Section S and the beer snake returns!

Mr. Perfect

Great marketing ploy I guess. Just wondering if any of the fanatics as they are called stayed away for the last two years. Here another great one which Miller might consider which might be a novelty here, a decent team on the field?

So you really believe Miller is not committed to putting a better team on the field?

It would appear not quite as much as bringing in the beer snake since that was his first public item of business.  Don't you agree if they don't take this rebuilding seriously it will take a lot more than beer snakes to sell tickets? I don't care about beer snakes, I just don't want to keep hearing it will take another two years when we have heard that for years. Hamilton got it done in one year even after suspending Chris Williams and Edmonton who were with us last year could end up 13-5. 

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.  

Yes, I think winning is job #1 and I think they understand that.

They also realize that creating a fun environment and listening to what their fan base wants is another avenue towards success.  It really does take both.  You can argue whether or not bringing the beer snake back is creating a "fun environment".   But I think it represents more the gesture then whether or not it will actually sell more tickets.  It is trying to say we value you us customers to our product and we will try to give you and entertain you in the way you want to be entertained (as long as they can do it safely), rather then a take it or leave it proposition.   They are trying to put the "fun" back into going to the game.  Trying to make it an event, an atmosphere. 

You can see the beginnings of that this year with the party tent outside the stadium before the game.  The DJ "traffic busters" after the game.  Getting fans to raise the flag before each game.  Getting people to stand and cheer on all kick-offs.  It is all part of a bigger picture to create a culture and atmosphere that people enjoy and want to be a part of.  (Even though a lot of it is copied from Seattle)   Some of it will work, some of it won't.  But at least they are trying different things.

Of course they want to win and build a winner.  But nothing is guaranteed.  Sure they believe the right people are in place to do the job or they wouldn't be there.  But we really don't know if they CAN do the job for another year or two (whether you want to hear that or not).   Nothing, especially in professional sports, is certain.  

So yes, they are trying to build a winner.  But that doesn't mean they can't try and build a fun atmosphere outside of that.  It is only smart business to hedge your bets like that.  And in a perfect world, when the team starts winning, and all of these things they are trying combine together, IGF will be an amazing, fun rocking place to be. And when the younger fans go and experience that first hand .... that is how you build long term support of the club.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

The problem with this is, loosening the rules is great.  I support that.  Someone tripping down the stairs should not result in stricter drink sales anymore than it should result in the removal of stairs.

But announcing this was stupid.  Allowing behaviour and endorsing behaviour are two different things.  The fact this is a story is idiotic.

This is my real issue. It's not so much that they're repealing the ban, it's that they're making a point to announce it. It's moronic...

Its actually laughably unprofessional and makes me question Wade Miller's leadership.  Not enough to care either way but if he thought this was a good idea, he needs to go back to business school for a couple of years.

As someone who doesn't care about the beer snake or section S one way or another, I find it extremely nitpicky to be upset that they happened to announce a change in policy.  How are people supposed to know otherwise?  Seems like the introduction of a "student" section is something that people would have to know about for it to actually work.

Don't really care, sat is Section S a few times in my younger days at the old stadium and while it was fun, seemed to distract from the game a bit. I'm at the point where i'd  rather watch the game and not be distracted by all the craziness around me. It is what it is. Good on them though for realizing there is a segment of fans who do go to the  games to get drunk and stand the whole time and all that stuff, it's cool, not for me anymore but... i think it's cool that they are  bringing it back. As far as the beer snake is concerned, Well whatever really, if it means people will have more fun and actually stay in their seats instead of congregating on the concourse, so be it. 

As someone who doesn't care about the beer snake or section S one way or another, I find it extremely nitpicky to be upset that they happened to announce a change in policy.  How are people supposed to know otherwise?  Seems like the introduction of a "student" section is something that people would have to know about for it to actually work.

Bringing back Section S is fine.  Making any sort of announcement about juvenile bahaviour changes the story to that specific thing and endorses said behaviour.  A wiser course of action would have been to simply say they want Section S to be as fun and engaged as it used to be and will not be looking to enforce rules abour harmless behaviour if its just people having a good time.  The problem now is, the "beer snake" is now a "thing" and will dominate a lot of coverage at the beginning of next season.  If anyone gets hurt or causes a fight as a result, Wade will have to then rescind the policy change.  Its just silly.  I find it kind of embarrassing.

