1 Toronto and 4 Cups (in 12 years)

Someone on the CFL forum posted a rumour involving MLSE and their negotiations with the league to buy the Argos from Braley.  Supposedly, one of their conditions for buying the Argos are hosting the Grey Cup four times in 12 years.  This would offset any potential losses during the regular season, pay for renovating BMO into a football-compatible facility and pay for the purchase of the Argos themselves (rumoured to be in the $10 million range).

This rumour could very well be bs, but if it's true, what are your thoughts?

Do you consider awarding the Argos with 4 Grey Cups in such a short time span to be a necessary evil to ensure their long-term survival in Toronto?

Or do you think they should wait their turn like every team - 8 - 10 years - and if MLSE refuses to buy them because their conditions are not met and they fold, so be it?

Apparently the league is offering them 3 Grey Cups in 12 years

Guarantee them 2 Cups, and conditionally give them 1-2 more if they demonstrate commitment to making the Argos succeed and/or the financial need. City of Toronto would need to give some major kickbacks to the Argos and CFL somehow because the city certainly doesn't deserve the economic benefits hosting 4 Grey cups would give them.

I'd have no issue if it were 2 Grey Cups in 10 years, 3 in 12 I could at least get behind, but 4 in 12 is just plain nuts. I'd like to see the CFL go into a proper rotation, with Montreal out due to the Big Owe's issues and BC struggling to sell and giveaway tickets for the 102nd (along with 3 in 10 years), I think we can keep those 2 out for awhile.

2016 - IMO should be Hamilton

2017 - Ottawa (all but guaranteed at this point)

2018 - Calgary

2019 - Toronto

2020 - Saskatchewan (to show off their new digs) 

In the last 12 years Vancouver has hosted it three times and the world didn't end. 

There is a lot of debate over how much a CFL franchise is worth. The Flames bought 70% of the Stampeders for $16million. I'd suggest that the Argos are worth more than $10million. Unless there's some deal in the works to assume some old debts or some structuring like that. 

In the last 12 years Vancouver has hosted it three times and the world didn't end. 

There is a lot of debate over how much a CFL franchise is worth. The Flames bought 70% of the Stampeders for $16million. I'd suggest that the Argos are worth more than $10million. Unless there's some deal in the works to assume some old debts or some structuring like that. 

BC didn't sell out last years game and even with giveaways were still around 2k short of capacity, a lot less buzz last season as well.

The value of CFL franchises should be considerably higher now with the new TV deal.

Wasn't a sell out but still 52,000+ for the game. 

8,000 more than Regina had the year before.

Pricing has as much to do with it as the buzz. Much like the Touchdown Atlantic games they've priced themselves out of average fan territory.

The prices for most of those upper deck seats at BC Place were ridiculous, especially the corners at $288

Toronto & vancouver used to toss the game back & forth in the 60's & 70's... Throw in Montreal in the mix back then every few years as well. I have no problem with Toronto getting a GC every three years or so. If we get the ownership situation with the Argos sorted out. Braley's gotta go. 

Pricing has as much to do with it as the buzz. Much like the Touchdown Atlantic games they've priced themselves out of average fan territory.

The prices for most of those upper deck seats at BC Place were ridiculous, especially the corners at $288

Imagine the prices for a Grey Cup in Toronto at BMO Field under MLSE ownership................................. <_<

Imagine the prices for a Grey Cup in Toronto at BMO Field under MLSE ownership................................. <_<

Imagine the CFL with no Toronto... 

What makes you think the GC would be held at BMO Field. It would be at Rogers Centre like it has been in the past.

I am shocked to see so many people here are OK with that... The Grey Cup is the big money maker for every club in the league, most times the business model for teams is break even until you host the Grey Cup then profit from hosting. I am absolutely opposed to catering to Toronto and giving them the Grey Cup more often than everyone else. **** them. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think some are ok with it because you guys are hosting it this year. We are building a new stadium and I want us to have our regular shot at hosting the cup. To hell with the Argos, enough league money has went to them over the years. MLSE is a joke anyway, look at the Leafs, laughing stock of the nhl. The same fate awaits the Argos under their control, the difference will be that the whole stadium won't be sold out with season tickets from second and third generation drones dreaming of championships from yester years. They will fail and the Argos will continue to a burden to the league. How many cups have we given to Braley these past few years via the LIons/Argos? Has that helped? 

I am shocked to see so many people here are OK with that... The Grey Cup is the big money maker for every club in the league, most times the business model for teams is break even until you host the Grey Cup then profit from hosting. I am absolutely opposed to catering to Toronto and giving them the Grey Cup more often than everyone else. **** them. 

Agreed. I appreciate the need to have a viable Toronto franchise in the league, but where does it stop, and how is throwing G.C. cash at them going to ensure their viability (especially if, by doing so it takes funds from other teams). I would love to see a timeline of CFL teams that have been propped up by the more stable franchises. Hasn't T.O. been helped in the past?

Let's not go there.

And by that I mean, no CFL in Toronto.

Can we agree that the Argos have to get out of Rogers Centre, and rid themselves of Braley?

I think so.

Braley gets 2 Grey Cups now…that's gotta end.

Is this a way do do both?

It's a start.

Same with the negotiations. 

It's a start.

They don't have to get everything they're asking for..but the league has to get out of the sheer lunacy that is playing out of Rogers Centre and  the restrictions that accompany it.

This is a way to do that, and I believe it will benefit the entire league in the long run.

Screw Toronto? Yeah, but let's not screw the whole league to do it.

As someone who attends the Grey Cup every year, my perspective may be a bit different.     Certain cities are better suited to host the game due to the number of hotels, transit system, and transportation in and out.   Toronto is one of best locations due to these factors.   Regina is by far the worst for out of towners to attend, primarily due to the lack of hotel space. 

The revenue questions should be addressed by the league taking a higher percentage of the profits, so that all teams benefit more each year.  Yes, the home team should still make a decent profit to ensure that they have the incentive to run a great event, but the massive windfall ought not be an on-going situation.

I do agree that the ticket prices have been escalating at an absurd pace, and I don't believe that this is sustainable.  I paid 388 per ticket (after fees) and got nose-bleed seats at BC Place.  I bought the tickets the morning they became available to me as a Bomber season ticket holder.   I was at centre field, but still, that's a big price for seats that high.    The CFL has always relied on the middle class fan for their base of support, and they are now starting to price them out of attending the Grey Cup. 

What makes you think the GC would be held at BMO Field. It would be at Rogers Centre like it has been in the past.

Do you have a source for Grey Cups continuing at the Dome ?

Not that I don't believe Grey Cups could continue at Rogers Centre if they felt like it, however according to Tim Leiweke it would be held at BMO.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/winter-classic-could-be-coming-to-toronto/

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/tim-leiweke-comments-putting-grey-cup-bmo-field-191351780.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/acc-bmo-field-plan-upgrade-leaving-rogers-centre-behind/article21515673/?page=all

Special Event seating also states Grey Cup, although it looks as though the 40k number is for the soccer setup.

https://argosadmirals.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/bmo40k.png

Lastly, bare in mind that the Rogers Centre is solely owned by Rogers not MLSE. A lot of money is being put into BMO, it would stand to reason that holding major events there would generate more $$$ for MLSE not just Rogers.