1 Toronto and 4 Cups (in 12 years)

**** Toronto, **** the Argos...."imagine the league without the Argos", Iso? I try to every day...

A league without the Argos means a hugely diminished tv deal & I think the ultimate doom of the league as teams will again be strapped for cash. Like it or not... & I don't like it... but we need the Argos to be a viable franchise in the CFL to make it a success. The way Braley is running things now is grinding that, team into the ground.

What makes you think the GC would be held at BMO Field. It would be at Rogers Centre like it has been in the past.

Do you have a source for Grey Cups continuing at the Dome ?

Not that I don't believe Grey Cups could continue at Rogers Centre if they felt like it, however according to Tim Leiweke it would be held at BMO.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/winter-classic-could-be-coming-to-toronto/

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/tim-leiweke-comments-putting-grey-cup-bmo-field-191351780.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/acc-bmo-field-plan-upgrade-leaving-rogers-centre-behind/article21515673/?page=all

Special Event seating also states Grey Cup, although it looks as though the 40k number is for the soccer setup.

https://argosadmirals.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/bmo40k.png

Lastly, bare in mind that the Rogers Centre is solely owned by Rogers not MLSE. A lot of money is being put into BMO, it would stand to reason that holding major events there would generate more $$$ for MLSE not just Rogers.

All the stories I've read are that future Grey Cups would be held at the BMO Field &  not Rogers Centre. MLSE wants the Grey Cup to generate revenue for them. The Jays & Rogers want the CFL out & it's why I will never buy a device from Rogers as long as I live. Rogers can go **** themselves.

I stand corrected. I forgot about the grass movement with Rogers.

And on that front

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/13/toronto-blue-jays-want-grass-in-the-rogers-centre-an-inside-look-at-the-difficult-growth-process-it-requires/

I do recall Beeston and Pelley stating on the Fan590 that once the baseball season was over, they could go back to holding events, although it was more along the lines of they could still hold Bills games (that's finished now anyways). Essentially the stands would only be mounted down during the season to protect the grass.

• 4 weeks later...

In the last 12 years Vancouver has hosted it three times and the world didn't end. 

There is a lot of debate over how much a CFL franchise is worth. The Flames bought 70% of the Stampeders for $16million. I'd suggest that the Argos are worth more than $10million. Unless there's some deal in the works to assume some old debts or some structuring like that. 

Last 12 years and the next 12 are very different.  A few teams/governments with stadium debts to service relying on those Grey Cups to make those payments and fund their operations in a more general sense.

This could really speed things up with the Argos moving to BMO Field:

@CFL_News: Outgoing #CFL commissioner @MarkCohon is odds-on favourite to replace Tim Leiweke as new CEO of MLSE...via @VanSunSports

Or he could be a thorn in the side of negotiations as now he's working for MLSE. Time will tell. 

@CFL_News: Outgoing #CFL commissioner @MarkCohon is odds-on favourite to replace Tim Leiweke as new CEO of MLSE...via @VanSunSports

Or he could be a thorn in the side of negotiations as now he's working for MLSE. Time will tell.
I really can't see that but I guess some people like seeing the negative side of a situation.

I really can't see that but I guess some people like seeing the negative side of a situation.

Just sayin'. You  never know. 

Wasn't a sell out but still 52,000+ for the game. 

8,000 more than Regina had the year before.

Pricing has as much to do with it as the buzz. Much like the Touchdown Atlantic games they've priced themselves out of average fan territory.

The prices for most of those upper deck seats at BC Place were ridiculous, especially the corners at $288

Imagine the prices for a Grey Cup in Toronto at BMO Field under MLSE ownership................................. <_<

Imagine the CFL with no Toronto... 

It would be fantastic. No games with 12,000 people in attendance, 8,000 of which don't give a **** about the game to begin with, no teams being forced to play on a short week as they wouldn't have to play Tuesday night games because of the Rogers clowns, and the financial bailouts would come to an end as well. I'd pack the Argos boxes for them if they were to leave the CFL and write "good riddance" on the packaging tape.