Just cuz a beer snake is considered juvenile behavior to some, doesn't mean it is to others.

What's that quote, it's from a song... how does it a go?

"Now a days no one remembers when they were young and stupid" That's the one.

I do remember tho when i was young and stupid and back in my younger days, i would have thoroughly enjoyed what they are doing right now.

Way i see it? I don't plan on  getting tickets in that section so really... why should i actually care or be bothered about something that has zero effect on me. 

I mean really, unless this directly effects you and you plan on sitting in that section, who honestly cares.

But guess what, by announcing it, if you don't like it, now you know to not buy tickets in those sections. 

Great marketing ploy I guess. Just wondering if any of the fanatics as they are called stayed away for the last two years. Here another great one which Miller might consider which might be a novelty here, a decent team on the field?

It's cleary one or the other for these two options.

Mutually exclusive.  Next they'll have to decide if they're having cheerleaders or fireworks.  There can be only one.

Just cuz a beer snake is considered juvenile behavior to some, doesn't mean it is to others.

I do remember tho when i was young and stupid and back in my younger days, i would have thoroughly enjoyed what they are doing right now.

Way i see it? I don't plan on  getting tickets in that section so really... why should i actually care or be bothered about something that has zero effect on me. 

I mean really, unless this directly effects you and you plan on sitting in that section, who honestly cares.

But guess what, by announcing it, if you don't like it, now you know to not buy tickets in those sections. 

You are definitively right about that. Like everything else once it loses its tv coverage it will be one to something else.

I would have expected Miller to say something like:"We have raised the price of some tickets to help us better the product we put on the filed. Further to present a fun atmosphere to the youthful fans we will relax some policies."

Bringing back Section S is fine.  Making any sort of announcement about juvenile bahaviour changes the story to that specific thing and endorses said behaviour.  A wiser course of action would have been to simply say they want Section S to be as fun and engaged as it used to be and will not be looking to enforce rules abour harmless behaviour if its just people having a good time.  The problem now is, the "beer snake" is now a "thing" and will dominate a lot of coverage at the beginning of next season.  If anyone gets hurt or causes a fight as a result, Wade will have to then rescind the policy change.  Its just silly.  I find it kind of embarrassing.

Oh yeah good idea...announce that they are not going to enforce rules for harmless behaviour...great idea....not

Isnt saying you'd enjoy it when you were young and stupid mean you think it *is* juvenile?

Oh yeah good idea...announce that they are not going to enforce rules for harmless behaviour...great idea....not

Missed the point.

Missed the point.

The point is that saying something that general leaves people wondering "so what is the harmless behaviour that they are not going to enforce?"

So you really believe Miller is not committed to putting a better team on the field?

It would appear not quite as much as bringing in the beer snake since that was his first public item of business.  Don't you agree if they don't take this rebuilding seriously it will take a lot more than beer snakes to sell tickets? I don't care about beer snakes, I just don't want to keep hearing it will take another two years when we have heard that for years. Hamilton got it done in one year even after suspending Chris Williams and Edmonton who were with us last year could end up 13-5. 

the beer snake was brought up because they put out the season ticket renewal info and obviously some sections will be a bit different next year. Wait until the end of the freakin regular season before going nuts about about the moves he isn't making for next yeah.

Missed the point.

The point is that saying something that general leaves people wondering "so what is the harmless behaviour that they are not going to enforce?"

Theyd find out pretty quick, no?

Missed the point.

You really think a vague communication is better than being specific?   Wouldn’t this just cause more confusion and questions from people now wondering what will be allowed and not be allowed?  People are supposed to try and guess what now is allowed and what isn't, risking being punished if they guess wrong?  

The team got a lot of negative publicity when they banned the beer snake.   It was made into a big deal by the media and the people who enjoyed doing it.  They made a point of saying that the decision is now reversed.  Given the media attention it got at the time, yes it is worthwhile to mention in a press conference.

