Romby Bryant retires

gbill2004

In the article he thanks Bobby Dyce and Milt Stegall for helping him early in his CFL career.

and then he should thank Brock Ralph for being his inspiration for the latter part of his CFL career.

Bryant didn't have much left in the tank when we brought him in, but he gave what he had left. Definitely doesn't deserve to be compared to Ralph.

My lasting image of him in his 2nd stint here will be chasing down a db running back a nearly sure td in a blowout loss.

Bryant didn't have much left in the tank when we brought him in, but he gave what he had left. Definitely doesn't deserve to be compared to Ralph.

You are a much bigger man than me, sir. I watched him live in the game the Bombers won in BC and he just didn't seem to give a crap. But maybe that's just my untrained football eye.

You are a much bigger man than me, sir. I watched him live in the game the Bombers won in BC and he just didn't seem to give a crap. But maybe that's just my untrained football eye.

It's impossible to say for sure, but I always thought he was trying. He just wasn't very good any more...

My enduring memory of Romby is from a late 2008 game where an Eskimo DL took a serious late hit / cheap shot on Kevin Glenn and Romby was the only guy who really strongly objected after the play. He took like a 30-yard full-speed run at the guy all the way from the end of his route. Weird to see the skinny little rookie deep-ball threat be the only guy really standing up for his QB, but the 2008 Bombers were a really passive team.

Sad to see him go. He was one of my favourites when I first started following the Bombers. Seems like a great guy too.

Arjei Franklin paid tribute to him on his Facebook page:

I wanted to take a moment to share a little bit about a great teammate and better friend Romby Bryant. I was blessed to be teammates with Romby for 5 straight years across two teams. I can tell you this. Romby is one of the hardest working athletes I have ever met. He is also one of the most talented players I have come across. But what is most important is that he is as real as they come. A straight shooter and loyal friend.

Ill never forget the time Romby decided on his own that he was going volunteer at a soup kitchen. He didn't ask for a jersey to wear. There were no cameras our interviews. All he wanted to do was volunteer his time as any other person would. I know that Romby would never share these types of things as he is too humble. But I felt it was important that people know that this guy has a genuine heart to help others. 

If you look through this guys Facebook page you won't see one football pic. Only pics of his family. What is most important to him is not the glamour of being a football star but simply the relationships in his life. 

So as a former teammate and life long friend I want to say congratulations on an unbelievable career. 
Salute!