Time To Make Carl Volny The Number 1 RB And Use Stoudemire On End Arounds

I think Grigsby would be better used as a change of pace back, but I don't think Volny is the pace to be changing from.

He is great in space, but "in space" isn't something a RB can expect to be in all the time.

Volny had 2 decent carries last month and didn't fumble.  I'd be fine if the Bombers gave him a 3rd this week.  Feature back?  Let's see if his 3rd warrants a 4th first.

I think Volny gets a bad rap just because he's a national, he did play for D-1 school,

(NCAA Div.1 FBS): Volny played in 12 games as a senior, starting five, and rushed for 402 yards on 81 carries, adding five touchdowns. He was named the Offensive Player of the Year by his team and finished his collegiate career with 933 yards and eight touchdowns in 36 games over four years at Central Michigan.

He also carries more weight than Grigsby which is why he looks like a better down hill runner, he's about the same size as Andrew Harris and really, I think we should see more of him to see if he can amount to something.

seems to me, the few times I've seen him, he took the ball, went straight to the o line really fast, no hesitation whatsoever, kind of slashed through,  had some power when he was hit, and made some decent yards.

That's what I remember about Volny.

I've heard that a coach can teach a player how to stop fumbling, if that's still a problem for Volny. 

I think Volny gets a bad rap just because he's a national, he did play for D-1 school,

(NCAA Div.1 FBS): Volny played in 12 games as a senior, starting five, and rushed for 402 yards on 81 carries, adding five touchdowns. He was named the Offensive Player of the Year by his team and finished his collegiate career with 933 yards and eight touchdowns in 36 games over four years at Central Michigan.

He also carries more weight than Grigsby which is why he looks like a better down hill runner, he's about the same size as Andrew Harris and really, I think we should see more of him to see if he can amount to something.

Giving him a play or two a game to see what happens and if there is anything to build on is something most people wouldn't object to.  How he performs from there would determine if he earns more responsibility, but he's not a rookie and he has carried the ball for us before.  We already have some idea of what we'll see.  The potential to be a decent change of pace guy has always been there, but more important than anything else, he has to hang on to the ball.

Him being from a D-1 school, the same size as Harris, cousins with Cory Watson, a former teammate of Kito Poblah won't change those results.

Just checked the game stats, says Volny punted once for 42 yards.  Somehow I missed that, can anyone enlighten me as to when that play happened?

short kick, he picked it up and kicked it back down the field. At the end of the half I guess. Maybe they were trying to catch them off guard or something, lots of players onside at that point. 

Marcel is the problem as I was reminded again by an Als fan,

When in Montreal (2007), he had an all-star receiving corps, an all-star Canadian O-line, and the future Hall of Famer Anthony Calvillo at his disposal. And what was the result? We gave up a league-high number of sacks, our offence couldn't frighten a three-year-old child, and we finished with a losing record, finally getting eliminated in the semifinals because we got stuffed on a third-down gamble.

Wow pigseye - didn't know that. Interesting. 

I have no issues giving Volny a bigger role, sharing the load so to speak like one poster mentioned Harris/Logan do in B.C. (or did not now with Harris on the 6 game). It won't hurt. I would also like to see Marve get some meaningful reps. Ottawa was killing us, Willy was stymied (yet again) - why not change things up in the fourth quarter. I'm predicting a blow out in Edmonton - and with Edmonton's pass rush I wouldn't want to leave Willy in there with the game lost. I hope they gave Marve a quarter, he won't do anything per say, but he needs to shake the rust off so he can get more meaningful snaps as the season draws to a close.

Now, before everyone starts freaking out accusing me of wanting Willy gone - that has nothing to do with it. Willy is our future and with a better oline and offense scheme he'll be fine (but he's struggled this year same as Grigsby has, I have no issue calling it as I see it). What, IMO, the bombers need to know now is if Willy does get hurt, and goes on the 6 game or just misses a few games, is what do they have in Marve. Clearly Brohm is not a player that, say next season, if we are involved in a tight race and Willy gets hurt and is forced to miss a few games, can get us a win or two to hold the fort down while Willy convalesces. Not sure if Marve can either but now is as good as time as any to see what we have in him. 

