Section S and the beer snake returns!

Mr. Perfect

Did the team actually announce this?  Because if so, that is utterly stupid.  Its one thing to tell your security people that there are far more important things to worry about then some fans entertaining themselves in a non-violent, non-risky, non-annoying way.  But to actually announce it is akin to announcing a beer snake contest.  The first few games are likely going to be all about the beer snake.  Then it will die off.  Hopefully.

I will say this, I like Wade's atittude of not being a miserable old, fun-killing fogey.  Serving booze later.  Pre-game and post game events.  Its almost as if he's trying to run a successful business.  I hate when a few drunks get goofy and they ruin it for everyone, like when that kid jumped off the bridge and suddenly no one in Winnipeg was responsible enough to drink/

Anything to get more than 100 people in those sections is good in my opinion

Bomber rep told me that a significant number of seats in the north end zone are sold, but that those are the people who mostly hang out in the concessions and drink/socialize.  That's why it always looks so empty; the seats are sold but the ticket holders are drinking/socializing.

I have a bit of a unique perspective because my tickets are actually in Section 140 even though I am older than the average demographic of Section S I enjoy the atmosphere. I also bring my 10 year old to most games and he really hasn't seen or heard anything he doesn't hear while watching the away games at home. He is learning Blue language the same way I did and my father before me. By watching the Bombers with Dad.

Having said that I am more at the top of the section where it is less rowdy and the seats around me were mostly empty for the majority of last year. So I will take a year and see if that changes. Because there is a limit to the rowdiness I am willing to endure and I don't want to have to get up 60 times a game to let some cheese **** 19 year old make his 400 runs to the Rum Hut and the bathroom. I only make 100 such runs personally.

What I like is the continuing of Wade's venture to make the stadium a fun place to be. Rather than relying on draconian security practices he is trying to accommodate all different types of customers and not just the people who phone Gordon Sinclair the first time someone swears in front of them.

I also like that my tickets are going down $50 per seat next year. We'll see how it turns out.

Great marketing ploy I guess. Just wondering if any of the fanatics as they are called stayed away for the last two years. Here another great one which Miller might consider which might be a novelty here, a decent team on the field?

So you really believe Miller is not committed to putting a better team on the field?

Anything to get more than 100 people in those sections is good in my opinion

Bomber rep told me that a significant number of seats in the north end zone are sold, but that those are the people who mostly hang out in the concessions and drink/socialize.  That's why it always looks so empty; the seats are sold but the ticket holders are drinking/socializing.

I know many people who buy the cheapest seats and then just stand around the concourse area.

The problem with this is, loosening the rules is great.  I support that.  Someone tripping down the stairs should not result in stricter drink sales anymore than it should result in the removal of stairs.

But announcing this was stupid.  Allowing behaviour and endorsing behaviour are two different things.  The fact this is a story is idiotic.

Great marketing ploy I guess. Just wondering if any of the fanatics as they are called stayed away for the last two years. Here another great one which Miller might consider which might be a novelty here, a decent team on the field?

So you really believe Miller is not committed to putting a better team on the field?

It would appear not quite as much as bringing in the beer snake since that was his first public item of business.  Don't you agree if they don't take this rebuilding seriously it will take a lot more than beer snakes to sell tickets? I don't care about beer snakes, I just don't want to keep hearing it will take another two years when we have heard that for years. Hamilton got it done in one year even after suspending Chris Williams and Edmonton who were with us last year could end up 13-5. 

It would appear not quite as much as bringing in the beer snake since that was his first public item of business.  Don't you agree if they don't take this rebuilding seriously it will take a lot more than beer snakes to sell tickets? I don't care about beer snakes, I just don't want to keep hearing it will take another two years when we have heard that for years. Hamilton got it done in one year even after suspending Chris Williams and Edmonton who were with us last year could end up 13-5. 

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.  

Yes, I think winning is job #1 and I think they understand that.

They also realize that creating a fun environment and listening to what their fan base wants is another avenue towards success.  It really does take both.  You can argue whether or not bringing the beer snake back is creating a "fun environment".   But I think it represents more the gesture then whether or not it will actually sell more tickets.  It is trying to say we value you us customers to our product and we will try to give you and entertain you in the way you want to be entertained (as long as they can do it safely), rather then a take it or leave it proposition.   They are trying to put the "fun" back into going to the game.  Trying to make it an event, an atmosphere. 

You can see the beginnings of that this year with the party tent outside the stadium before the game.  The DJ "traffic busters" after the game.  Getting fans to raise the flag before each game.  Getting people to stand and cheer on all kick-offs.  It is all part of a bigger picture to create a culture and atmosphere that people enjoy and want to be a part of.  (Even though a lot of it is copied from Seattle)   Some of it will work, some of it won't.  But at least they are trying different things.

Of course they want to win and build a winner.  But nothing is guaranteed.  Sure they believe the right people are in place to do the job or they wouldn't be there.  But we really don't know if they CAN do the job for another year or two (whether you want to hear that or not).   Nothing, especially in professional sports, is certain.  

So yes, they are trying to build a winner.  But that doesn't mean they can't try and build a fun atmosphere outside of that.  It is only smart business to hedge your bets like that.  And in a perfect world, when the team starts winning, and all of these things they are trying combine together, IGF will be an amazing, fun rocking place to be. And when the younger fans go and experience that first hand .... that is how you build long term support of the club.

The problem with this is, loosening the rules is great.  I support that.  Someone tripping down the stairs should not result in stricter drink sales anymore than it should result in the removal of stairs.

But announcing this was stupid.  Allowing behaviour and endorsing behaviour are two different things.  The fact this is a story is idiotic.

This is my real issue. It's not so much that they're repealing the ban, it's that they're making a point to announce it. It's moronic...