NHL Trade Deadline

Jpan85

Interesting - reports coming out that Chevy tried to sign Winnik last summer

Makes sense. Winnik and Galiardi were basically the only 2 noteworthy forwards left a month into free agency and Galiardi signed here a couple days after Winnik signed in Toronto. I think its safe to say we were bidding on Winnik and Galiardi was a distant plan B.

Wonder if the jets now just stand pat since it's unlikely they can contend for the cup. Not sure this helps their playoff chances. Doubt they are willing to give up 1st rd picks in a strong draft year. Especially not for a rental which vermette would be

Would Stafford be considered a 'rental'? Hard to say. My guess is Chevy brings in guys he believes he has a realistic chance to re-sign. If he goes for a guy like Vermette that would tell me something. 

Chevy didnt trade for Stafford because he thought it helped the Jets contend for the cup.  They arent stupid.  They know they arent winning the cup.  The only chance they have at the cup is the "anything can happen" mentality once you make the playoffs.  its VERY important for the team to make the playoffs for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the free millions upon millions of dollars that comes with Playoff games.

I think the Jets were in the market for a mid to bottom six winger.  Now they need a top six winger.  That will jack up the price.  They could certainly trade their 2nd since they have two first rounders.  Their reluctance to waive any D men is also telling - they believe, and rightfully so, that any of Postma, Pardy, Harrisson would be claimed.  And that means those guys have value as trade pieces.

If you could get Vermette for Postma and a 2nd, would you do it?

Yup, considering you have to give something to get something.

The however is where's Vermette's head space with his future. Something I'd want to know if he's willing to share.

Chevy comes across as a good communicator so he'd ask the right questions to tease this out if possible.

If you could get Vermette for Postma and a 2nd, would you do it?

How about Vermette for Postma straight up considering Postma is a young, puck moving D man.  I realise bidding is going to shoot up Vermette's value though.

Yeah that deal would never happen, unfortunately.  These rental player deals always gouge the buyers.  And at this point, we have to ask ourselves how much do we want to sacrifice for success this year?  Because as much of a Jets booster as I am.... I mean, we're not winning the Cup.  Hell, we could draw St. Louis or Nashville in round 1 and get rocked, if we make it at all.  I'm not sure now is the time to be blowing away your prospects and picks on a rental.

I definitely wouldn't give up a 1st for Vermette.  

I'm not sure Postma by himself would be enough.

I would give up a 2nd or a 3rd and a B level prospect (ie.  not Ehlers, Armia, Morrisey, Petan, or our goalies and I guess throw Lemieux in there).   I wonder if they would have interest in Kosmachuk.   

It really comes down to market and what other teams bring the bidding up to.

Pretty sure Vermette would just be a rental though.  Rumours I've heard is he is after $6M per.   Not sure if he will get it, but the Jets certainly wouldn't give him that before free agency, so he wouldn't be re-signed before then.

lets assume the Perrault injury has Chevy considering options.  What would we be comfortable giving for Jordan Eberle?  i could see Postma being attractive to the Oilers as a beginning.  the problem is the Jets need most of our good assets.

I think any discussion for Eberle starts with two of Trouba, Morissey, Ehlers, Petan. Myers.

Not that I want to give up that much, but I think that is what Edmonton would be asking for.

lets assume the Perrault injury has Chevy considering options.  What would we be comfortable giving for Jordan Eberle?  i could see Postma being attractive to the Oilers as a beginning.  the problem is the Jets need most of our good assets.

I think any discussion for Eberle starts with two of Trouba, Morissey, Ehlers, Petan. Myers.

Not that I want to give up that much, but I think that is what Edmonton would be asking for.

Watching Eberle over the years, not a huge fan. Yes, high point total (39pts 57 games) and yes very very soft hands but very soft when it gets physical.

Just doesn't seem to play the style PM has put in place. Definitely would not sell the house to acquire his services whereas if Lucic came available . . .  

Watching Eberle over the years, not a huge fan. Yes, high point total (39pts 57 games) and yes very very soft hands but very soft when it gets physical.

Just doesn't seem to play the style PM has put in place. Definitely would not sell the house to acquire his services whereas if Lucic came available . . .  

Lucic has gotta be the most overrated player in the NHL

Lucic has gotta be the most overrated player in the NHL

Completely disagree with you, I love the way he plays notwithstanding some of his antics.

As far as I know (but I'm willing to be corrected), when they poll NHL players (who probably would know the best) on whose the most current 'overrarted' player in the NHL, Lucic is not top of the list.

I believe Rick Nash and Dion Phaneuf are the usual culprits. 

Lucic - no thanks.

With injuries, Winnik starts making sense and moving buff back to forward

I think their desire is to avoid forcing Buff to forward if they can help it.

Of course. But Chevy is not going to pay the price that Eberle or lucic would command.