Grigsby not getting first team practice reps - Cotton to start VS Edmonton

Mr. Perfect

Of course in the "I'm here to build & not tear down" mode of thinking by our rookie head coach, we can't bring in any international linebackers to see if they're better than what we already have, can we? #businessasusual

At this stage of the season, you're not bringing in a fresh rookie anywhere and throwing him right into the lineup. That's not how football works in week 16. Of course you can bring players in for a look, but you're not going to say they are better than X player at this point in time.

But to be satisfied with the status quo? Competition is always a good thing. It's never bad. NFL cuts were a month ago & yet we stood pat.So we brought in a couple of receivers. No intl OL. No intl linebackers, running backs or DL?? Maybe one or two guys could have helped us immediately. If McManus is as good a scout as he is supposed to be then we may have found us a a keeper or two. We'll never know though as we didn't do anything.

How can a team that went 3-15 last year & is on a 5 or 6 game losing streak now just blow off its fans by saying that nothing can be done? And MOS saying that his job is to build & not tear down? Just execute & play better? How naive does he think the Bomber fanbase is? Really? No his job & the same with Walters is to win. I know this team has a lot of holes & to make the playoffs is a herculean task. All the more reason to bring in players to fill these holes. Players to push the ones we have to play better. Or to push the deadwood out the door. 

And their not satisfied with the status quo, you can bet your bottom dollar on that. There's only so much you can do realistically over the course of a regular season. The bulk of the movement will be made in the offseason. There was lots of turnover last offseason, and you can bet there will be lots again in the upcoming offseason as well considering we are hosting the Grey Cup next year. If you asked people in May if they would be happy with a 6 or 7 win season, the intelligent majority would have said yes considering we won only 3 times last year. Starting off 5-1 was more of a curse than a good thing because it unfairly raised the expectations of the fan base. Make no mistake, the team is committed to building a winner, but it takes time. Considering where this team has come from in less than a year, there is no reason to believe that the powers that be will fail in making that happen IMO.

It's not only that where there are holes in his argument.

Complaining about having no OL brought in ... yet we've brought in Chad Anderson and Jace Daniels.

Complaining about having no DL brought in ... yet we've brought in Marvin Booker and Greg Hickman.

Complaning about having no RB brought in ... we just moved McGuffie onto the active and now we're putting Cotton in. Changes have been made there too.

Maybe one or two of those guys could have helped us immediately? Booker and Hickman are contributing on the 44 man roster.

The only part he didn't miss on was the LB part.

Thanks Mike for giving me just a little credit here on the linebackers like I'm some idiot who has never watched or coached football as well as followed the CFL for years before. Our OL is really playing bloody lights out right now. So lights out that Drew Willy is becoming a human Piniata. Our DL is still being pushed back 5 yards every running play. Our Lbers are what they are & will be. As an organization you bring in players until you find guys that can play. It's always been that way. Then if it isn't players it's obviously the coaching. And we all know what is going to happen there going forward. I just can't wait to see our players execute better & we start winning again. The solution is so simple. Right in front of our noses. Just execute better. 

Look Mike, I think that as a team we are much better than we were before. I think we are on the right track. Maybe not as much as I thought a month ago but I'm not ready to jettison MOS or Walters. Overall, things are better. I do find MOS a bit combative & increasingly stubborn which is worrisome as we've seen that here in the past  & things did not ever end well when that happened Like you're either with him or against him. I expected the Bombers  under Miller & Walters to do more. To get the international players to make this team better. Canadians are going to take longer to develop, I understand that. More than willing to give this regime  more than a chance to prove themselves in the future. 

not that ANYONE should ever be compared with Blink, but I humbly suggest that Charles Roberts did far more with far worse than Grigsby... (just to counter the comment about Barry Sanders or whatever...)

Pity anybody forced to run behind the likes of Dan Gyetvai, Moe Elewonibi (in that stage of his career anyway), Mudge from 2004 on, and Benidict Ibisi. Charlie deserves badges of honour for doing that.

not that ANYONE should ever be compared with Blink, but I humbly suggest that Charles Roberts did far more with far worse than Grigsby... (just to counter the comment about Barry Sanders or whatever...)

