Interesting Quote in Pentons weekly CFL Blitz

Jpan85

Etch gets far too much grief, it doesn't seem rational and it doesn't reflect what's happening on the field.  We have lost some games this year where opposing QBs had no idea what was coming at them or how to react.  Our first loss of the year, to Edmonton, was one of the best defensive schemes I've seen called in a game.  Reilly was beyond confused all night.  Call it Willypeg if you want, our defence has been what's kept us in most games this year.

I agree the D has had some very good games this season. But I blame all 3 losses to the Riders on Etch's defensive schemes.

Me and my arch-enemy  'The Turnover' heartily disagree with you.

This is biggest reason for the free fall the past seven weeks. One we have gave up a lot of turnover and conversely have not forced that many. Have to start winning the turnover battle this team at the moment is not good enough to lose it.

I agree the D has had some very good games this season. But I blame all 3 losses to the Riders on Etch's defensive schemes.

This is biggest reason for the free fall the past seven weeks. One we have gave up a lot of turnover and conversely have not forced that many. Have to start winning the turnover battle this team at the moment is not good enough to lose it.

Disagree. Injuries are the biggest reason for the free fall the past seven weeks.

And you are wrong to do that. Game 1 was lost purely because of turnovers. Our offense generated more points for the riders via turnovers than the Riders offence did. Labour day I will concede the defense most of the blame, they let that last drive happen too easily. Banjo Bowl was again turnovers. The D got the offense the ball back twice in the dying moments of the game, the first one they threw a pick and that was basically it. Can't be turning the ball over like that and expect to win. 

And you are wrong to do that. Game 1 was lost purely because of turnovers. Our offense generated more points for the riders via turnovers than the Riders offence did. Labour day I will concede the defense most of the blame, they let that last drive happen too easily. Banjo Bowl was again turnovers. The D got the offense the ball back twice in the dying moments of the game, the first one they threw a pick and that was basically it. Can't be turning the ball over like that and expect to win. 

And I really believe that injuries have a lot to do with the turnovers, too...

Chicken or the egg.

After the blocked punt in the Hamilton game, they started at our 30, handed the ball off twice and were in the end zone. Difference between a TD and a FG and a win and a loss for us.

Chicken or the egg.

After the blocked punt in the Hamilton game, they started at our 30, handed the ball off twice and were in the end zone. Difference between a TD and a FG and a win and a loss for us.

Ah, but your eggs are left unboiled, as the basis for your argument lies in the fact that we turned the ball over, leading to one mistake and the only TD Hamilton scored in the game.

Turnovers for sure, not just turnovers but turnovers at the worst possible times, and not just offensive turnovers either but mainly... what's really been killing us, special teams mistakes, special teams the last few weeks have cost us probably a touchdown a game, and by cost us a touchdown i just mean that the turnover they let happen (blocked punt, blocked fg for td, bad snap, etc etc) generally either have lead directly to a TD or 1 or 2 plays later lead to a TD. Turnovers are a killer, you lose that battle, you lose the game And when you are losing by less than a TD for the most part (outside of the bc game), Yup those special teams mistakes i'll calll them, they have been very costly. Lirim even had to kick the ball out of the endzone a few teams, those are all points and when you are losing games by so very little, man those points add up. 

• 3 weeks later...

From a unidentified manager or coach

Does Winnipeg make the playoffs? I don't know. But they are going to be tough out here next year. Etcheverry's system is hard to prepare for. He's frustrating to coach against. On offence, Marcel Bellefeuille has done a nice job with his play calling – building Willy's confidence. That's critical with young quarterbacks, to build them up with confidence, and Marcel has. Willy is only going to get better, which isn't good for us, and the Bombers will get stronger with another draft and free agency. Don't even want to think about how tough our division is going to be next year ...

Burn.