Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

So.... I saw Fast X. Sigh. 

Here's the thing.... Generally speaking, I am a big fan of this franchise. My wife LOVES these movies... I will go to bat for Fast 4-6 as among my favourite action movies. 7 was the last DECENT one (relatively, to the rest of the franchise) and they just started getting epic-ly stupid. Fast 9 is one of the worst big-budget, tent pole films I have ever been witness to. I felt sad for everyone involved. 

So anyhow, I'd read the reviews for Fast X and just how truly awful it was..... And here's what I'll say:

It's dumb.... You have to go beyond shutting off your brain. The list of things that make ZERO sense is a mile long.

Having SAID THAT..... I have spent far worse time in a movie theatre. It's definitely a step up from 9, a bit of a return to "form" for the franchise. Jason Mamoa is having more fun in this movie than I've seen anyone have in a long time. There will be some weird comparisons made to Ledger's Joker, that Mamoa is going for the same vibe but doesn't have the pure evil gravitas that Ledger brought to his villain.... But I don't think that's a fair comparison.

I feel like Diesel really learned something from his MCU work and is going for an Infinity Saga thing to wrap this series of movies. X was his Infinity War and the next one will be his Endgame. 

So I guess short story long, if you have enjoyed these movies in the past.... And you're willing to just "shut the brain off" for 2 hours, it's not the worst summer blockbuster. It's absolutely a step up from 9.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

So.... I saw Fast X. Sigh. 

Here's the thing.... Generally speaking, I am a big fan of this franchise. My wife LOVES these movies... I will go to bat for Fast 4-6 as among my favourite action movies. 7 was the last DECENT one (relatively, to the rest of the franchise) and they just started getting epic-ly stupid. Fast 9 is one of the worst big-budget, tent pole films I have ever been witness to. I felt sad for everyone involved. 

So anyhow, I'd read the reviews for Fast X and just how truly awful it was..... And here's what I'll say:

It's dumb.... You have to go beyond shutting off your brain. The list of things that make ZERO sense is a mile long.

Having SAID THAT..... I have spent far worse time in a movie theatre. It's definitely a step up from 9, a bit of a return to "form" for the franchise. Jason Mamoa is having more fun in this movie than I've seen anyone have in a long time. There will be some weird comparisons made to Ledger's Joker, that Mamoa is going for the same vibe but doesn't have the pure evil gravitas that Ledger brought to his villain.... But I don't think that's a fair comparison.

I feel like Diesel really learned something from his MCU work and is going for an Infinity Saga thing to wrap this series of movies. X was his Infinity War and the next one will be his Endgame. 

So I guess short story long, if you have enjoyed these movies in the past.... And you're willing to just "shut the brain off" for 2 hours, it's not the worst summer blockbuster. It's absolutely a step up from 9.

Does it have awesome cars,  over the top action sequences,  and at least three references of "family" in it?   If so then this movie sounds perfectly good to me!  

42 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yup.  

I'm convinced Diesel is just trying to keep this going until the technology is there to resurrect the dead. They can "Captain America" over Cody Walker, but it's the dialogue that they'll need help with. But make no mistake.... Diesel wants to do it. 

13 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm convinced Diesel is just trying to keep this going until the technology is there to resurrect the dead. They can "Captain America" over Cody Walker, but it's the dialogue that they'll need help with. But make no mistake.... Diesel wants to do it. 

At a reported $10 million per movie, why not? 

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

I loved Vin Diesel in the Riddick movies, but in the grand scheme of things, dude is a **** actor.

On 2023-05-24 at 8:21 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The book is excellent as well.  Greatly looking forward to seeing this important story on the screen.

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER o A twisting, haunting true-life murder mystery about one of the most monstrous crimes in American history, from the author of The Wager and The Lost City of Z, "one of the preeminent adventure and true-crime writers working today."--New York Magazine o NATIONAL BOOK AWARD FINALIST o SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE

"A shocking whodunit...What more could fans of true-crime thrillers ask?"--USA Today

"A masterful work of literary journalism crafted with the urgency of a mystery." --The Boston Globe

In the 1920s, the richest people per capita in the world were members of the Osage Nation in Oklahoma. After oil was discovered beneath their land, the Osage rode in chauffeured automobiles, built mansions, and sent their children to study in Europe.

Then, one by one, the Osage began to be killed off.
The family of an Osage woman, Mollie Burkhart, became a prime target. One of her relatives was shot. Another was poisoned. And it was just the beginning, as more and more Osage were dying under mysterious circumstances, and many of those who dared to investigate the killings were themselves murdered.

As the death toll rose, the newly created FBI took up the case, and the young director, J. Edgar Hoover, turned to a former Texas Ranger named Tom White to try to unravel the mystery. White put together an undercover team, including a Native American agent who infiltrated the region, and together with the Osage began to expose one of the most chilling conspiracies in American history.

Edited by Wideleft

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Nic Cage has always been of my favorite actors. He doesn't give a crap about making Hollywood hits and is all about just making a fun movie. Looking forward to this one.

Nic Cage's judgement is very open to question. He once sued his business manager for mismanaging his money. Cage lost the case when the manager produced volumes of receipts detailing Cage's extravagant spending buying, among other things, a herd of emus that were allowed to roam free and John Merrick's skeleton. 

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

Cage is a lunatic.... His "doesn't care about being in Hollywood blockbusters" is more like "can't get cast in a Hollywood blockbuster anymore" 

The guy was desperate to be Superman. He's obsessed with being in Hollywood blockbusters but can't find anyone who will hire him. 

And, that's why he does these campy movies. 

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Rose….are you ready to watch another Expendables movie?

I love these movies.

Are they stupid in the sense of how over the top and unrealistic they are? Sure.

Am I entertained by them?

Yes. Always loved action movies like this.