Free Press (Fan Vote) Picking All-Time Blue Bomber Greats

comedygeek

Tom Clements should be the picked over Ploen imo.  He won multiple Grey Cups albeit only one with the Bombers, 2 -time CFL all-star with the Bombers, league MVP with the Bombers, 1984 Grey Cup MVP - all in 4.5 years with the Bombers, and less than that if you factor in half a missed season back in '86.  

Compared to the peers of his era in the 80s, Clements is looked upon more favorably than Ploen, when he is compared to his peers in the 50s and 60s.  That should play a factor in deciding who was the better QB for the Bombers - how the player compared to their peers.  Clements wins this hands down.

Also, Ploen's accomplishments on the defensive side of the ball should be a non-starter.  It's best QUARTERBACK in Bomber history, not BEST PLAYER.

Tom Clements should be the picked over Ploen imo.  He won multiple Grey Cups albeit only one with the Bombers, 2 -time CFL all-star with the Bombers, league MVP with the Bombers, 1984 Grey Cup MVP - all in 4.5 years with the Bombers, and less than that if you factor in half a missed season back in '86.  

Compared to the peers of his era in the 80s, Clements is looked upon more favorably than Ploen, when he is compared to his peers in the 50s and 60s.  That should play a factor in deciding who was the better QB for the Bombers - how the player compared to their peers.  Clements wins this hands down.

Also, Ploen's accomplishments on the defensive side of the ball should be a non-starter.  It's best QUARTERBACK in Bomber history, not BEST PLAYER.

I don't really agree with that, and would also like to add that longevity should factor in as well. 

Okay, I agree with KP, due to the wins and the longevity but I'm going to show my Cliff Claven side a bit here.

KP took us to the Grey Cup, but lost in 1957.  He was beaten out of  the starting job in 1958 by Jim Van Pelt, who was the Bomber QB for that year's Grey Cup win.  KP still played as a safety and as a half back, so he has a ring from that year, but not as a QB.    JVP was a freshman out of Michigan who was drafted by the NFL, but came to Winnipeg for the higher pay, which would shock todays young fans.     JVP continued as the QB in 1959, until injured late in the season, and KP came back in an won us another cup.

Jim Van Pelt was drafted into the US army  Airforce in 1960, which caused the end of his football career.

KP has 4 Grey Cup rings, but only 3 as a QB.  JVP was a great QB, having won a Grey Cup, and the best QB in the league in the next season as well until his injury.   If not for the US Airforce draft, he may have won the designation as best of all time, but the fates were not with him.   Bud Grant chose JVP as the best QB at the time, over KP, so that adds to the story line as well.

As a youngster I saw KP play, but I learned of JVP from my father, my uncle, and my grandfather. 

Self Edit Note:  I should have looked up facts on line before posting, instead of using my old memory.  JVP was drafted in to the US Airforce, not Army as previously reported. 

Ploen is Mr. QB in Winnipeg.  No chance he didn't make it as the best as picked by the fans and the media.  Winning Grey Cups is a team stat, not a QB stat IMHO, but I know a lot of folks disagree.

Brock was the best pure passer the Bombers ever had and it's not even close.  Great QB who couldn't win the big game.

My choice was Clements.  He took the team that Brock couldn't win the big game with and won the the cup with them.  Not the strongest arm or the quickest feet, but he was a winner.

Dunnigan had some amazing games in Blue and Gold.  Unfortunately we got him after the injuries had taken their toll and he was often injured and couldn't finish games.  I'd rank him over Brock for his entire CFL career but lower as a Bomber. 

Jones turned our team around.  Great leader.  Prolific passer.  Good runner.  Succeeded in spite of a poor O line.  Certainly in the conversation as one of the great QB's in Bomber history.

Ploen is Mr. QB in Winnipeg.  No chance he didn't make it as the best as picked by the fans and the media.  Winning Grey Cups is a team stat, not a QB stat IMHO, but I know a lot of folks disagree.

Brock was the best pure passer the Bombers ever had and it's not even close.  Great QB who couldn't win the big game.

My choice was Clements.  He took the team that Brock couldn't win the big game with and won the the cup with them.  Not the strongest arm or the quickest feet, but he was a winner.

Dunnigan had some amazing games in Blue and Gold.  Unfortunately we got him after the injuries had taken their toll and he was often injured and couldn't finish games.  I'd rank him over Brock for his entire CFL career but lower as a Bomber. 

Jones turned our team around.  Great leader.  Prolific passer.  Good runner.  Succeeded in spite of a poor O line.  Certainly in the conversation as one of the great QB's in Bomber history.

Seems a bit contradictory to me...

Seems a bit contradictory to me...

Not contradictory.  Same team.  Different QB.  Different result.  IMO it shows that Clements was an upgrade over Brock.

The best QB in the league on a below average team, isn't going to win the Grey Cup.  For Example, Ricky Ray on some of those poor Edmonton teams looked pretty average, but he was still the best QB in the league by far.  Doug Flutie on BC is another example.

Ploen is the qb voted on by fans. As far as OL goes, I picked Frank Rigney over Chris Walby. I assume Walby will get a lot of votes just because younger fans will know him better than the others. Rigney was a great player. He & Cornell Piper on that line leading a sweep just like Jerry Kraemer & Fuzzy Thurston in Green Bay. Rigney was dominant & a big reason why Leo Lewis had such huge games for the Bombers running the ball & Ploen passing. He's my pick. Surprised Bill Frank wasn't on that list. 

