Interesting Quote in Pentons weekly CFL Blitz

Jpan85

From a unidentified manager or coach

Does Winnipeg make the playoffs? I don't know. But they are going to be tough out here next year. Etcheverry's system is hard to prepare for. He's frustrating to coach against. On offence, Marcel Bellefeuille has done a nice job with his play calling – building Willy's confidence. That's critical with young quarterbacks, to build them up with confidence, and Marcel has. Willy is only going to get better, which isn't good for us, and the Bombers will get stronger with another draft and free agency. Don't even want to think about how tough our division is going to be next year ...

Marcel is the safe choice as OC. Not going to set the world on fire but not going to be terrible either, I can live with him, but would love an upgrade... just you might not get one. Etch has been better than expected this year, no reason not to bring him back at this point. Having some damned fine playmakers on D definitely helps. 

I have a hard time seeing either coordinator not returning next season unless they move on by choice to another job, not that I think that that's particularly likely.

You're probably right unless we lose the majority of our remaining games, then it might give reason to look at it more closely.

The D outside of giving up running yards vs SASK really, has played quite well and seems to be getting better, Etch should be safe. Marcel? I dunno, personally i think we can do better but... probably be pretty tough to replace a guy like that unless you bring in someone familliar with Willy, Cortez/Lapolice? Both won't happen though so I don't see the OC or DC going anywhere, Special teams? Maybe but... at the same time, doubtful. 

If what this quote says is true, why wouldn't Etch be back? Because some fans on a messageboard have preconceived notions about his defense?

Yea I mean with all the injuries we have had, I'd have thought our defense would be a smoking crater. Yet we still manage to be competitive in all our games... Etch is undervalued around here..

I don't think coaching is the issue. Would bring both coords back.

We need Walters to start improving the roster this offseason. It'll be a big test for him. Can he find a decent American WR? Will he land a Canadian lineman somehow?

The reason this team isn't winning right now speaks more to the roster we are working with than the coaching job, in my opinion.

We need Walters to start improving the roster this offseason. It'll be a big test for him. Can he find a decent American WR? Will he land a Canadian lineman somehow?

The reason this team isn't winning right now speaks more to the roster we are working with than the coaching job, in my opinion.

I think finding better American OL needs to be priority #1

With a little bit more sober second thought I bet O'Shea sticks with the coordinators he's got next year.  Unless there is friction behind the scenes that we know nothing about can't see him turfing any of "his guys".  He defends his players to the nth degree so I don't see him taking a different approach with his coaching staff.  Doubt the discussion will even be raised in the off-season but if it was this is what he might say.  "We're on track and making incremental progress, team improved significantly this season and will continue to do so next year."

Perhaps we have those better American OL already here, Tyler didn't look terrible last game and Anderson on the PR will definitely get his shot eventually and my guess is once he does get that shot, he probably doesn't relinquish it, Think they are very high on him and won't throw him in there until they have too to give him the best chance to succeed. Think he does once given that chance,  based on nothing but... everything i've heard and how high they appear to be on him. 

Really the Oline could be half decent with just a couple upgrades here and there...

I don't see us picking up any Oline via free agency, every year we want that to happen and every year, no real impact canadian OL make it to free agency, they only make it to free agency if they want too and for the most part, the really really good ones, they don't so i think if we are looking to upgrade our Canadian OL, it's going to have to be through draft and development. It's really the only way. Teams don't trade all star OL and all star OL don't make it to free agency.  Every off season people get up in arms cuz we didn't sign the big name OL free agent but that big name OL free agent didn't even make it to free agency. Not gonna solve the OL issues through free agency. 

Draft Draft Draft.. If Goossen is ready to play next season full time at center, who knows. I see value in Morley as he is a versatile player who actually can play all positions on the line, a good guy to have around as your 6th ol. a plug n play type of player. It's really just the tackles who i think might be in house already and one guard position that needs to be upgraded. That shouldn't be that difficult to do. Will it happen? hard to say, does it have to happen for this team to be more successful, Yes it does and until it does, it is what it is. 

Honestly.. Anderson,Greaves,Goossen,??,Tyler. Morley is probably a pretty decent group. 

A couple of upgrades on the o line? Do the math that requires a 40% change. That o line has played with 3 imports and as been at best sub par. 3 imports should have been dominant. If the talent level doesn't improve significantly neither does this team regardless who coaches.

Yes this...we need a receiver that can shift gears up a notch when the ball is thrown over their heads.  I find Willy's style of play very similar to Khari's, except he's missing a Milt Stegall type of player that can speed up to catch his overthrown balls.  Obviously he won't be as fast as Milt, but someone similar.

And yes, better American OL would be great.

...and a better RB.

I think finding better American OL needs to be priority #1

Actually, finding better and more national Olineman is the priority. Then we can add imports internationals to the skill positions