Of course, MOS won't do that, he'll leave Willy in there every play no matter the score just like he leaves Kualie in, until he gets hurt that is and can't go. 

Marcel is the problem as I was reminded again by an Als fan,

When in Montreal (2007), he had an all-star receiving corps, an all-star Canadian O-line, and the future Hall of Famer Anthony Calvillo at his disposal. And what was the result? We gave up a league-high number of sacks, our offence couldn't frighten a three-year-old child, and we finished with a losing record, finally getting eliminated in the semifinals because we got stuffed on a third-down gamble.

That was the year before Trestman brought in those max protection schemes.  But those only worked because of Calvillo's ability to throw pin point passes.

Just checked the game stats, says Volny punted once for 42 yards.  Somehow I missed that, can anyone enlighten me as to when that play happened?

short kick, he picked it up and kicked it back down the field. At the end of the half I guess. Maybe they were trying to catch them off guard or something, lots of players onside at that point. 

Thanks.  Guess I was out of it by that time in more ways than one.

Wow pigseye - didn't know that. Interesting. 

I have no issues giving Volny a bigger role, sharing the load so to speak like one poster mentioned Harris/Logan do in B.C. (or did not now with Harris on the 6 game). It won't hurt. I would also like to see Marve get some meaningful reps. Ottawa was killing us, Willy was stymied (yet again) - why not change things up in the fourth quarter. I'm predicting a blow out in Edmonton - and with Edmonton's pass rush I wouldn't want to leave Willy in there with the game lost. I hope they gave Marve a quarter, he won't do anything per say, but he needs to shake the rust off so he can get more meaningful snaps as the season draws to a close.

Now, before everyone starts freaking out accusing me of wanting Willy gone - that has nothing to do with it. Willy is our future and with a better oline and offense scheme he'll be fine (but he's struggled this year same as Grigsby has, I have no issue calling it as I see it). What, IMO, the bombers need to know now is if Willy does get hurt, and goes on the 6 game or just misses a few games, is what do they have in Marve. Clearly Brohm is not a player that, say next season, if we are involved in a tight race and Willy gets hurt and is forced to miss a few games, can get us a win or two to hold the fort down while Willy convalesces. Not sure if Marve can either but now is as good as time as any to see what we have in him. 

Of course, MOS won't do that, he'll leave Willy in there every play no matter the score just like he leaves Kualie in, until he gets hurt that is and can't go. 

One of the problems with you theory is that Brohm is the next guy up...and Marve will not get a chance unless he is bad. 

Willy is being left in because he is a rookie starting qb and needs to learn how to deal with certain situations. He isn't ricky ray, what do you gain by pulling your first year starter qb? when he actually wasn't really the issue at all, sure i guess you can say to keep him from getting killed out there but again, I'd understand pulling Willy if we lost that game because of him or were losing directly because of willys piss poor play but we weren't losing cuz of willys play, we were losing because everyone other than willy didn't show up for the game. How can you blame your qb when is being sacked 5 times a game and being pressured every other play. Willy is the last guy i would pull this year. These are valuable reps for him this season, he can only get better by playing, not by watching. 

Brohm, marve? Man maybe they will get some time when we are officially eliminated but  reality is we are one game behind bc and still play them.. Hell it's likely both us and bc could miss the playoffs but we aren't done yet, you know, it's funny, people on here saying the season is over? But it's not. And thank god the team and people in charge don't think that way either. Pulling Willy in a game is giving up on the season when the season isn't even over yet. Despite what a few nostradamus's say on this board, We still have a chance really to make it. and until we don't and until we are actually eliminated for real, willy will play the entire game. and Rightfully so, that's how he will get better. He's got a full off season to recover from his injuries, we ain't risking anything by playing him. Injuries happen and if willy got hurt? That would suck but he'd have a full off season to recover, I'm sure if he got hurt and hurt bad, he wouldn't be playing anymore but the reason he is and the reason he isn't pulled is because quite frankly, he gives us the best chance to win. Why put brohm and or marve in? so they can get killed too? Keep the guy in that gives you the best chance to win and keep him in so he can get those valuable reps that he very desperately needs. 

