NHL Trade Deadline

Jpan85

I'm not sure Postma by himself would be enough.

Just move a word, and viola!

I'm sure Postma by himself would not be enough.

Buffalo was a perfect storm for that trade.  They saw a couple of players they wanted, had a couple of pieces that fit our needs that they also needed to move, and would be able to take a bigger step towards guaranteeing the first overall pick while doing it.  That's not going to happen again.  The asking price for Vermette will be stupidly high, just like it always is for that type of player at this time of year, because there's always at least one team willing to pay it.  Teams are trying to re-build using those players as chips, they aren't going to take our offer of the hockey equivalent of pocket lint.

I have yet to see anything from Postma that doesn't suggest he'll play in the AHL for five more years before having a successful career in a European league.  Every other defenceman who has graced our roster this year and last has shown me more than Postma.  Redmond, Clitsome, Pardy, Chariot, Harrison, and even Ellerby.

Any trade that happens involving Postma; he's going to be the Jason Kasdorf of the deal.  A throw-in to help grease the wheels.

I'm not sure Postma by himself would be enough.

Just move a word, and viola!

I'm sure Postma by himself would not be enough.

Buffalo was a perfect storm for that trade.  They saw a couple of players they wanted, had a couple of pieces that fit our needs that they also needed to move, and would be able to take a bigger step towards guaranteeing the first overall pick while doing it.  That's not going to happen again.  The asking price for Vermette will be stupidly high, just like it always is for that type of player at this time of year, because there's always at least one team willing to pay it.  Teams are trying to re-build using those players as chips, they aren't going to take our offer of the hockey equivalent of pocket lint.

I have yet to see anything from Postma that doesn't suggest he'll play in the AHL for five more years before having a successful career in a European league.  Every other defenceman who has graced our roster this year and last has shown me more than Postma.  Redmond, Clitsome, Pardy, Chariot, Harrison, and even Ellerby.

Any trade that happens involving Postma; he's going to be the Jason Kasdorf of the deal.  A throw-in to help grease the wheels.

If there was only 1 superstar available in the draft, EDM might move one of the big 3 but alas first/second picks are both good so they won';t do anything.

You are under valuing Postma.

I am showing why there isn't a single compelling reason for another NHL team to give up anything of value for Postma.

He has potential?  So does every other player in hypothetical team's farm system.

Postma may turn into a regular NHL player someday.  Right now in early 2015, there is nothing he has demonstrated on the ice that will convince another team he's worth trading anything of value for.  That doesn't mean other teams wouldn't trade for him, it means there will have to be a bigger piece included by the Jets for them to do it.  Postma is the throw-in.

Unless Postma for a 5th or 6th rounder is considered a trade for value around here.  I agree he could get us that.

On 1290 someone told H and L that the asking price for Vermette is a 1st and a good prospect.

pfffffft ... pass. 

he was on waivers 2 years ago.

we need a forward to play on the 2nd line.

trade a pick or two and a D man like Pardy, Stuart and/or Harrison for one.

What about a 1st or 2nd and Armia for a good 2nd line LW with some time on his contract? A 4.5 - 5 or so a year guy. 

How bout no trades?

Ladd little wheeler

Frolik scheif stafford/buff

Bottom 6 tho needs help. Calvert and Winnik both fit

Doubt they trade for a top 6 winger. Not one with years left on his deal at least. Maybe a rental but really not much top 6 rentals out there. Vermette is a center. He isn't what we really need.

Reality says Chevy has made one player for players trade in his jets gm history and it was kind of forced. What makes anyone think we are gonna make another big name trade? Seriously. Not gonna happen. Eberle lucic guys like that. Not gonna happen unless they are available for cheap which they aren't

Bergenheim is a 31 year old LW from Florida.  His best season appears to be last year when he had 29 points in 62 games.  

So far this year he has 8 goals 10 assists in 39 games. 

Makes $2.75M this year and is a UFA next year.

Bergenheim is exactly the kind of player the Jets could hope to get for a low price (although last week I would have included Winnick in that group).  The problem there is the Panthers are still in the hunt for a playoff spot, so their timeline for moving him might not match up well with our immediate need for him.  If they start eying the future soon instead of the present, Postma might be a player of interest for them.  I doubt he's enough on his own though, more likely him and a 5th.

