Drew Willy injury

gbill2004

The issue of what a team can do with their bye-week might have been addressed in the recent CBA so it may be a non-issue.  I don't have much sympathy for players who have 4-6 months off each year running off for an extra week break in mid-season when they still have A LOT of work to do.  Sadly reminds me of the BC Teacher's Assoc.

Hope the break will help recharge their batteries against Hammytown because they can't afford to stink the joint out.

The issue of what a team can do with their bye-week might have been addressed in the recent CBA so it may be a non-issue.  I don't have much sympathy for players who have 4-6 months off each year running off for an extra week break in mid-season when they still have A LOT of work to do.  Sadly reminds me of the BC Teacher's Assoc.

Hope the break will help recharge their batteries against Hammytown because they can't afford to stink the joint out.

Happy employees are more productive employees. The notion that you have to be hard on everyone is so outdated it's not even funny. 

LOL - no kidding. What a bunch of bozos. Here's hoping they break, the kids here need to get back to school.

I liked what I saw from Marve in the preseason, and always thought he should have been #2...  would be nice to see them split #1 reps over the next couple weeks.  Brohm already said he's heading home this week.  If Marve sticks back and busts his ass, I can see him supplanting Brohm.

Either way... at least the injury happened going in to the bye week.   We SHOULD be able to beat Hamilton at home and keep pace for the last playoff spot!

Brohm heading home? After the injury to Willy & the way he played? That tells me all I need to know. To be a starting qb in the CFL takes sacrifce. And if a player isn't willing to do that, well?? I know it's tough to be away from family but the season ends in less than 2 months & Brohm has 6 months to be with them then. I think that is the wrong decision.

Don't forget the players made plans three weeks back for this bye week and most likely paid for tickets etc. I doubt it's last night that he decided to go home.

Good comment made by Doug Brown after the game.  He said that if Dave Rictchie was the coach of this team, bye-week would be officially cancelled with Willy's injury.  The team has two weeks to prepare for their next game and they will need every practice opportunity possible to get Brohm up to speed asap.  Blowing off a week of preparation time on player's vacations is a missed opportunity for Brohm and the offence to get on the same page.  Two on-field practices in the week before Hamilton is just not enough to get Brohm in sync.

I  agree whole heartedly with DB's analysis.

I think that would violate the collective agreement so cancelling the bye week for the entire team would be a non starter. I think anyone who stays would have to be voluntary. Now, having said that if I was Brian Brohm & I knew I'd be starting the next game in 2 weeks, I'd want to stay in Winnipeg to prepare & not go away during the bye week. If Brohm paid for plane fare home, he should get the club to reimburse him for the airline ticket. Same with Marve. These guys are professional football players & if they crap out on the field because of a lack of preparation then they're finished as players with Winnipeg. In Brohm's case maybe forever. They should have stayed in Winnipeg voluntarily & hit the books so to speak. Study video to get prepared. Get in the weight room. Spend time with their qb coach. Throw to any receivers who stayed around town... 

LOL - no kidding. What a bunch of bozos. Here's hoping they break, the kids here need to get back to school.

Shame on the dumbass BC politicians & teachers who use the kids as pawns. Teachers need to be ruled as an essential service & not be allowed to strike. 

Happy employees are more productive employees. The notion that you have to be hard on everyone is so outdated it's not even funny. 

Has to be voluntary.

You cant really cancel vacation for that many players who are all essentially only here football... Families, friends, less stress, home cooking... These are all things that help heal injuries and psyche...

Brown, a guy who built his home here i believe, could afford to have practice cancelled.. Guys like leggett and randle need a break..

How many guys in a ritchie era made winnipeg their home versus the roster now...

Apples n oranges folks.

I doubt it's changed much. That was a little over 10 years ago. 

Good comment made by Doug Brown after the game.  He said that if Dave Rictchie was the coach of this team, bye-week would be officially cancelled with Willy's injury.  The team has two weeks to prepare for their next game and they will need every practice opportunity possible to get Brohm up to speed asap.  Blowing off a week of preparation time on player's vacations is a missed opportunity for Brohm and the offence to get on the same page.  Two on-field practices in the week before Hamilton is just not enough to get Brohm in sync.

Ritchie was god to me so if he thinks thats what Ritchie would do we should do that.

I feel like we're back in the Kevin Glenn era when our biggest concern was finding a decent backup QB. Mike Quinn, Tee Martin, Ryan Dinwiddie... boy we sure started some quality backups in those days. 

I'll go back farther then that. Dunigan goes down, Cal's son-in-law takes the ball in the GC and fumbles with no one around him.

You cant really cancel vacation for that many players who are all essentially only here football... Families, friends, less stress, home cooking... These are all things that help heal injuries and psyche...

Brown, a guy who built his home here i believe, could afford to have practice cancelled.. Guys like leggett and randle need a break..

How many guys in a ritchie era made winnipeg their home versus the roster now...

Apples n oranges folks.

I doubt it's changed much. That was a little over 10 years ago.

Cuz you've lived here for those 10 years? I used to run into bombers everywhere in the offseason.. Malls, movies, walmarts, bars... Now in the offseason id be lucky to see miller or cvetty..

