Good to be Lucky or Lucky to be Good?

mfranc

Put it this way ... I agree more with your thread title than I do with the content of the article you linked to.

It can be an ongoing debate forever but there really is no way to prove Willy was not the preferred option between Collaros, Willy and Burris.

I'm not really sure what he means by missed the boat.  Weren't some of the cap issues with Reilly or Burris reasons why they weren't going to come here?  Plus Burris due to his age really shouldn't even have been in our sights.

Comparing Reilly with Willy ...  Well I will give Reilly this, he is a better scrambler and is faster than Willy, but if he keeps trying to run too much and not kick in some self-preservation instincts, he's gonna end up either like his former mentor whose career may now be over, or even like ole Buck.

So I'll go with Willy.  Guy's got all the throws down and can get that ball there with authority, and when he does run, he at least slides.  Also doesn't get rattled by his mistakes.

I skimmed the article, couldn't bring myself to read it all the way through. I very quickly got the impression that this was somewhat a "Make Up Article" after the last B.S. one he wrote. Like a ref that misses a call and tries to make up for it, getting it right the first time is still the most important. PW remains a ******.

What is the point of even bringing up Reilly anyway? Has no bearing on the current management. All they did was make offers on every available qb in the order they became available. I don't like the implication they got lucky that Willy turned out the best and was the last one they pursued, I think the reason they pursued them all was because they wanted to take luck out of the equation and make sure they got a new qb here some way, some how. So in that regard it's more being proactive than being lucky. 

I think it was more that the Bombers were in the right place at the right time  for the wrong reason(not having a qb able to play at the CFL level) to even be in the market for Burris/Collaros/Willy.

I feel the comparison to Reily is warranted seeing as they are 2 emerging starting qb' but bringing up the fact that Mack missed out on Reily is a red hering.

I think luck is a part of any successful franchise but it plays a small part the rest is hard work, perserverance and a plan for success not leaving it to chance.

What do you believe Mike? Willy was Walter's first choice? Possible, but unlikely.

All I'm saying is that it's impossible to determine who the first choice was because they didn't come available all at the same time.

There are tons of variables. We gave up something to acquire Willy and we know Barker was dangling the rights to Collaros for an asset in return. So did we negotiate with Barker? Or was Collaros not worth an asset to us? Then again, you could easily counter that by saying we gave up an asset because once Burris and Collaros were gone, our situation was more desperate and we NEEDED to get Willy.

You can go in circles with this argument and nobody will ever win. Danny McManus is on record as being a Willy backer the entire time and that's good enough for me because the only thing that matters is whether it was a stroke of genius or an absolute fluke, it worked out for us and now we have a franchise QB.

Bombers wanted one of:

1. Willy & Collaros

2. Willy & Burris

I firmly believe this to be true. First scenario let the two fight it out in TC for the starting job. Second scenario, Burris starts year one, then Willy year two.

Willy doesn't leave Regina to be a backup.

Bombers wanted one of:

1. Willy & Collaros

2. Willy & Burris

I firmly believe this to be true. First scenario let the two fight it out in TC for the starting job. Second scenario, Burris starts year one, then Willy year two.

Willy doesn't leave Regina to be a backup.

I thought you guys were letting Willy go anyways because you had Tino.

That's more or less what you said the other day.

;)

Stop posting links to his articles, I'm sorry I even clicked it and read it. Previous article calling the Bomber brass underhanded and shady and now this article calling the team lucky and not good. Just seems like his main goal is to prevent people from buying tickets, and evidently he plans on doing it with as little amount of effort as possible because his articles must not take very much effort finish off.

Stop posting links to his articles, I'm sorry I even clicked it and read it. Previous article calling the Bomber brass underhanded and shady and now this article calling the team lucky and not good. Just seems like his main goal is to prevent people from buying tickets, and evidently he plans on doing it with as little amount of effort as possible because his articles must not take very much effort finish off.

^^^

This.

Can we not ban links to his articles or something?

What is the point of even bringing up Reilly anyway? Has no bearing on the current management. All they did was make offers on every available qb in the order they became available. I don't like the implication they got lucky that Willy turned out the best and was the last one they pursued, I think the reason they pursued them all was because they wanted to take luck out of the equation and make sure they got a new qb here some way, some how. So in that regard it's more being proactive than being lucky. 

Exactly. We pursued them as they became available. Were we interested in all 3 ot them. Undoubtedly. If we had managed to land Collaros or Burris would we have lost out on Willy. Not necessarily. Rumors around the time of these pursuits were that we wanted one of Collaros and Burris AND Willy.

I'm under the impression we wanted Willy all along, But i also feel that we wanted one of Collaros or Burris too. Like someone else stated, IF it was Burris, Willy would have learned behind him for one season and then became the man, (hell, he probably would have became the man this season anyway as Burris has looked like crap and no, it's not all on Ottawa Receivers, It's on hank too). Collaros, him and Willy would have competed for the number 1 job and I feel Willy probably would have beat him out...

Honestly, The way to look at it I feel is not getting Burris or Collaros is the reason Brian Brohm is here, not the reason Willy is. I think Willy was in their plans all along. 

I guess what i'm basing this on is that Mcmanus, several weeks before we had interest in any of the QB'S came out and pretty much endorsed Willy as the guy he wanted. That's the only real fact we know, can't ignore the fact that our Assistant GM came out and endorsed Willy before we went after any of the other 2. Willy was the guy they wanted all along, just not sure it was only Willy they wanted. But i think the cream always rises to the top and regardless of if they signed Burris or Collaros and Willy, Willy would be the starter right now. 

Oh and don't give me this crap that Willy wouldn't have left Regina to be a back-up. That's BS for sure because In Regina there was a proven starter, In Winnipeg it would have been an open competition for the starters job. Even if the bombers signed Burris (glad they didn't), Willy still would have signed here because fact is, Durant is the Sask starter now and he will be for a very long time. 

Exactly. We pursued them as they became available. Were we interested in all 3 ot them. Undoubtedly. If we had managed to land Collaros or Burris would we have lost out on Willy. Not necessarily. Rumors around the time of these pursuits were that we wanted one of Collaros and Burris AND Willy.

Sorry but you all are really speculating if you think Willy goes from one team as a backup to another team as a backup.

Are we really rehashing this BS again?  We've only debated it in 50 different threads already and we'll probably never know what they really wanted unless Walters himself comes up to us and says "pssst, by the way, we really wanted blah blah blah as our starting QB".

We have Willy.  I, myself, am happy with his performance for the most part seeing as he's a rookie starting QB.  I wish everyone would let it go and stop with the "what ifs".  If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, what a Merry Christmas this would be.

Sorry but you all are really speculating if you think Willy goes from one team as a backup to another team as a backup.

but there's merit to that speculation. Willy wanted to start, if the Bombers had signed Burris well he is old as **** and obviously not a long term solution, certainly shorter term than staying behind Durant. Contrary to the propaganda you folks buy hook line and sinker, players don't dream about playing in Regina forever.