NHL Trade Deadline

Jpan85

Lawless says the Leafs are asking for Burmi & a 2nd for Winnik. I wouldn't even respond. Hang up the phone and walk away.

Lawless was right on about Burmi. A good player. Plays full game. Offensive upside. Young. Fast. Cheap. And RFA. And according to Lawless Burmi would play for the Jets. Don't trade him unless we're getting something good back.

Even if it's Winnik for Burmi straight up, is that not a massive overpay for us?

I'd love Winnik in our bottom 6 right now, no doubt. He's got good size and can score at least a bit more often than our current cast.

But Burmi is a former 1st rounder. We control his rights. Like Stafford, Winnik could very well be gone as a FA.

If we're moving #69, I'd rather see the return have term left, or RFA status, like Calvert.

Absolutely. I wouldn't do Burmi for Winnik straight up at all.

But he and Winnik might just be enough to get the jets into the playoffs and that's tje goal right now.

I disagree. I think the Jets are good enough to make it but not good enough to beat Nashville or Anaheim in the first round. And neither of those guys would change that, IMO.

I don't disagree. But making the playoffs is step one and infinitely important. Just because they might lose in round one doesn't mean they shouldn't try to get there.

Step one should be building our depth. And keeping it. Developing it.

Do we want to make the playoffs?  Yup.    Do we have to?  Nope

We loose a few and we are quick to want changes.... We soon forget how well we did without our top 4 D.

Even if it's Winnik for Burmi straight up, is that not a massive overpay for us?

I'd love Winnik in our bottom 6 right now, no doubt. He's got good size and can score at least a bit more often than our current cast.

But Burmi is a former 1st rounder. We control his rights. Like Stafford, Winnik could very well be gone as a FA.

If we're moving #69, I'd rather see the return have term left, or RFA status, like Calvert.

He's a former first round pick that will never play for the Jets again... He doesn't have that kind of value. I mean christ if being a first round pick is enough then someone should grab Hugh Jessiman just so they can cash in on that value. 

He's a former first round pick that will never play for the Jets again... He doesn't have that kind of value. I mean christ if being a first round pick is enough then someone should grab Hugh Jessiman just so they can cash in on that value.

You must know something everyone else doesn't. lawless repeated today Burni is fine playing for the Jets next season.

Winnik is definitely not worth Burmi and a second, third or fourth.  Keep in mind, we went after Winnik before and he chose not to sign here, so there's a pretty good chance, if he were traded here, he wouldn't resign and would walk after the season.

If we made that trade and didn't make the playoffs, then Winnik walks, people would lose their mind.  Likely the same people saying we NEED to do something before the deadline and think Winnik is our saviour.

To be honest, the 'talent' available is pretty weak.

Burmistrov said he'd never play for Uncle Claude again, but apparently has no beefs with Maurice and, for what it's worth, his agent says he's more than willing to play for the Jets next year. 

But he's been replaced on the roster and he's already bailed on the Jets once, how do the Jets feel about him? Chevy is stubborn as a mule when it comes to trading but this is not one where the player has much chance returning. Like Kane he's just gotta make the move and get the value he can. 

Burmistrov said he'd never play for Uncle Claude again, but apparently has no beefs with Maurice and, for what it's worth, his agent says he's more than willing to play for the Jets next year. 

But he's been replaced on the roster and he's already bailed on the Jets once, how do the Jets feel about him? Chevy is stubborn as a mule when it comes to trading but this is not one where the player has much chance returning. Like Kane he's just gotta make the move and get the value he can. 

I’m not necessarily disagreeing, but who replaced him on the roster?  You don’t think Burmistrov on the 3rd line would be an upgrade?

Hopefully he’s matured in the KHL and has decided to be a hard worker and good team-mate.