Grigsby not getting first team practice reps - Cotton to start VS Edmonton

Mr. Perfect

It's not the number of players that matters.  It's the number of players who can upgrade the current starter that matters.  Booker and Hickman are only on the 44 due to injury.  Neither are expected to be upgrades to our starters.

How do you know?  Got a personal sit-down with Kyle Walters and Mike O'Shea?

And what would  you expect them to say  if he did? 

I would expect OShea wouldn't say anything.  More likely hearing something that dumb would just get a facial reaction.  Like if you were sharing an oxygen tent with him and just started ripping farts.  Genuine annoyance with a mixture of bafflement that these were real words directed towards him.

Walters on the other hand would find a polite way to say how ridiculous a suggestion that is.  He's pretty good that way.

It's not the number of players that matters. It's the number of players who can upgrade the current starter that matters. Booker and Hickman are only on the 44 due to injury. Neither are expected to be upgrades to our starters.

How do you know? Got a personal sit-down with Kyle Walters and Mike O'Shea?

And what would you expect them to say if he did?

Booker has been an upgrade and a pleasant surprise. And that's what happens when you give a guy you believe in more than one game worth of reps.

You keep implying we should have some kind of revolving door where we try guys out and if they fail to excel, we move on to the next one. That's not how any sensible manager of people works. Hickman and especially Booker have shown good things. Those were guys who came after the NFL cutdown period. Exactly what you were crying for, so at least be bothered to acknowledge it.

Well, it used to be. Too bad the CFL doesn't have what it used to have called a 5 Day Trial. A player comes in & has 5 practices to impress or he's gone. I can name you so many players who came into the CFL in mid season after NFL Cutdown Day who ended up being stars up here starting as 5 Day Trials. Too bad we can't do that anymore. Like I said, competition brings out the best in players. And I wasn't "crying". I was make a point of discussion. That is what we do around here isn't it? Dan Kepley, Willard Reaves, John Hufnagel, George McGowan, James Murphy, Jeff Boyd, Willie Burden, Jay Washington, Tom Burgess & Kent Austin are guys I remember for sure that came in for 5 Day Trials & played for years. The CFL did away with the 5 Day Trials over 20 years ago. And why do you talk down to people you don't like or agree with? The other mods have sent out PMs to people here asking to show more respect & what do you do??? Oh & one more thing, I don't know what I did to piss you off but if you want us members to have decorum around here & respect other people then practice what you preach & do the same, Mike. Be a leader as a mod & set an  example.

27a288148ae911ac9f90f634b8b614dceb90a85f

It's not the number of players that matters. It's the number of players who can upgrade the current starter that matters. Booker and Hickman are only on the 44 due to injury. Neither are expected to be upgrades to our starters.

Booker has been an upgrade and a pleasant surprise. And that's what happens when you give a guy you believe in more than one game worth of reps.

You keep implying we should have some kind of revolving door where we try guys out and if they fail to excel, we move on to the next one. That's not how any sensible manager of people works. Hickman and especially Booker have shown good things. Those were guys who came after the NFL cutdown period. Exactly what you were crying for, so at least be bothered to acknowledge it.

Well, it used to be. Too bad the CFL doesn't have what it used to have called a 5 Day Trial. A player comes in & has 5 practices to impress or he's gone. I can name you so many players who came into the CFL in mid season after NFL Cutdown Day who ended up being stars up here starting as 5 Day Trials. Too bad we can't do that anymore. Like I said, competition brings out the best in players. And I wasn't "crying". I was make a point of discussion. That is what we do around here isn't it? Dan Kepley, Willard Reaves, John Hufnagel, George McGowan, James Murphy, Jeff Boyd, Willie Burden, Jay Washington, Tom Burgess & Kent Austin are guys I remember for sure that came in for 5 Day Trials & played for years. The CFL did away with the 5 Day Trials over 20 years ago. And why do you talk down to people you don't like or agree with? The other mods have sent out PMs to people here asking to show more respect & what do you do??? Oh & one more thing, I don't know what I did to piss you off but if you want us members to have decorum around here & respect other people then practice what you preach & do the same, Mike. Be a leader as a mod & set an  example.

27a288148ae911ac9f90f634b8b614dceb90a85f

36f82b06323a5ed197da72e6d0bee61c614a32cf

You want to argue that you're making a "point of discussion", the first step would be to make sure your point of discussion isn't based on misinformation.

Of course, you have to go and turn it into this personal issue you seem to have where you think everyone who points out a mistake in one of your posts "doesn't like you". Come on, man. It's not me not liking you, but if you want discussion as you claim, don't get upset when you get corrected as part of the discussion.

Give me a break. You always make it personal with your pissant comments when you either don't like someone or what someone said. Not just to me but others here as well. Maybe you need to acknowledge that. Just once, I'd like to be able to talk to you without having to deal with your smart ass comments. If  I'm wrong about something then so be it. It wouldn't be the first time & it won't be the last. I have some pretty strong opinions, I admit that. However, I also can & do accept opposing points of view. For the most part we all play pretty well together in the sand box so why can't you?  

What's the difference between a "5 day trial" and a practice roster spot?  

Nothing?

