NHL Trade Deadline

Jpan85

Burmi could only play this year if he signed by December. He didn't. He's a rfa tho when his contract in the K is up this season. Jets property

My key uncertainity with him is his fit in the lockerroom. Based on his history, has he grown more into a professional hockey player, team first attitude? How was that element of his game been in the KHL? 

Completely from a homer perspective, we're building something special here in how tight these players seem to be. Yes winning solves everything but even that isn't enough. Being here in Edmonton, there appears to be little chemistry within the Oilers team, loads of individual talent but no connection. The Jets are leaps and bounds ahead of the curve when it comes to this imo. My hunch tells me to dangle him in front of another team to allow us to tinker with a  character we always need to add , i.e., proud to jersey regardless of 'you want me to play how',  it's-30 degrees, there's lots of snow, jeez this Canadian Dollar, my kids can't go to the beach in February, etc etc

Yup. Seems like the Atlanta GM at the time or scouts didn't really care about locker room chemistry or things like that, I mean, not picking on any players here but Kane and Burmi both have and at the time of their draft, had some severe character issues. I ask myself a few times if the Jets were drafting in 2009 or 2010, would they have taken these 2 players? And the answer i keep coming up with is NO, why? because the Jets take guys with high character, work ethic, hockey smarts.. Not saying Kane or Burmi don't have those traits but they seem to lack the high character that the Jets seem to concentrate on. Best to move these " me first" players. Burmi? You know what, he's a good player but i don't see him being more than a 3rd line center, some team could use him, it's not us tho. I don't see him signing here, but more importantly, i don't see the Jets wanting to bring him back here. People can talk about the issues he had with Claude Noel but from my understanding, his issues started when he was asked to go play in St Johns during the lockout, when he wanted to go back to Russia instead to play. Team asked him to go to St Johns, he reluctantly agreed too and then from all accounts, and from what some people in St Johns said during his time there, was awful and sulking around. That's not a player i'd want in my room. Trade him because these guys with these character issues are not what the Jets are trying to build around. 

I don't think so. Kane's character issues are well known and i don't think the Jets would have taken him. Burmi? Dude wasn't even ranked in the top 20.. Go check out 2010 and who went after him... Vladmir Tarasenko is one guy i bet the Jets would have taken instead but they seem to shy away from taking russians regardless. Don't think either guy would have been taken. Just an opinion but the character issues these 2 have, had/still have puts little doubt in my mind that the Jets would have picked someone else instead. 

At risk of taking flak, I am wavering in my "do not trade Frolik" feeling.  Maybe it's just depression over the play of the Jets and their seemingly tenuous hold on a playoff spot.

But if they have a disasterous week and end up on the outside looking in by the deadline...what do they do?  This is all depending on Frolik's contract demands.  But if he wants to get paid like a top six guy while being a good third line guy, i dont know....his value is likely never higher then on deadline day when a playoff team sees him as the missing piece of the cup puzzle.

I think this is towing the company line.  If he really felt this way, why has he been so reluctant to give any of the young forwards playing time, even playing a 7th D-Man over Klingberg.

Don't expect anymore deals before the deadline.

Well, we aren't going to trade for a D-Man, so I think Trouba (and Chiarot if he was healthy) are safe.

Given the depth we have at forward, I don't think anyone new coming in will take time away from Scheifele or Lowry.     You will knock guys like Galliardi and Thorburn down to the 4th line before you are in danger of taking playing time away from them.

Lawless explained the Pardy thing as the Jets wanting to have an extra D-man dressed.  if a top six guy went down (I think they were concerned about Stafford), Buff would slide into that role and Pardy would be the 6th D-man.  That was more important than dressing a 12th forward that might play three minutes.

Peter Tessier makes a good point about trading Burmi.  His value as a trade must be lower than his value to the Jets since we know what we have in him for the most part wheras another team is likely taking a chance on him.  Do the jets want to be in a position of losing both Burmi and Frolik?  Burmi might be good insurance should Frolik walk, unless the Jets know for sure Burmi wont report to Winnipeg.  Id love to see what he can do in Maurice's system.

Jets will be in the wildcard chase right until the end of the season. I think you see them add rather than subtract. I don't see them moving guys like Frolik out now, regardless if they have a bad week or not, they only play 4 games between now and trad deadline day, they will either be in the wild card spot still or just behind, it's not like they will be that far back if they have a  bad 4 games. 

I'm just asking out loud.

With all the goaltenders who presently play in the NHL, I wonder if Vancouver is at all interested in acquiring Pavelec with Miller down? 

Maybe it could be a win, win, win. Win for Vancouver, Win for Winnipeg, Win for Pavelec himself with a change of scenery.

I don't know enough about Vancouver's  team to answer this question in terms of their farm system and cap situation.

Would it be too risky for us to part ways with one of our starting goaltenders?  It seems like we're pretty good with our goaltenders in our system.

I'm just asking out loud.

With all the goaltenders who presently play in the NHL, I wonder if Vancouver is at all interested in acquiring Pavelec with Miller down? 

Maybe it could be a win, win, win. Win for Vancouver, Win for Winnipeg, Win for Pavelec himself with a change of scenery.

I don't know enough about Vancouver's  team to answer this question in terms of their farm system and cap situation.

Would it be too risky for us to part ways with one of our starting goaltenders?  It seems like we're pretty good with our goaltenders in our system.

They have Lack and Markstrom i believe and a youngster in the NCAA, Demko maybe? I'd looking at moving Pavelec, but i don't think the Canucks are a team that would be interested in him. I'm thinking teams like Carolina, maybe for Cam Ward? Edmonton? Fasth? (but he's injured). I really don't see many other teams having interest in him. Carolina makes sense because well, Ward only has a year left on his deal and he's being paid quite a bit, 6 million i think but... for 1 year, it might be worth it. Edmonton? Because well, it was rumored they had interest in Pavelec in the off-season last year. 

There are some rumors out there that the Jets and Sharks are talking about a Pavelec for Niemi deal. THere is also talk that the Jets are talking to the coyotes about Pavelec for Mike Smith too. I'd lean towards the Niemi one personally as Smith has lots of time remaining on his deal and hasn't been so good, altho he plays for a bad team. I'd say 50/50 Pavelec gets moved, heck 60/40 let's say even. I think it speaks volumes with the Jets starting Hutch tonight and maurice when asked for the reasoning said his last 4 games, he's got points in. Think Pavelec moves if a team is willing to take him. That's the big question really. 

Even if it's Winnik for Burmi straight up, is that not a massive overpay for us?

I'd love Winnik in our bottom 6 right now, no doubt. He's got good size and can score at least a bit more often than our current cast.

But Burmi is a former 1st rounder. We control his rights. Like Stafford, Winnik could very well be gone as a FA.

If we're moving #69, I'd rather see the return have term left, or RFA status, like Calvert.