Could the Jets actually make a Cup Run this year?

Watching the way the Jets played defence against the Blues and especially the Kings the last two games, I couldn't help but wonder if we are underselling the potential of the team THIS year. Not saying they are going to be favoured in any series if they get in to the playoffs, but because of the weardown/playoff style of hockey the Jets actually play on most nights, they might catch some contenders by surprise (especially if they get into a 7 game series). With a steady/regular number one goaltender and further contributions from the recent additions as well as injured players (Perreault and Chiarot) returning, could this team not be one of the surprise playoff teams that seem to show up every year (ie. the 2003 Minnesota Wild)? The penalty thing had me worried up until a few games ago and then suddenly they seemed to get that reasonably under control. Not sure if that's because they recognize they can't fool around with that anymore as the games are much more meaningful, but it has improved. I'm picking the Jets to be the upset special team in the first round (no matter who it is they play). Lets just get to the playoffs guys!

With a steady/regular number one goaltender and further contributions from the recent additions as well as injured players (Perreault and Chiarot) returning, could this team not be one of the surprise playoff teams that seem to show up every year (ie. the 2003 Minnesota Wild)?

I'd contend that Chiarot will probably be the 7th defenseman when he gets healthy.  When not with Byfuglien... he looks pretty ordinary out there.  I like Harrison (and his experience) more as our 6th D-man.

I remember the Minnesota North Stars making a run. Or the Habs with an incredible Patrick Roy. Anything is possible.

I actually think we match up well against the top three teams in the division. But rinne will be too much.

My cousin and I managed to get tickets for games 3 and 4 against the Oilers in Minneapolis.  Stars swept them in 4 games to win the conference finals before losing to Jagr and Lemeuix in the Cup.  Soooooo loud in that arena, and not a single stinking John Denver song was played.

8th place Edmonton took Carolina to a game 7 in the cup finals in 06.  Calgary beat the top 3 seeds in the West and took Tampa to a game 7 in the cup finals in 04.  Neither won, but anything is possible.

There are a few teams that the Jets match up poorly against in our conference, one of them being St Louis.  Considering how the Jets played them close to equal last week, maybe they have a better chance against those teams (Anaheim being another) than I'd previously given them credit, enough that they can't be written off.  The Jets certainly have better than a puncher's chance.  If Perreault returns in time for the playoffs they will have 3 solid lines and 3 very solid defensive pairings, and a 4th line that can be put together using Stempniak, Slater and Hallischuk.  And that still leaves Thorburn, Pardy and Peluso as puzzle pieces that can be fitted in.  This is now a surprisingly deep team.

I'm not going to rain on anyone's parade.  This is a team with a legit lineup now.  Outside of a Rinne/Price type elite goalie and a name-brand megastar, there is nothing that separates this Jets team from any of the other playoff teams, and in terms of total talent, we are probably ahead of a couple of other teams that will also make the playoffs.

8th place Edmonton took Carolina to a game 7 in the cup finals in 06.  Calgary beat the top 3 seeds in the West and took Tampa to a game 7 in the cup finals in 04.  Neither won, but anything is possible.

This year looks to be a surprise. Just don't see Chi/L.A. in the semi's. Only one i'd put a lock on is MTL. Kinda like STL and VANC as a surprise performer.

Thing about CAL/EDM is that getting to the finals was basically a win. Those were the days of whoever spent the most among the 2 teams in the final was going to win.

Rangers and for the next 10-15 years was all about free agents and no sal. cap. The dark years.

Rangers/Montreal is likely eastern conference final. Tampa could surprise and so could the NYI (moving to brooklyn next season) 

The West is anyones guess, Don't think Vancouver stands a chance, not convinced they even make the playoffs to be honest, altho with Giordano hurt in Calgary, probably means Vancouver will get in. Sharks have fallen off, they are done i think. 

LA is always dangerous, Nashville looks legit, Anaheim loaded up, Chicago is still Chicago altho without Kane, they are in tough. 

Jets and Minny could be the sleeper teams. 

Need someone else to bump out Nashville, and then anything could happen. If there's ANYONE who's going to surprise people come spring, it's Minnie. If Duby stays hot, that team could go a LONG way...

Need someone else to bump out Nashville, and then anything could happen. If there's ANYONE who's going to surprise people come spring, it's Minnie. If Duby stays hot, that team could go a LONG way...

Minnesota is scary.  But you have to think DD comes back down to earth.  The Wild will play a style that will protect him as much as possible but he HAS to come down sooner or later.  Imagine a Jets/Wild conference final.  Im sure the networks would be suicidal but the rivalry between cities/fans would be off the charts.

18 games left and we need ~16 points to get to the playoffs. It looks promising for us, but there's much work left to be done.

We definitely gotta worry about getting in first... Take it one game as a time, but I'd like to see 10 wins in the last 18, maybe throw in a couple OT losses and you're pushing 100 points... from there, anything could happen.... likely Anaheim or Nashville first round