Five days to impress or gone. More players coming thru for evaluations. Once a player gets a practice roster spot they usually are here longer than 5 days. The 5 Day Trial was used to evaluate & then activate those players if the coaches felt they could play. It was a quick fix & baptism by fire. Whereas PR players are there for further development. You didn't see many qbs just come in, plug in & play but certainly defensive players. However, I do remember Kent Austin & John Hufnagel coming in around mid September, practicing for a week & starting. I also remember running backs, receivers & OL coming in & playing almost right away. I also acknowledge that today's CFL is a much different league than it was 30-40 years ago. More complicated offensive & defensive systems would make it difficult for new players to learn in a week & go out & play well. Different era.

You want to argue that you're making a "point of discussion", the first step would be to make sure your point of discussion isn't based on misinformation.

Of course, you have to go and turn it into this personal issue you seem to have where you think everyone who points out a mistake in one of your posts "doesn't like you". Come on, man. It's not me not liking you, but if you want discussion as you claim, don't get upset when you get corrected as part of the discussion.

Give me a break. You always make it personal with your pissant comments when you either don't like someone or what someone said. Not just to me but others here as well. Maybe you need to acknowledge that. Just once, I'd like to be able to talk to you without having to deal with your smart ass comments. If  I'm wrong about something then so be it. It wouldn't be the first time & it won't be the last. I have some pretty strong opinions, I admit that. However, I also can & do accept opposing points of view. For the most part we all play pretty well together in the sand box so why can't you?  

We go through this what, once every couple of months? You take something I say beyond personal. Then I make it clear to you that it's not personal at all. Then you apologize for getting all up in arms about it. And then we move on.

What stage of it are we at this time?

You do realize you're getting upset because I said you weren't being very observational and that you were crying. There are comments on this forum every single day that are worse than that and the people that they're directed at don't complain even half as much as you do. Toughen up.

Holy moly iso you are going way back into the memory banks with that one,

http://cfldb.ca/faq/rosters/

Prior to the introduction of practice rosters in 1987, the CFL employed 14 and 21-day tryouts, and earlier 5 or 7 day tryouts apparently. This allowed teams to add players who could practice with the club for 14 or 21-days. They could not participate in games during this period without being added to the active roster. At the end of the trial period, if the team did not add the player to the active roster, the player had to clear waivers before he could be signed to another 14 or 21-day tryout, if I recall correctly.

The advantage I see with this is that you are not limited to the number of players being brought in throughout the year, good call.

Nothing?

Five days to impress or gone. More players coming thru for evaluations. Once a player gets a practice roster spot they usually are here longer than 5 days. The 5 Day Trial was used to evaluate & then activate those players if the coaches felt they could play. It was a quick fix & baptism by fire. Whereas PR players are there for further development.

But it's essentially the same.  If a team doesn't think a guy has a chance to be a CFL player when he joins the PR, they can send him home whenever they want, 5 days or 5 weeks.

Prior to the introduction of practice rosters in 1987, the CFL employed 14 and 21-day tryouts, and earlier 5 or 7 day tryouts apparently. This allowed teams to add players who could practice with the club for 14 or 21-days. They could not participate in games during this period without being added to the active roster. At the end of the trial period, if the team did not add the player to the active roster, the player had to clear waivers before he could be signed to another 14 or 21-day tryout, if I recall correctly.

The advantage I see with this is that you are not limited to the number of players being brought in throughout the year, good call.

There's no limit to the number of players teams can bring in throughout the year now either.  Replace "tryout" with "practice roster" and it's the exact same thing.

I do think the league could do something to promote some player movement and discourage player hoarding though, similar to how the players on tryouts had to clear waivers to remain on "tryout" kind of thing.

Not a big fan of Cotton's - he's been worse than Grigsby when he has had a chance. I still remember his second game where to this day I hope he was high on something because he sure played like he had no clue what was going on. I think Grigsby is just showing the signs of getting pummeled and O'Shea (O'Shame - I like that but not yet, save the insults to next year if we get worse or stay the same) is giving him a rest.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, I'd love to see Cotton have a break out game and have Mr. P call me out ;) don't get me wrong, just haven't been impressed from what I've seen of him during the reg season. 

Nothing?

Five days to impress or gone. More players coming thru for evaluations. Once a player gets a practice roster spot they usually are here longer than 5 days. The 5 Day Trial was used to evaluate & then activate those players if the coaches felt they could play. It was a quick fix & baptism by fire. Whereas PR players are there for further development.

But it's essentially the same.  If a team doesn't think a guy has a chance to be a CFL player when he joins the PR, they can send him home whenever they want, 5 days or 5 weeks.

There's no limit to the number of players teams can bring in throughout the year now either.  Replace "tryout" with "practice roster" and it's the exact same thing.

I do think the league could do something to promote some player movement and discourage player hoarding though, similar to how the players on tryouts had to clear waivers to remain on "tryout" kind of thing.

There is a limit to how many you can bring in at one time though. Back in the 80's, if the Eskimos had an area of weakness or injuries they wouldn't bring in one or two guys on a 14 day contract....they would bring in 7 or 8. Most would be sent home but some would be extended if they cleared waivers. It was not uncommon for the Esks to have upwards of 30 guys in town at a time on these type of contracts. I know this to be a fact....because in the 80's my brother was one of them that got to have a cup of coffee at Commonwealth. They ran a continual training camp pretty much and it was pretty much the reason that this was scrapped and replaced by the PR. The PR leveled the playing field between the rich teams and the teams struggling financially.

As a team that struggles to make profits, I am glad we don't have to spend money like that to keep up with the Young's or Rider's of the league to be competitive.