Willy wasn't playing well.  He threw 3 INT's and 2 others to Ottawa DB's who didn't catch them.  He wasn't going through his progressions.  He was locking in on one guy and throwing it to him.  He was getting hit over and over and over.  Often the best thing to do in this situation is bring him to the sidelines and let him watch to see what the other team is doing.  Sending out to continually fail isn't in his or the Bombers best interests and those last 4 minutes of reps weren't worth anything towards making Willy a better QB.  Add in the wear and tear on the injured shoulder and the risk of more injury to our starting QB and it was really stupid to leave Willy in.  Almost nothing to gain and potentially lots to lose.

gcn11, on 03 Oct 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

I could understand a sign a new RB thread, or a convert Grigsby to receiver thread, or something of the like....but start Volny? That's not an indictment of our current running game, that's panic.

Lol wut?  How is demoting Grigsby panic?  Nobody said get rid of him, just to give Volny the starter job.  If we decided to bench Willy because of the last game, that would be panic, but Grigsby's position is not one that he has locked down or one that he should look at as his with no competition.  If you want a RB that hits the line or finds the hole with no hesitation, put in Volny who'll run straight downhill.  Besides with all the rave about him being a great special teamer, that to me warrants making him the premier back here taking at least 80% of the carries.  You want a back that won't go down with arm tackles, stick him in.

gcn11, on 03 Oct 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

I could understand a sign a new RB thread, or a convert Grigsby to receiver thread, or something of the like....but start Volny? That's not an indictment of our current running game, that's panic.

Lol wut?  How is demoting Grigsby panic?  Nobody said get rid of him, just to give Volny the starter job.  If we decided to bench Willy because of the last game, that would be panic, but Grigsby's position is not one that he has locked down or one that he should look at as his with no competition.  If you want a RB that hits the line or finds the hole with no hesitation, put in Volny who'll run straight downhill.  Besides with all the rave about him being a great special teamer, that to me warrants making him the premier back here taking at least 80% of the carries.  You want a back that won't go down with arm tackles, stick him in.

Ya wanna get technical, nobody is saying make Volny the starter save for you..

I would like to think that starting Volny would allow us to start another international receiver but we haven't seen what we got in that regard so it wouldn't make any sense on the offense. However, if it allows us to start another international on defense, then it might be a good move.

What the Coaches see on how the defences defend us, forces them to make a decision on RBs, and they choose Grigsby.

Why?

Because Grigsby give us the best chance to break a play and get those special runs on 10, 20, 30 yards, although that is happening with less frequency.

i would totally support Volny being given a chance to run in certain situations, at least to give Grigsby a bit of a rest, at best, to get those tough yards Grigsby cannot seem to find.

What the Coaches see on how the defences defend us, forces them to make a decision on RBs, and they choose Grigsby.

Why?

Because Grigsby give us the best chance to break a play and get those special runs on 10, 20, 30 yards, although that is happening with less frequency.

i would totally support Volny being given a chance to run in certain situations, at least to give Grigsby a bit of a rest, at best, to get those tough yards Grigsby cannot seem to find.

I would say that is false but only because that would require in game adjustments which we have yet to see.

Why?

I would say that is false but only because that would require in game adjustments which we have yet to see.

But this statement is total false too, because there have been in game adjustments and at times its been very very obvious actually. Do you watch the games dude? Seriously, no adjustments made in game? There are adjustments being made every game.