Game 71: Blues @ Jets

What a game. Has this team ever been mlre tight knit? You see such enthusiasm and fight. Tremendous effort.

Agree about Stafford. He's the top six guy we've been missing. Pavs phenomenal tonight.

How close are little buff and Perrault? Because getting them all back is almost scary.

Still too close to call but they are playing great right now. Keep it up because in in the corporate box on Saturday!

Truly a great playoff/non-playoff game.

Pavelec was truly the number one star…again.

Are we sure Postma is injured? I heard reference to the post so many times tonight, I thought he was playing.

It would be a shame if this hockey team misses the playoffs. They are working their butts off.

And yes, Stafford is a keeper. And that Myers fellow…sure seems to have re-found his groove in Winnipeg.

Scheifele and Wheeler, with Stafford is a nice top line.

Good, solid effort.

Stafford and Myers sure give the Jets some options this off-season.  I wonder how Stafford feels and if he will go to free agency or negotiate with the Jets - he's got to like playing with these young guys.  If he could extrapolate over an entire season what he's done since coming here, its pretty exciting.  Myers flat out gives the Jets options when considering Buff's future and you get the strong impression that if Trouba is a lifer, how are they going to pay that entire right side D?  Myers play might make it a moot point.

I thought he said he was concentrating on winning the games right now, and not thinking about anything other than that. Not much more than that. 

There was a lot of joking about Edmonton, his parents, living in Wisconsin, North Dakota, his folks benching him for bad grades at one point in his youth…..

Didn't really hear anything relating to stafford not wanting to sign here, to be honest, it sounded like he was very happy to be here and things couldn't have gone better really. 

I think they sign him and i think both sides will want it to get done. 

Not sure about Frolik, depends on what he is asking for really. 

As for Little Buff and Perreault, Little and Buff will probably be back Saturday, Perreault probably not till april. 

I thought he said he was concentrating on winning the games right now, and not thinking about anything other than that. Not much more than that. 

There was a lot of joking about Edmonton, his parents, living in Wisconsin, North Dakota, his folks benching him for bad grades at one point in his youth…..

Thanks...  Yeah, I mean I wouldn't want/expect him to be worried about it now anyhow. I guess it was just the way this internet stranger worded it, made it out to be bigger than it was.

Stafford's agent will surely be telling him to go to free agency.  If he continues to play the way he is playing, his price will go up.  But some guys want to be where they want to be or else every player would go to free agency and never sign early.  Hopefully he stays.  Maybe the Minnesota Mafia will all want to stay together.  It might lower Ladd's price a bit because signing Stafford would give Ladd less leverage as far as having little to no depth on the LW.  Myers does the same for Buff.  Have to think of Ladd, Buff, Frolik, Stafford that two of them will be back...maybe three.  But all four?

CAjmI1BVAAA3QOA.jpg

Chiarot and Perrault practicing today - could they be back sooner rather than later?  What about Buff and Little? 

Since Buff and Little are both out longer than we had been led to believed, I think they might play tomorrow.  Perrault probably not until April.  But if the team is winning, there isnt as much urgency for guys to come back before they are 100%.

They don't really need to extend them this summer, they aren't really priorities, the UFAs are the priorities and I think It's likely that one of Buff or Ladd are moved, i'm leaning towards Buff just because the Jets already have 2 top 4 RHD men, they don't need 3 and not for what it would cost to extend Buff. 

Buff is a popular player but other popular players have come and gone in winnipeg jets history and the team has been fine. 

I'd like to sign them both to extensions but.. if they want too much money or term, then it's best to move on cuz eventually the real building blocks will need extensions too, guys like Scheif,Lowry, Trouba, gonna say guys like Ehlers Morrissey and the sorts also. Signing both Ladd and Buff to long term big money contracts is not smart business. 

They don't really need to extend them this summer, they aren't really priorities, the UFAs are the priorities and I think It's likely that one of Buff or Ladd are moved, i'm leaning towards Buff just because the Jets already have 2 top 4 RHD men, they don't need 3 and not for what it would cost to extend Buff. 

Buff is a popular player but other popular players have come and gone in winnipeg jets history and the team has been fine. 

I'd like to sign them both to extensions but.. if they want too much money or term, then it's best to move on cuz eventually the real building blocks will need extensions too, guys like Scheif,Lowry, Trouba, gonna say guys like Ehlers Morrissey and the sorts also. Signing both Ladd and Buff to long term big money contracts is not smart business. 

Thats really the issue.  Once they extend Trouba which they will since he will be RFA in a couple years, are you going to pay THAT much money for your three RHD?  Myers makes Buff expendable to a degree, as much as I hate to say that.

But I do think extending Ladd and Buff this summer is huge because do you really want to go into the deadline next year with two key players that could bolt if you dont sign or trade them?  That would be a huge distraction and if the Jets fought for a playoff spot, fell short and then lost both guys for nothing, that would be a disaster.

They'd trade Myers loooooooong before they traded Buff, anyone that thinks otherwise is a sandwich short of a picnic.

Buff was supposed to be out 4-6 weeks wasn't he?

If for some reason it became and either/or, they would keep Myers, all things being equal (ie. him not wanting to leave).  Thats the right move to make from a business perspective.  Emotionally, sure, Buff.  But Myers is younger, cheaper, better contract (for now) and we could debate their talent all day.