Drew Willy injury

gbill2004

We have to find a player capable of truly becoming a player at qb to back up Willy. Not another team's discards like Brohm. He looked terrible & that play where he just pitched the ball to no one was behind the LOS & it barely, barely rolled out of bounds before a Lions player picked it up as it would have been live. It was a terrible decision & showed that Brohm panicked. Another on the To Do List for Walters, get us a frigging backup qb. This team has more holes than Swiss cheeze.

I liked what I saw from Marve in the preseason, and always thought he should have been #2...  would be nice to see them split #1 reps over the next couple weeks.  Brohm already said he's heading home this week.  If Marve sticks back and busts his ass, I can see him supplanting Brohm.

Either way... at least the injury happened going in to the bye week.   We SHOULD be able to beat Hamilton at home and keep pace for the last playoff spot!

I liked what I saw from Marve in the preseason, and always thought he should have been #2...  would be nice to see them split #1 reps over the next couple weeks.  Brohm already said he's heading home this week.  If Marve sticks back and busts his ass, I can see him supplanting Brohm.

Either way... at least the injury happened going in to the bye week.   We SHOULD be able to beat Hamilton at home and keep pace for the last playoff spot!

Brohm heading home? After the injury to Willy & the way he played? That tells me all I need to know. To be a starting qb in the CFL takes sacrifce. And if a player isn't willing to do that, well?? I know it's tough to be away from family but the season ends in less than 2 months & Brohm has 6 months to be with them then. I think that is the wrong decision. 

At least our back p can complete a pass this year lol

But in all seriousness I really don't want to see Brohm playing much this year for two reasons. One, Willy is way better, two, if Brohm plays to much we will have essentially given up a 2nd round pick in a very good draft for a bad QB... I seriously want our 2nd round pick this year, and it would be nice to get someone else's as well.

The only time Austin laughed since Christmas last year was trading Brohm for a 2nd round pick. Ti Cats office staffers were so shocked they called EMS.

It's not a 2nd round pick. It's a conditional pick; rounds 2-4 depending on games started. Penton said it was something like 6 or less games was a 4th rounder, 9ish games was a 3rd and 12 or more games started was a 2nd round pick.

I'm sure the Bombers will manage Brohm's starts to ensure we give up no more than a 4th rounder.

Brohm heading home? After the injury to Willy & the way he played? That tells me all I need to know. To be a starting qb in the CFL takes sacrifce. And if a player isn't willing to do that, well?? I know it's tough to be away from family but the season ends in less than 2 months & Brohm has 6 months to be with them then. I think that is the wrong decision. 

First of all, if there are no receivers to practice with because everyone has gone home...wtf do you think he's going to do by himself?  Throw the ball through a spare tire?  Come on...really, think about this.  And what's Marve going to do?  Stick back and bust his ass with who?  You're not going to get better playing pass with another player.  You need offense, defense, etc... to practice with.  Throwing at dummies aren't going to do anything for him.

You think Marve is going to be good just because he looked good in the off season?  Look where that got Cotton.

I'm not defending Brohm or putting down Marve, but you guys are jumping to conclusions again.

The only time Austin laughed since Christmas last year was trading Brohm for a 2nd round pick. Ti Cats office staffers were so shocked they called EMS.

It's not a 2nd round pick. It's a conditional pick; rounds 2-4 depending on games started. Penton said it was something like 6 or less games was a 4th rounder, 9ish games was a 3rd and 12 was a 4th.

I'm sure the Bombers will manage Brohm's starts to ensure we give up no more than a 4th rounder.

Nice to know, thanks. I still think Austin at least smiled. ;)

I do expect Brohm to look better with a full week of practice reps.  McManus was high on him for a reason (I hope) and that's why Walters traded for him.  Brohm did look sluggish when trying to run...my GF said it looked like he was "swimming" when he ran, like it was in slow motion (lol).  And his release is a little slow...he seems to have a bit of a wind-up when the throws. 

Who knows, this could be a blessing in disguise.  Getting Brohm, Marve and maybe even Portis some meaningful game reps will help us long term.  I do expect Brohm to look much better next game.   

We have to find a player capable of truly becoming a player at qb to back up Willy. Not another team's discards like Brohm. He looked terrible & that play where he just pitched the ball to no one was behind the LOS & it barely, barely rolled out of bounds before a Lions player picked it up as it would have been live. It was a terrible decision & showed that Brohm panicked. Another on the To Do List for Walters, get us a frigging backup qb. This team has more holes than Swiss cheeze.

Wasn't a fumble.  He was called for intentional grounding on that play.

Brohm looked ok to me.  He's not as accurate as Willy, that is for sure, but you could say that about every CFL QB outside of Ricky Ray.  The last couple drives before BC's final touchdown he looked pretty good.  Zero help from his receivers.  Then after the Lions final TD the floodgates opened on the OL.  Good decisions generally though, you can see him working through his reads and he never put the ball in harms way.  I think he'll be an average CFL QB, we'll see as he gets more reps.  Going to be hard for any of our backups with basically no running game.  You could see it when Brohm was in there.  We were always in 2nd and long, BC would rush 3, maybe blitz a LB and drop 8 or 9 into coverage.  Good luck working against that.  Hard enough for an elite QB like Willy.

I'd like to see us install some sort of option package for Portis.  Remember seeing him run that kind of stuff at Florida and Maryland, he could be a good change of pace, give us a bit of a running game, wake up Grigsby a bit too maybe, get him the ball out in space with the D having to respect Portis' ability to keep the ball himself.

First of all, Willy not the QB you want if you think he's going to just let the game go and kneel. 

Nobody is thinking injury when you take the ball and run. 

He got twisted, and fell on his right side, just as the wall fell on him.

On Brohm, I guess viewers expected him to come in, in a white horse scenario, slay that damn BC defensive dragon, and win the game.

Hard to do without any reps against a fired up defence.

6/13 - 33 yards and I saw a couple of drops out there.

There has to be time to have a look at your back up….to see if you do have a backup.

He just looked OK last night.

He looked bad to a few fans because he didn't do what even Willy also didn't do, rally the team to win the game.

Durant, Lulay, Mitchell, & possibly Willy out long term. Hope for the best for Drew, sucks big time for the league.

Sucks more for SASK and WPG who do not have that capable veteran backup like BC (GLenn was their starter anyway this year) and Calgary have. 

Smart GM's.

Well, would you rather have Glenn or Goossen in this season where we have about a .00001 % chance of winning the Grey Cup with either on our roster?

BC is hosting the Grey Cup and their starter was guaranteed to miss half the season, it made sense for them, doesn't make sense for us given where our team is.  Walters was smart to take the long view on this one.