I could really care less if they bring the beer snake back or not.  But there are some people who enjoy that sort of thing, even if they are “juvenile”.  If that gets more butts in the seats, and increases beer sales without hurting anyone else, then have at it.

Do I think It's juvenile? That's irrelevant really. I won't be sitting there. Who the hell am i or who the hell is anyone else to sit here and tell people how to have fun anyway? 

It's none of my business really, if people want to stand all game, drink excessively, create beer snakes, honestly go for it.. it doesn't effect me one bit. A few years ago, i would have been right in the middle of it all... who the hell am i  to say what is right and what is wrong, could care less. And i'm definitely not gonna sit here and tell people how to have fun, people pay for their tickets, they can do what they want really. As long as it's with in reason, this stuff is all with in reason, like i care sitting in the lowerbowl 20 sections away what people in the student section do. 

Do I think It's juvenile? That's irrelevant really. I won't be sitting there. Who the hell am i or who the hell is anyone else to sit here and tell people how to have fun anyway? 

It's none of my business really, if people want to stand all game, drink excessively, create beer snakes, honestly go for it.. it doesn't effect me one bit. A few years ago, i would have been right in the middle of it all... who the hell am i  to say what is right and what is wrong, could care less. And i'm definitely not gonna sit here and tell people how to have fun, people pay for their tickets, they can do what they want really. As long as it's with in reason, this stuff is all with in reason, like i care sitting in the lowerbowl 20 sections away what people in the student section do. 

Just to clarify, do you care one way or the other?

Missed the point.

ok you think so? and that is a good way for them to find out? Here is the press release...The Winnipeg Blue Bombers Football Club is pleased to announce that we will NOT be enforcing rules for harmless behavior....if you want to know what those are....wait and see!. Yes in your mind I guess that is the way for them to find out. Not too hard to see you have never made up any rules and figured out a way to enforce them or not.

Missed the point.

ok you think so? and that is a good way for them to find out? Here is the press release...The Winnipeg Blue Bombers Football Club is pleased to announce that we will NOT be enforcing rules for harmless behavior....if you want to know what those are....wait and see!. Yes in your mind I guess that is the way for them to find out. Not too hard to see you have never made up any rules and figured out a way to enforce them or not.

Use your head, use some common sense, use a little logic and maybe stop smoking whatever it is you're smoking.  Obviously I didnt mean they should word it that way.  There's a way to say hey we want our fans to have fun at our games and we arent going to be nazi's about it.  Quite frankly, I wouldnt say anything.  I'd handle it internally and move on.  Then when some yahoos start a beer snake, they will notice security doesnt puff out their chests.

It's cleary one or the other for these two options.

Mutually exclusive.  Next they'll have to decide if they're having cheerleaders or fireworks.  There can be only one.

Terrific idea! Seeing they were unable to do the one on the field they're doing the other. 

Just to clarify, do you care one way or the other?

LOL. Short answer.. Nope. Long answer... Nope. 

Missed the point.

Use your head, use some common sense, use a little logic and maybe stop smoking whatever it is you're smoking.  Obviously I didnt mean they should word it that way.  There's a way to say hey we want our fans to have fun at our games and we arent going to be nazi's about it.  Quite frankly, I wouldnt say anything.  I'd handle it internally and move on.  Then when some yahoos start a beer snake, they will notice security doesnt puff out their chests.

Seems to me you are the one without logic. You didn't like the way they handled the snake announcement, then you say they should announce that they are not going to enforce rules for harmless behavior, I try to show you that you can't say things that way because it means nothing, then you say you don't get the point, but you don't offer your own version of a proper press release, then you say you wouldn't say anything which totally defeats what they are trying to accomplish with the announcement, and now you get downright nasty. Have a nice day!

the beer snake was brought up because they put out the season ticket renewal info and obviously some sections will be a bit different next year. Wait until the end of the freakin regular season before going nuts about about the moves he isn't making for next yeah.

Oh sorry, I guess I forgot we were playing this week but can't remember who. So why did Miller not wait until the end of the year?  According to you if it only happens next year why announce it today?