Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

19 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I love these movies.

Are they stupid in the sense of how over the top and unrealistic they are? Sure.

Am I entertained by them?

Yes. Always loved action movies like this.

And there is always a chance that Stallone's botoxed frozen face might move enough to express an emotion.

21 hours ago, Tracker said:

And there is always a chance that Stallone's botoxed frozen face might move enough to express an emotion.

Stallone looks pretty good for his age IMHO.

Finally saw Wick 4 and while i liked the first one I found the series went downhill like Keanu on the 222 steps leading up to Sacré Cœur. Thought the last one's iimplausibility was high until I saw the blind man!

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Finally saw Wick 4 and while i liked the first one I found the series went downhill like Keanu on the 222 steps leading up to Sacré Cœur. Thought the last one's iimplausibility was high until I saw the blind man!

Do you find a stick of beef jerky attractive?

On 2023-06-08 at 10:01 AM, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Agreed- I love unhinged Cage. 

I can also appreciate the roles he does where he shows how good of an actor he is. 

He was great in Renfield.

Meh, he did his Cage bit well.  Renfield was just another malnourishing junk food movie filled with nothing but empty calories, silliness and extra-exaggerated violence in a world were pain, death and gravity have no relevance.  Seems like I've watched hundreds of these hollow body franchise movies with my kids, I conveniently doze off during the high intensity fight scenes because they're too boring to keep my eyes open.  The only good movie I've seen recently that caught my attention was "The Whale" and my kids hated it. 😄

Edited by Fatty Liver

On 2023-06-12 at 2:15 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

It appeared as if he fell down 888 steps just before dawn. He couldn’t stop rolling.! Gawd, even the audience ended up LOL. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-07-06 at 7:26 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Love me some Scorcese....but I am going to wait and see what others say about this film because it will likely just piss me off. DiCaprio in the lead as the sympathetic white man lead is enough to get my gall. Maybe I'm wrong about it and it will be a good film, but I've seen too many movies where the show is told through the eyes of a heroic white man trying to save the misunderstood heathens. Just once put an indigenous man in that role for cripes sakes. Always, like all of history, told through the eyes of a white man. Just like Dances with Wolves etc. etc. I like the awareness these movies bring to the dark history, but I sure wish they would go with the true indigenous story without the white man intermediary just once. How we actually lived it, not how it was observed by others and not making some white guy the hero in our story.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Love me some Scorcese....but I am going to wait and see what others say about this film because it will likely just piss me off. DiCaprio in the lead as the sympathetic white man lead is enough to get my gall. Maybe I'm wrong about it and it will be a good film, but I've seen too many movies where the show is told through the eyes of a heroic white man trying to save the misunderstood heathens. Just once put an indigenous man in that role for cripes sakes. Always, like all of history, told through the eyes of a white man. Just like Dances with Wolves etc. etc. I like the awareness these movies bring to the dark history, but I sure wish they would go with the true indigenous story without the white man intermediary just once. How we actually lived it, not how it was observed by others and not making some white guy the hero in our story.

Then it wouldn't be based on the book of the same name and it would avoid actual history.  It is a really well-told, sympathetic story and I highly recommend the book. 

That the agent was white is fact.  That he overcame other's racism to root out the powerful white people stealing Osage property (by murder) is fact.

Feel free to criticize the movie for other reasons, but DiCaprio's character (and his race) is essential to the telling of this story.

The book was selected as one of the best or notable books of 2017 by the New York TimesWall Street JournalWashington PostLos Angeles TimesTimeEntertainment WeeklyBoston GlobeBloombergSan Francisco ChronicleNPR, PBS, Seattle TimesSmithsonianGQSlateBuzzfeedVogueCosmopolitanOutsideThe WeekStar TribuneNewsdayKirkusLibrary JournalMarshall ProjectParadeHistoryPastePowells, and Barnes and Noble. Vulture named it the best thriller of the year. And both Amazon and Shelf Awareness chose it as the single best book of 2017. According to Literary Hub, it was also the best reviewed nonfiction book of the year.

https://www.davidgrann.com/news/2017-12-20-killers-of-the-flower-moon-named-best-book-of-the-year/#:~:text=In its citation%2C the judges,historical nonfiction%2C and an Indies

Edited by Wideleft

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 10:49 AM, Wideleft said:

Then it wouldn't be based on the book of the same name and it would avoid actual history.  It is a really well-told, sympathetic story and I highly recommend the book. 

That the agent was white is fact.  That he overcame other's racism to root out the powerful white people stealing Osage property (by murder) is fact.

Feel free to criticize the movie for other reasons, but DiCaprio's character (and his race) is essential to the telling of this story.

The book was selected as one of the best or notable books of 2017 by the New York TimesWall Street JournalWashington PostLos Angeles TimesTimeEntertainment WeeklyBoston GlobeBloombergSan Francisco ChronicleNPR, PBS, Seattle TimesSmithsonianGQSlateBuzzfeedVogueCosmopolitanOutsideThe WeekStar TribuneNewsdayKirkusLibrary JournalMarshall ProjectParadeHistoryPastePowells, and Barnes and Noble. Vulture named it the best thriller of the year. And both Amazon and Shelf Awareness chose it as the single best book of 2017. According to Literary Hub, it was also the best reviewed nonfiction book of the year.

https://www.davidgrann.com/news/2017-12-20-killers-of-the-flower-moon-named-best-book-of-the-year/#:~:text=In its citation%2C the judges,historical nonfiction%2C and an Indies

Didn't know there was a book..don't care. For once let us tell our own history. Sorry if that sounds harsh but the white man's version just doesn't appeal to many aboriginals anymore. Book or not...it's probably not the story my people would tell.

Edited by GCn20

Can't believe I'm posting this on a football message board.....

Barbie is really good.  Very clever script, excellent cinematography and great acting.  I didn't get the fuss with Ladybird, but Greta Gerwig did an amazing job with this.

Helen Mirren as the narrator is a big bonus.

Believe the word of mouth.

5 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Can't believe I'm posting this on a football message board.....

Barbie is really good.  Very clever script, excellent cinematography and great acting.  I didn't get the fuss with Ladybird, but Greta Gerwig did an amazing job with this.

Helen Mirren as the narrator is a big bonus.

Believe the word of mouth.

All the above, and... surprisingly insightful. 

Went with the kids and they both really enjoyed it. 

I recommend it.