Pity anybody forced to run behind the likes of Dan Gyetvai, Moe Elewonibi (in that stage of his career anyway), Mudge from 2004 on, and Benidict Ibisi. Charlie deserves badges of honour for doing that.

Someone mentioned earlier RBs who can take a 3 yard loss and turn it into a 3 yard gain. In my time (1980-present) I've never seen anyone work more such miracles than ol' Charlie...

There are lots of individual plays that can sum up the problems people have with Grigsby... one happened in a recent game, he had a hole from the OL and he hit that hole, but a defensive lineman got a hand on him and rather than shaking off an arm tackle like every other RB in the league can do down he goes for 3 yards. He keeps on his feet at minor contact and he probably runs for at least 10 yards maybe more. It's not asking too much to expect a running back to be able to run through arm tackles, but Grigsby goes down on contact way way too easily. I suspect he just has terrible balance. 

It's not the number of players that matters.  It's the number of players who can upgrade the current starter that matters.  Booker and Hickman are only on the 44 due to injury.  Neither are expected to be upgrades to our starters.

How do you know?  Got a personal sit-down with Kyle Walters and Mike O'Shea?

And what would  you expect them to say  if he did? 

Where did the Richardson comparison come from?

Nowhere in particular. Just a receiver that I have liked for a long time that took a while to develop in this league. Obviously, he wasn't a running back but I just look at the way Grigsby runs with the ball after the catch and he reminds me of a young Jamell. The comparison could be to any good YAC receiver though. The point I was trying to make was that Grigsby could give us that big playYAC receiver that we just don't seem to have right now on a consistent basis IF he could make the transition to receiver. It would be interesting actually to see him and Cotton in a 2 back set with Grigsby in more of a receiver/RB hybrid role. With Watson being very good in blitz pickup this could be a formation that gives opposing DCs some headaches.

It's not the number of players that matters. It's the number of players who can upgrade the current starter that matters. Booker and Hickman are only on the 44 due to injury. Neither are expected to be upgrades to our starters.

How do you know? Got a personal sit-down with Kyle Walters and Mike O'Shea?

And what would you expect them to say if he did?

Booker has been an upgrade and a pleasant surprise. And that's what happens when you give a guy you believe in more than one game worth of reps.

You keep implying we should have some kind of revolving door where we try guys out and if they fail to excel, we move on to the next one. That's not how any sensible manager of people works. Hickman and especially Booker have shown good things. Those were guys who came after the NFL cutdown period. Exactly what you were crying for, so at least be bothered to acknowledge it.

hardest Bomber runner I ever saw was Willard Reaves. That guy was explosive & strong. He had no issues with first contact. Too bad Cal Murphy never appreciated him or he may have played another 5 years in a Bomber uniform. 

Willard Reaves is my all time favourite Bomber but do you really believe he would have turned down a shot at the NFL if Murphy had been nicer.

People need to stop bitching about Grigsby....Tied for third in rushing...leads in rushing TDs....second In yards Recieving by RBs to Andrew Harris. Similar yards as Whitiker who plays behind a far superior o line than Grigsby. What exactly do people expect from Grigsby?

Have you watched him play? He's a poor running back. Decent receiver though.

I'd start Grisby ahead of Romby.

I wouldn't go that far, however, I think the Bombers should seriously consider converting Grigsby to receiver over the offseason. He's average at best as a RB but he could be a dynamic receiver if he was able to make the transition. A young Jamel Richardson in the making. It would take some work and carries some risk but the payoff could be huge.

If you'll notice most of Grigsby's catches are made when no one is covering him.  Not sure he would be a good route runner or be able to catch the ball in traffic.  He'd probably do well with YAC though.   Grigsby has talent and I believe he is a valuable commodity, just need to find the best way to make use of that talent.  He might just turn out to be a Durie with the wrong passport.

I've been waiting all year for Cotton to be given an honest chance to showcase the success he exhibited in the pre-season but at this point running under Marcel's orchestration I highly doubt he will be able to accomplish much more than Grigsby.  Hard to prove a RB's worth on 5-10 carries per game but here's hoping he grabs the ball and runs with it, I predict this is his last chance.

I am glad we are starting Cotton. I would hope he would be given all the games if he does well. If he does then Grigby was the problem. If things are the same then the problem is somewhere else. At least the switch should clear the air about where we're weak. 

