks good on film and can fill ST role immediately)

28. Ottawa - DL Ettore Lattanzio (Ottawa continues to build a strong stable in trenches)

29. Hamilton - REC Matthew Norzil (if healthy, Norzil is easily up there with, at the very least, Richards and Harty. health is big concern)

30. Toronto - DL Rory Connop (faded at combine, didn't help his cause but still deserving of top 30 selection)

31. Montreal - RB Dillon Campbell (offensive skill guys so tough to project when they don't fit mold, but with Lumbala gone, makes sense)

32. BC - LB Adam Konar (awful combine showing including a late flight resulting in interview delays/cancellations dropped his stock a lot but reports are he's got impressive film)

33. Winnipeg - LB Blair Smith (could easily see Konar and Smith flip flopping ... classic film vs combine, athleticism concerns vs football concerns)

34. Edmonton - RB Matt Rea (this guy could easily end up being huge fan favorite in Edmonton ... does all the dirty work, will contribute in Rob Cote fashion)

35. Saskatchewan - LB Adrian Clarke (big body, ST contributor immediately)

36. Montreal - OL Quinn Lawlor (big time project, but hard to turn down upside at this point, especially with team that has no real need to rush OL)

Nice draft.  Demski and Ruby would be huge.  Not sold on Maxx Forde.

Would love to see Walters pick up Matt Rea in the 4th.

Then again, Waud at #2 changes our ratio and suddenly NI REC is not as big a need... 

And Murray-Lawrence is that 'thunder' back that Bombers are looking for...

Then again, Waud at #2 changes our ratio and suddenly NI REC is not as big a need... 

He is? He's literally the exact same size as Paris Cotton.

He is? He's literally the exact same size as Paris Cotton.

Thought Cotton was lighter...anyway, 5'8 200 out of college seems like a power back

Have only watched his google stuff but he sure seems to get his shoulders down and straight arm... 

Would love Demski + an OL + a defensive player. Any chance we take Wauld at #2?

If Waud isn't heading south that should be our pick.  I hope Walters isn't too locked in on offensive linemen.

Thanks. That was what I was wondering. Seemed the logical choice to me too. Get a guy who can start or even rotate first season on the DL, grab an OL at #11, maybe Harty at #15.

Would love Demski + an OL + a defensive player. Any chance we take Wauld at #2?

If Waud isn't heading south that should be our pick. I hope Walters isn't too locked in on offensive linemen.

Thanks. That was what I was wondering. Seemed the logical choice to me too. Get a guy who can start or even rotate first season on the DL, grab an OL at #11, maybe Harty at #15.

That makes sense to me too.