In our favour is that Bergenheim no longer appears to be part of the plans for Florida, as they shift to being a young team.  Not in our favour is there are 28 other teams to trade with, some who will have more than Postma and a low pick to offer.  I think Bergenheim on our 3rd line could be a pretty good fit, so I hope it can get done.

Apparently Bergenheim has fallen out of favor in Florida, The Coach Gerald Gallant apparently is not a big fan of his. Apparently Bergenheim doesn't always give 100 percent at all times, Not sure how true this is as i watch zero florida games but i'd suspect Bergenheim could be had for pretty cheap actually. Lebrun also reporting the Jets have interest in another Florida UFA to be, Thomas Fleischmann. 

Trades like this, I'm all for, you won't have to give much up and these guys are UFA's at the end of the season so they can walk really... and it's not a big deal really.

Postma plus a late pick might be enough actually. Winnik, apparently leafs want a second for him, if Winnik could be re-signed, i might pay that but.. I'm not sure he would be willing too. Maybe but... Doubt i'd be moving 2nd round picks and prospects for him. Our prospect pool is looking ok...

Morrissey,Ehlers,Petan,Copp,Armia,Lemieux,Comrie are all some pretty solid prospects but after that.. It does get a little bit bare. I wouldn't move any of those guys out for a rental that's for sure. We are a bubble playoff team at the moment, the teams behind us are catching up... don't look now but LA has won 6 straight... we have played more games than the teams behind us too, they have games in hand on us, We are a bubble team for sure... would really suck to go all in and then not make the playoffs... but give up something that could help us in the future. This team seems to be built for sustained success, not just have 1 good season and that's it, they want to be good every year, be a legit playoff contender, not a bubble team fighting it out until the end of the regular season really.. I'm not sure it's wise to move prospects we are high on for UFA rentals at the moment. If we were having a year like Nashville has been, sure go for it but reality is, we are very much a bubble team right now and for as much as i want this team to make the playoffs, i'm not selling off the future when reality seems to indicate that for as close as we are to making the playoffs, there are teams behind us who are just as close as we are... I don't know. Jets need to go on a roll and win win win otherwise in a week or 2, we may be on the outside looking in. 

I was happy trading Kane and Bogo for Meyers, Stafford plus prospects and a 1st rounder. In my opinion it will make us a better team now AND in the future.  I won't analyze it here in great detail but it was really an amazing trade IMO and I'm looking forward to the 2015-2016 season.

This team is not a Cup contending team though. Some of the rumours of us trading draft picks to get forward depth scares me a little bit.  Keep the cupboards fully stocked Jets.  This isn't our year.

I was happy trading Kane and Bogo for Meyers, Stafford plus prospects and a 1st rounder. In my opinion it will make us a better team now AND in the future.  I won't analyze it here in great detail but it was really an amazing trade IMO and I'm looking forward to the 2015-2016 season.

This team is not a Cup contending team though. Some of the rumours of us trading draft picks to get forward depth scares me a little bit.  Keep the cupboards fully stocked Jets.  This isn't our year.

There is that temptation because the Jets are that close to a playoff spot but those damn injuries keep raising concerns and exposing weaknesses. 

But I agree.

Keep the cupboards stocked and resist the temptation to make a foolish trade to go only one-round deep in the playoffs.

That Buffalo trade was a once in a lifetime situation, so any trade now would be be minor, comparatively.

They will pretty well have to do it with their current lineup.

if the Jets werent a Playoff team, I would agree and stand pat.  But it is so important for the team to make the playoffs.  There are reasons like playoff experience and making the community feel good and the indirect financial spinoff from playoff games.  But its also important from a revenue perspective as that playoff money of almost all profit to the team owner.  And it surely couldnt hurt in recruiting.

Jets only have 24 ROW too. Non OT or Shootout Wins. The teams behind them have more. 27 for LA for example. That's the first tie breaker if teams are tied at the end

The good news is the Jets have more points than the pacific division teams fighting for a playoff spot so those teams moving up are switching positions with each other.  Minnesota is the Jets' gravest threat.

I honestly don't know what Bergenheim brings to the table for the Jets. This feels like a "why bother?" kinda thing. If you just wanna move Postma, I'd rather take a 3rd rounder or something...

When you have Chris Thorburn and T.J. Galliardi as main stays on your 3rd line right now, he'd be an upgrade that would allow you to give the 3rd line more playing time and more rest for the top 6.