It's not the number of players that matters. It's the number of players who can upgrade the current starter that matters. Booker and Hickman are only on the 44 due to injury. Neither are expected to be upgrades to our starters.

Booker has been an upgrade and a pleasant surprise. And that's what happens when you give a guy you believe in more than one game worth of reps.

You keep implying we should have some kind of revolving door where we try guys out and if they fail to excel, we move on to the next one. That's not how any sensible manager of people works. Hickman and especially Booker have shown good things. Those were guys who came after the NFL cutdown period. Exactly what you were crying for, so at least be bothered to acknowledge it.

Well, it used to be. Too bad the CFL doesn't have what it used to have called a 5 Day Trial. A player comes in & has 5 practices to impress or he's gone. I can name you so many players who came into the CFL in mid season after NFL Cutdown Day who ended up being stars up here starting as 5 Day Trials. Too bad we can't do that anymore. Like I said, competition brings out the best in players. And I wasn't "crying". I was make a point of discussion. That is what we do around here isn't it? Dan Kepley, Willard Reaves, John Hufnagel, George McGowan, James Murphy, Jeff Boyd, Willie Burden, Jay Washington, Tom Burgess & Kent Austin are guys I remember for sure that came in for 5 Day Trials & played for years. The CFL did away with the 5 Day Trials over 20 years ago. And why do you talk down to people you don't like or agree with? The other mods have sent out PMs to people here asking to show more respect & what do you do??? Oh & one more thing, I don't know what I did to piss you off but if you want us members to have decorum around here & respect other people then practice what you preach & do the same, Mike. Be a leader as a mod & set an  example.

Well, it used to be. Too bad the CFL doesn't have what it used to have called a 5 Day Trial. A player comes in & has 5 practices to impress or he's gone. I can name you so many players who came into the CFL in mid season after NFL Cutdown Day who ended up being stars up here starting as 5 Day Trials. Too bad we can't do that anymore. Like I said, competition brings out the best in players. And I wasn't "crying". I was make a point of discussion. That is what we do around here isn't it? Dan Kepley, Willard Reaves, John Hufnagel, George McGowan, James Murphy, Jeff Boyd, Willie Burden, Jay Washington, Tom Burgess & Kent Austin are guys I remember for sure that came in for 5 Day Trials & played for years. The CFL did away with the 5 Day Trials over 20 years ago. And why do you talk down to people you don't like or agree with? The other mods have sent out PMs to people here asking to show more respect & what do you do??? Oh & one more thing, I don't know what I did to piss you off but if you want us members to have decorum around here & respect other people then practice what you preach & do the same, Mike. Be a leader as a mod & set an  example.

You want to argue that you're making a "point of discussion", the first step would be to make sure your point of discussion isn't based on misinformation.

Of course, you have to go and turn it into this personal issue you seem to have where you think everyone who points out a mistake in one of your posts "doesn't like you". Come on, man. It's not me not liking you, but if you want discussion as you claim, don't get upset when you get corrected as part of the discussion.

Someone mentioned earlier RBs who can take a 3 yard loss and turn it into a 3 yard gain. In my time (1980-present) I've never seen anyone work more such miracles than ol' Charlie...

You guys took the words right out of my mouth when I read that Barry Sanders comment.  That's the second time I've read that and the second time I've thought...umm...CHARLES ROBERTS!

I would appear if you're accepted into the O'Shea team you become a blood brother of the Bomber Legion that need not fear reprisal that would bear noticeable results or have your sword removed for a game.. Do you think free-spirited Roberts would have fit into O'Shea's perception of what a player he wants on his team would have to be? Just an honest question.

I would appear if you're accepted into the O'Shea team you become a blood brother of the Bomber Legion that need not fear reprisal that would bear noticeable results or have your sword removed for a game.. Do you think free-spirited Roberts would have fit into O'Shea's perception of what a player he wants on his team would have to be? Just an honest question.

Given how much emphasis O'Shea places on being game-ready, I suspect he would have taken a very dim view of a player showing up on game day after being out all night drinking a Red Bull and munching on a Mars Bar with a cigarette dangling out of his mouth. On the other hand, if he was able to get Roberts to buy in, it probably would have extended Roberts' career and made him even more of a legend.