Time To Make Carl Volny The Number 1 RB And Use Stoudemire On End Arounds

Yup, I said that, make Carl Volny the starter.  No more silly lateral moves on handoffs and use the man who runs downhill.  When we get to the red zone from 3 yards out, he will push the pile into the endzone and not get caught in the backfield again.  Keep Grigsby, but use him on draw plays and passes.  Give Volny the bulk of the carries.

And to add to that, I think we should use Stoudemire on the end around carries or passes that Stefan Logan gets for BC, he can do those and he's bigger and can run defenders over as we saw against Hamilton last week.

This will free the offense up and keep Willy from getting hit.

Yup, I said that, make Carl Volny the starter.  No more silly lateral moves on handoffs and use the man who runs downhill.  When we get to the red zone from 3 yards out, he will push the pile into the endzone and not get caught in the backfield again.  Keep Grigsby, but use him on draw plays and passes.  Give Volny the bulk of the carries.

And to add to that, I think we should use Stoudemire on the end around carries or passes that Stefan Logan gets for BC, he can do those and he's bigger and can run defenders over as we saw against Hamilton last week.

You're not up to date are you?  How can you play Stoudermire if he's on 6-game IR? :blink:

Volny has been through plenty of coaches and systems. He has yet to make anyone think he could be a starting RB in the CFL. During all the practices, during all the training camps he has yet to beat out anyone for the starting position. That includes aging vets and CFL rookie. He's not a starter, because he's not good enough. Plain and simple.

Volny is not a starting RB by any stretch of the imagination.  He'll probably be replaced in the off season.

Stoudemire is on the 6 game IR.

People have been saying that for a few years now. I think he makes the team again for the simple reason that he's shown himself able to be an in game fill in at RB if needed and obviously does enough on special teams to be kept around. In other words, he's a good depth NI and those guys keep their jobs very often. 

Volny is not a starting RB by any stretch of the imagination.  He'll probably be replaced in the off season.

People have been saying that for a few years now. I think he makes the team again for the simple reason that he's shown himself able to be an in game fill in at RB if needed and obviously does enough on special teams to be kept around. In other words, he's a good depth NI and those guys keep their jobs very often. 

You absolutely cannot ignore his value on special teams

No question about it. Canadian depth and good on teams. He's only 28 I think also. If he can come in here and there and not hurt the team that is a bonus.

Don't take this the wrong way - and unlike some I have no issues with Volny - you seem like a nice enough chap and all, but between this and the semi-weekly Ottawa should/will bench Burris threads, maybe it's time to take a break from starting new topics.

I'm all for giving Volny more touches, but reality is, we don't even give Grigsby enough touches so I'm not sure making Volny the starter is the answer and I'm pretty positive it's not going to happen. Volny is a good capable i suppose  backup, he's good in limited reps but... he will never be anything more than that. 

I mean really, the issue here isn't really the RB, it's the oline, if they aren't opening holes for Grigsby, they won't open holes for Volny. Honestly, I'm under the impression that it doesn't matter who the RB is, heck even a guy like Cornish, I'm not even sure he'd do much behind this oline. 

Our problem is we don't run the ball enough at times, but that problem probably exists because we don't have much faith in our oline to get the job done.

Grigsby is better than Volny by a long shot, overall he's just so much better so i guess, if the idea is to get Willy killed, Sure go ahead and play Volny.

If i'm an opposing DC and i see Volny lined up in the backfield, i totally ignore him and just send the house at Willy. Volny isn't a threat. 

I'm all for giving Volny more touches, but reality is, we don't even give Grigsby enough touches so I'm not sure making Volny the starter is the answer and I'm pretty positive it's not going to happen. Volny is a good capable i suppose  backup, he's good in limited reps but... he will never be anything more than that. 

I mean really, the issue here isn't really the RB, it's the oline, if they aren't opening holes for Grigsby, they won't open holes for Volny. Honestly, I'm under the impression that it doesn't matter who the RB is, heck even a guy like Cornish, I'm not even sure he'd do much behind this oline. 

Our problem is we don't run the ball enough at times, but that problem probably exists because we don't have much faith in our oline to get the job done.

Grigsby is better than Volny by a long shot, overall he's just so much better so i guess, if the idea is to get Willy killed, Sure go ahead and play Volny.

If i'm an opposing DC and i see Volny lined up in the backfield, i totally ignore him and just send the house at Willy. Volny isn't a threat. 

IMO, Volny is much more suited to run the ball in a zone blocking scheme like the one we use, and you can see that he's great at hitting a gap and getting upfield, but....I'd expect him to fumble about every 5th time he touched the ball because that's been his track record whenever he's seen the field in pre-season or regular season.

The offensive line is not that bad in run blocking.  It is ridiculously overstated, and your post is a great example.  The RB is the problem.  It's unreasonable to expect a situation where an RB gets through the line clean all the time, and that's basically what Grigsby needs to be consistently productive because he's so hesitant when it comes to finding/choosing a gap and getting upfield, then the first arm on him puts him on the turf.  There are few RB's in the league that need as much help.

Mike, on 02 Oct 2014 - 3:20 PM, said:

So you want Volny as the starter.

Okay next step.

Please explain why.

1.  He is a better pass blocker than Grigsby, and that's the value you can't underrate in a RB

2.  He never ever dances around to find an opening.  He just runs forward and drags defenders with him.

3.  You can't get him down with an arm tackle.

4.  He hasn't fumbled in over a year now.

1. How can you honestly say that from his... What, 3 mins of game time this season? I'd say blocking is a wash..

2. He had some nice runs.. But also got stuffed at the point of attack as well.. Not sure what game you've been watching..

3. See point 2 and grigsby isn't as weak as your attempting to claim..

4. He hasn't had enough carries to really say his ball protection has improved..