Ploen is the qb voted on by fans. As far as OL goes, I picked Frank Rigney over Chris Walby. I assume Walby will get a lot of votes just because younger fans will know him better than the others. Rigney was a great player. He & Cornell Piper on that line leading a sweep just like Jerry Kraemer & Fuzzy Thurston in Green Bay. Rigney was dominant & a big reason why Leo Lewis had such huge games for the Bombers running the ball & Ploen passing. He's my pick. Surprised Bill Frank wasn't on that list.

I certainly don't remember Rigney but Walby was as big, nasty, and good as any I can remember.

I've personally always hated championships as being THE factor in judging a QB... a championship is the ultimate team accomplishment, especially in football... to downgrade guys like Jim Kelly and Dan Marino because they didn't play on teams as good as the 70s steelers and the 80s 49ers is insanity... yeah it matters, but it shouldn't be the be all end all...

I voted for Ploen... mostly based on reputation... since Khari is the only one I ever saw play live... 

I certainly don't remember Rigney but Walby was as big, nasty, and good as any I can remember.

That's the problem with these fan votes. Deserving players will get left off the list because younger fans never saw them play. I was lucky that I did albeit I was very young. I do know that Rigney was a great left tackle who dominated for a decade & the 2 guards Cornel Piper & Ed Kotowich were outstanding. That was the Bombers strength back in the late 50's to the mid 60's. Their offensive line. Bud Grant built just an unbelievaable offensive line to anchor that team.  I'm convinced that Piper & Kotowich could have played & started for Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers & ran that Green Bay sweep "Up the alley" as Lombardi liked to say as well as Fuzzy Thurston & Roger Kraemer did for the Packers. 

I voted for the smartest one - John Bonk. When he was our center, or oline was never 'weak'. Bonk wasn't big, especially by today's standards, but he was very fast, and very very smart. The center position is critical in football and you can't be no 'dummy' (not saying the other guys were, not at all, I'm just saying you have to be smart) and Other than Bill Frank it's a good list. I'm surprised Norman isn't there either, thought eventually he got his knee taken out, ole Butch was Dieter's personal protector and did a great job as Brock wasn't exactly Mr. Mobility. 

As for the question on who Brock's receivers were - Mike Holmes was one. Leo Ezrins was for a bit too until they turned him from a tight end (yes they still had tight ends in those days) to a linebacker. Tommy Scott was another one (though they traded him to Edmonton for the right to draft Joe Poplawski, or maybe the Esks had already drafted Joe Pops and it was the trade to him outright - this is by memory I ain't looking it up). I'd have to look up the other receivers, if mentioned I'd remember. 

I voted for the smartest one - John Bonk. When he was our center, or oline was never 'weak'. Bonk wasn't big, especially by today's standards, but he was very fast, and very very smart. The center position is critical in football and you can't be no 'dummy' (not saying the other guys were, not at all, I'm just saying you have to be smart) and Other than Bill Frank it's a good list. I'm surprised Norman isn't there either, thought eventually he got his knee taken out, ole Butch was Dieter's personal protector and did a great job as Brock wasn't exactly Mr. Mobility. 

As for the question on who Brock's receivers were - Mike Holmes was one. Leo Ezrins was for a bit too until they turned him from a tight end (yes they still had tight ends in those days) to a linebacker. Tommy Scott was another one (though they traded him to Edmonton for the right to draft Joe Poplawski, or maybe the Esks had already drafted Joe Pops and it was the trade to him outright - this is by memory I ain't looking it up). I'd have to look up the other receivers, if mentioned I'd remember. 

I remember Eugene Goodlow (spelling?) as a standout receiver that Brock threw to in the early 80's. If I remember correctly he broke his neck in a game against Calgary, and it was the last game he played for Winnipeg as he went to the NFL in the off-season.

I remember Eugene Goodlow (spelling?) as a standout receiver that Brock threw to in the early 80's. If I remember correctly he broke his neck in a game against Calgary, and it was the last game he played for Winnipeg as he went to the NFL in the off-season.

Goodlow became the first player in CFL history to reach 100 receptions in a season during the 1981 season.

Goodlow became the first player in CFL history to reach 100 receptions in a season during the 1981 season.

Then unfortunately, he broke his neck in Montreal. Missed nearly the entire 82 season. 

Rick House would have had some time with Brock as well.  He was a very good NI reciever

Suspect it will be Walby but all good candidates.

Of course it will, he's got too much popularity for it to not be. The other options are too old and out of the public conscience so Walby will be in easily. I'll tell you right now that Stegall is going to be named the all time receiver as well. That's my bold prediction. 

Never mind that most followers the league over will tell you that not only is he the greatest all time Bomber OL but likely the leagues all time greatest as well. If he played today, Walby would be an NFLer and never see the light of day up here...

He was country, when country wasn't cool. A giant of a man for that era. More divisional and cfl all star nominations than any one in cfl history. Ya he is one of the best the league has ever seen.  He went in hall of fame the same day as rider great David Ridgeway in 2003.