It has changed even if you think not.

I liked what I saw from Marve in the preseason, and always thought he should have been #2...  would be nice to see them split #1 reps over the next couple weeks.  Brohm already said he's heading home this week.  If Marve sticks back and busts his ass, I can see him supplanting Brohm.

Either way... at least the injury happened going in to the bye week.   We SHOULD be able to beat Hamilton at home and keep pace for the last playoff spot!

Brohm heading home? After the injury to Willy & the way he played? That tells me all I need to know. To be a starting qb in the CFL takes sacrifce. And if a player isn't willing to do that, well?? I know it's tough to be away from family but the season ends in less than 2 months & Brohm has 6 months to be with them then. I think that is the wrong decision.

Don't forget the players made plans three weeks back for this bye week and most likely paid for tickets etc. I doubt it's last night that he decided to go home.

I  agree whole heartedly with DB's analysis.

I think that would violate the collective agreement so cancelling the bye week for the entire team would be a non starter. I think anyone who stays would have to be voluntary. Now, having said that if I was Brian Brohm & I knew I'd be starting the next game in 2 weeks, I'd want to stay in Winnipeg to prepare & not go away during the bye week. If Brohm paid for plane fare home, he should get the club to reimburse him for the airline ticket. Same with Marve. These guys are professional football players & if they crap out on the field because of a lack of preparation then they're finished as players with Winnipeg. In Brohm's case maybe forever. They should have stayed in Winnipeg voluntarily & hit the books so to speak. Study video to get prepared. Get in the weight room. Spend time with their qb coach. Throw to any receivers who stayed around town... 

Brohm and Marve can go work out with the Rifles.  ;)  Practicing by themselves isn't going to improve their game-day performance, they need to get familiar with the bus they're driving.  Hopefully enough O players are hanging around town to help them out, not everybody loves the company of their families!.

Shame on the dumbass BC politicians & teachers who use the kids as pawns. Teachers need to be ruled as an essential service & not be allowed to strike. 

No kidding, anybody want to babysit a 3 and 6 year old?  They're driving me crazy and cutting into the time I waste reading football forums!

Thanks for the input doc. Glad you know so much about his injury to make that prognosis based on zero information. Trolling again, I see. At any rate, Willy gives us a chance to win. The Riders chances went up in smoke the day Durant's season/career was ended. Hope you find some humility when your team doesn't win another game this year.

Thanks for the input doc. Glad you know so much about his injury to make that prognosis based on zero information. Trolling again, I see. At any rate, Willy gives us a chance to win. The Riders chances went up in smoke the day Durant's season/career was ended. Hope you find some humility when your team doesn't win another game this year.

This kinda seems like an unnecessary attack post....

but anyways I agree with mfranc... week to week is better than out for the year or whatever else it could be.... even if he has to miss the Hamilton game, hopefully a solid 3 weeks of rehab will have him ready by the ottawa game...

Well my first reaction when reading "Bad news is he'll be banged up for a while" was: How would he know - is that Mike O'shea??  But then I saw that it was one of our resident Rider fans who not only know everything about their teams, they are also able to educate us properly on all of our players and football in general.

I for one would like to welcome our green overlords.

First of all, if there are no receivers to practice with because everyone has gone home...wtf do you think he's going to do by himself?  Throw the ball through a spare tire?  Come on...really, think about this.  And what's Marve going to do?  Stick back and bust his ass with who?  You're not going to get better playing pass with another player.  You need offense, defense, etc... to practice with.  Throwing at dummies aren't going to do anything for him.

You think Marve is going to be good just because he looked good in the off season?  Look where that got Cotton.

I'm not defending Brohm or putting down Marve, but you guys are jumping to conclusions again.

Do you really think that the entire team leaves the city for the bye week?  That there's no one around to practice with?  I'm glad some agree with me... much can be done to better prepare for Hamilton!

As far as Cotton... how much playing time has he had?  That's a stupid comparison...

Do we really need to be attacking the Rider fans in every single thread? Quite honestly that's more annoying than the presence of the few Rider fans we have here.

one thread I was reading yesterday where there was back & forth arguing over which city is better.... thought I was in grade 3 again.  we're all Canadian Prairie folk, and for the most part have a friendly rivalry.  Some people just have nothing better to do...

Durant, Lulay, Mitchell, & possibly Willy out long term. Hope for the best for Drew, sucks big time for the league.

Sucks more for SASK and WPG who do not have that capable veteran backup like BC (GLenn was their starter anyway this year) and Calgary have.

Glenn & Tate have a history of folding in big games. Their question marks are as big as the Bombers & Riders IMO.

Do we really need to be attacking the Rider fans in every single thread? Quite honestly that's more annoying than the presence of the few Rider fans we have here.

one thread I was reading yesterday where there was back & forth arguing over which city is better.... thought I was in grade 3 again. we're all Canadian Prairie folk, and for the most part have a friendly rivalry. Some people just have nothing better to do...

Manitobans & Sask folk are one in the same IMO. Good hard working folk who love this country. I don't understand the hate.