All good to dump on the Argos...in theory.

It's the repercussions we don't see yet if the Toronto market is not served.

The complaints are the product of an unreasonable situation the Argos find themselves in due to that horrible lease situation. They are not partners there, they are fillers...for the bottom end of the calendar of dates at Rogers Centre.

There is a possible solution there, with the answer being, playing at BMO field. They'll get better attendance and better dates to play, solving most people's complaints.

Why don't we just hope for that?

• 1 month later...

Apparently it's now 2 cups in 10 years...or so the reports say.  Also, apparently MLSE are reported to not be one of the interested parties in purchasing the Argos.  Group with Cynamon and Pinball are said to be interested and might be willing to invest $10 million into BMO as part of the $20 - $30 million needed for conversion into a football field.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/24/live-leiweke-updates-bmo-field-argos-talks

On Friday — 10 days before the Argos need to decide whether they want to strike a deal with MLSE to play at BMO Field next year, outgoing MLSE president and CEO Tim Leiweke told the Exhibition Place board there is a “potential new ownership group” willing to foot half of the $20 million required to expand the field for the Canadian Football League.

“I’m optimistic we will get this done, but we have 10 days or we’re going to miss that window,” Leiweke said. “I believe there is a potential new ownership group that is not only prepared to step up and put in that additional $10 million, but handle the operation of the team long-term once they would move into BMO Field.”

Part of the potential deal involving the unnamed interested new owner would also involve a minimum of two Grey Cups to be hosted at BMO Field. Leiweke said design drawings have been completed to modify end zones for increased field size for the Argos in order to prepare for a last-minute deal and to get the plans in on time for Phase Two of renovations, slated for completion in May 2016. Shovels need to be in the ground for October to accommodate the CFL.

Apparently it's now 2 cups in 10 years...or so the reports say.  Also, apparently MLSE are reported to not be one of the interested parties in purchasing the Argos.  Group with Cynamon and Pinball are said to be interested and might be willing to invest $10 million into BMO as part of the $20 - $30 million needed for conversion into a football field.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/24/live-leiweke-updates-bmo-field-argos-talks

On Friday — 10 days before the Argos need to decide whether they want to strike a deal with MLSE to play at BMO Field next year, outgoing MLSE president and CEO Tim Leiweke told the Exhibition Place board there is a “potential new ownership group” willing to foot half of the $20 million required to expand the field for the Canadian Football League.

“I’m optimistic we will get this done, but we have 10 days or we’re going to miss that window,” Leiweke said. “I believe there is a potential new ownership group that is not only prepared to step up and put in that additional $10 million, but handle the operation of the team long-term once they would move into BMO Field.”

Part of the potential deal involving the unnamed interested new owner would also involve a minimum of two Grey Cups to be hosted at BMO Field. Leiweke said design drawings have been completed to modify end zones for increased field size for the Argos in order to prepare for a last-minute deal and to get the plans in on time for Phase Two of renovations, slated for completion in May 2016. Shovels need to be in the ground for October to accommodate the CFL.

Good news!

In the last 12 years Vancouver has hosted it three times and the world didn't end. 

There is a lot of debate over how much a CFL franchise is worth. The Flames bought 70% of the Stampeders for $16million. I'd suggest that the Argos are worth more than $10million. Unless there's some deal in the works to assume some old debts or some structuring like that. 

Last 12 years and the next 12 are very different.  A few teams/governments with stadium debts to service relying on those Grey Cups to make those payments and fund their operations in a more general sense.

In the last 10 years when Vancouver hosted 3 times there was also Montreal and Calgary in the rotation and both likely are out of the Grey Cup host talk for the next decade which opens up two years for hosting even before reviewing the Vancouver situation. They should drop at least one if not two out of the rotation.

Toronto already gets 2 Grey Cups per decade anyhow so it shouldn't be too difficult to set up games for the new stadiums.