Bombers new offensive line 2015

gbill2004

Over the last 18 months, Kyle Walters has methodically transformed the Bombers offensive line, turning a weakness into a strength. Gone are Justin Sorensen, Tyson Pencer, Andre Douglas, Shannon Boatman, Chris Kowalczuk, Paul Swiston, and likely Steve Morley and Glenn January. In are Dominic Picard, Stanley Bryant, Marc Dile, Mathias Goossen, Patrick Neufeld, Jace Daniels, Quinn Everett and Devin Tyler. Will likely see one or two more drafted this year. One could argue that our new starting five for 2015 are the best in the league, or at worst, top 3. Here's how I project the starting five this year:

LT - Stanley Bryant

LG - Chris Greaves

C - Dominic Picard

RG - Patrick Neufeld

RT - Marc Dile

6th - Mathias Goossen

Reserve/PR - Quinn Everett, Jace Daniels, Devin Tyler

This OL transformation by Walters is very impressive and reminds me a little of a couple years ago when the Riders were regarded as having the best OL in the league, and went on to win the Grey Cup, in large part because of their great OL. However, unlike Taman, Walters strategy is sustainable based on the contracts he is giving out. We are seeing now that Taman mortgaged the future and the Riders are paying for those consequences now.

A lot will rest on Bob Wylie's shoulders to get the hogs to gel and to get the run game going and provide better protection for Drew Willy. The results will speak for itself, but at least on paper, this Bombers offensive line looks dominant; its now up to Wylie and Bellefeuille to make it work. Well done Mr. Walters. It's an exciting time to be a Bomber fan.

I'm extremely glad that this was the main area that Kyle focused greatly on in the off season. We would've never seen any of this from Mack and his crew. This organization looks to be crawling out of the laughing stock of the league and now into a team that people are beginning to take notice of.

What happens if these guys don't mesh as a unit? What if Dile is hurt and can't play, what if Picard is washed up? What if Greaves and Neufeld don't pick up their games? I know it's fun to look at the names and say they are one of the best, but I think tempering expectations is a good idea. Let's save this kind of talk until it's actually proven on the field. 

What happens if these guys don't mesh as a unit? What if Dile is hurt and can't play, what if Picard is washed up? What if Greaves and Neufeld don't pick up their games? I know it's fun to look at the names and say they are one of the best, but I think tempering expectations is a good idea. Let's save this kind of talk until it's actually proven on the field.

what ifs apply to every team, not just the Bombers. It's a fresh start with some solids names on O, let's be optimistic instead of analytical.

I like this years 'What If's' better than last years.  I'm stoked that they finally did something about the O line that didn't involve drafting and crossing their fingers that we'd have a good O line sometime down the road.  I expect us to be in the top half of the league this year, which is a big step forward.  

My guess for the O line:  Bryant, Greaves, Picard, Goosen, Daniels with Neufeld as the 6th.  Tyler, Dile and Newbie Draft pick on the PR/Reserve.

what ifs apply to every team, not just the Bombers. It's a fresh start with some solids names on O, let's be optimistic instead of analytical.

An OL with this much turnover typically takes 4-5 weeks to gel, so don't be surprised if there are some early season struggles with the OL.  But once they gel, I expect this OL to be dominant.  And we couldn't ask for a better guy than Wylie to help make that happen.

I see the transformation of our O-Line as a smart one being kick-started by the availability of Picard. Walters picked it up from there and scored a major hit with Bryant, and who really expected that? 

I believe they believe they have something in Jace Daniels and the acquisition of Dile is a smart gamble. 

We now, have, possibly, an O-Line that Wylie can transform into a very good unit, an O-Line that will be a positive for the team instead of a distraction.

Too early to get too excited?

Yes and no, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

17's not being analytical. He's being realistic. 

And just for the record, I didn't say don't be optimistic, I said temper expectations. Talk of league best before even starting training camp? with 3 new faces? That's jumping the gun. Wait until they show it before we make claims about best in the league or top 3 or whatever.

Three new faces is 60% of the OL. That's pretty huge.

I agree with Rebusrankin. They'll be better. The bar was set pretty low here for a long time. We just don't know how much. The Bryant acquisition is huge. Willy's blindside should be a lot safer from players coming off the edge. Dile is a very good player but has to stay healthy. Picard if he can perform up to the level he has been playing at center those 3 will make a huge difference. But I'm with 17, let's just wait & see how they do as a unit. 

what if 1000 pigeons flew over Portage and Main and all **** at the same time?

Going to be better, guarenteed.. Going to be dominant?? Potential for greatness is there but an oline needs to be cohesive.. Gotta make sure all these horses can work together and be that monster line we have been desperately waiting for..

what if 1000 pigeons flew over Portage and Main and all **** at the same time?

Well, we know the answer to that more than how that unit will play together. ;)

The mere fact that we're not wasting our time waiting for those young guys (Kowalczuk, Pencer, Swiston, etc.) to develop into stater material, and have moved forward with an aggressive pursuit of for real O-Lineman is enough to give me calculated hope for a better running attack and therefore better pass protection.

It's about bloody time.

Funny that you didn't unleash this same logic in the Glenn thread.  

Funny that you didn't unleash this same logic in the Glenn thread.  

Because we're talking inexperienced rookies at qb in the Glenn thread. We had experienced OL & they still sucked.  Asking a rookie qb with limited experience to carry the team on his back if he has to is just asking for trouble. So apples to oranges.