Willy Contract Negotiations

Willy and his agent would be silly not to do everything they can to cash in. Walters and the Bombers would be silly to just give in. This is just plain and simple negotiating, it'll get worked out. He wants to stay and the Bombers want to keep him. 

This post should be stickied as a reminder every day until the deal gets done.

Kyle Walters is quoted in the article so I don't think it was leaked.

I highly doubt the contract value the Willy team is looking for came from Walters.  It sounds like the reporter is following up with Walters on the leaked information that Willy is looking for a contract that will pay him $400M a year. 

400M is better then any professional football player in any league :)

heheheheh

Sorry...old habits are hard to break.  In banking "M" stands for three zeros.  So $400M is $400,000 and $4MM would be $4,000,000.   

It's not easy to find a good quarterback with potential. We should know that. Willy is a good QB with potential. A deal will get done in due time

I think people are feeling some initial shock at the number and the comparisons it evokes to more established players, but this is a starting point in a negotiation process. The final numbers, I am sure, will be palatable. As long as Willy continues his development, I think it will all work out.

If he's peaked, of course, we're still looking. 

Willy and his agent would be silly not to do everything they can to cash in. Walters and the Bombers would be silly to just give in. This is just plain and simple negotiating, it'll get worked out. He wants to stay and the Bombers want to keep him. 

This post should be stickied as a reminder every day until the deal gets done.

I'm bumping this post - simple negotiation tactics folks.  I wish people involved in pro-sports wouldn't negotiate through the media.

It's not easy to find a good quarterback with potential. We should know that. Willy is a good QB with potential. A deal will get done in due time

This.  The Willy camp is doing the smart thing... creating some urgency with the Bombers, and trying to cash in. 

But the key word is potential.  To me, "potential" equals a reasonable base + incentives. 

lol at any of us acting like we actually know what the right number for Drew Willy is.

To me, he needs to be paid as if he is in the middle tier of starting QBs. 4-5-6 range. Depending on how they view his trajectory, maybe the 3-4-5 range.

If that number is 400k then it's 400k.

It's funny that people really are trying to lowball the kid.. He's put up good numbers to start.. He sucked.. To be expected in his first pro starting season.. But seeing as this is his second year as a starter and he didn't embarrass himself.. Why wouldn't he be paid on par with other starting QBs ? Nothing is guarenteed.. If he gets 400k and flops next season.. Cut and resign or let him walk.

Mike Reilly's bona fides were a lot better than Willy's when the Esks signed him.

Reilly's history with the Lions was 77 attempts in 3 seasons with a 68.8 completion percentage, 4 TDs and 2 INTs. Willy had 147 attempts in 2 seasons with the Riders with a 68.7 completion percentage, 9 TDs and 5 INTs. Both spent time on NFL PRs before coming north. How was Reilly a lot better?

Reilly's money came in the contract extension after his first season as a starter, not when they got him from BC.  He got big bucks and is 'overpaid' IMHO compared to the other young up and coming QB's.  Willy would love to get what Reilly got, but he's more likely going to have to settle for a Collaros/BLM/Crompton type of deal.

Reilly can scramble and make plays with his legs....Willy stands in the pocket and gets sacked

And wins games on final drives when his offensive line gives him time to do his job - Which lo (sic) and behold we've addressed this offseason. It's amusing how many amateurs think the game revolves around one person and forgets all of the moving parts that are required for an effective offence.