Good to be Lucky or Lucky to be Good?

mfranc

What is the point of even bringing up Reilly anyway? Has no bearing on the current management. All they did was make offers on every available qb in the order they became available. I don't like the implication they got lucky that Willy turned out the best and was the last one they pursued, I think the reason they pursued them all was because they wanted to take luck out of the equation and make sure they got a new qb here some way, some how. So in that regard it's more being proactive than being lucky.

Exactly. We pursued them as they became available. Were we interested in all 3 ot them. Undoubtedly. If we had managed to land Collaros or Burris would we have lost out on Willy. Not necessarily. Rumors around the time of these pursuits were that we wanted one of Collaros and Burris AND Willy.

Sorry but you all are really speculating if you think Willy goes from one team as a backup to another team as a backup.

but there's merit to that speculation. Willy wanted to start, if the Bombers had signed Burris well he is old as **** and obviously not a long term solution, certainly shorter term than staying behind Durant. Contrary to the propaganda you folks buy hook line and sinker, players don't dream about playing in Regina forever.

but but but free paninis....city council jobs...real estate.... I swear, Regina is turning into that town from Friday Night Lights where the old players just hang around

Willy was clearly our third option. The ''they weren't all available at the same time'' argument has no merit whatsoever when you consider the fact that we traded for Willy. If Willy was our first choice, you can bet your ass that the trade would've been made for him before Collaros & Burris were released. I don't see any scenario in which Collaros & Willy both sign with us. It's complete homer-ism(something I'd expect from the Rider fans not us to be quite honest)to think that Collaros would sign here without being guaranteed the starting job.  If Burris signs here, things get a little more interesting. In that scenario, we still do pursue Willy to be our backup(the Riders didn't have enough $$$$ to sign Willy as a backup and they were comfortable with Sunseri) but, BC with Lulay on the shelf also likely pursues him. IMO, in that scenario Willy signs with BC knowing that he gets to start the first half of the season. This is just my opinion but I think our preferences for Quarterbacks were

1) Henry Burris & Drew Willy

2) Zach Collaros & Kevin Glenn

3) Henry Burris

4) Drew Willy & Kevin Glenn

5) Zach Collaros

6) Drew Willy

7) Kevin Glenn 

It's nice that we got the best of the three Quarterbacks, but I'd agree that we did get lucky in how things turned out. You just can't convince me that Henry Burris gets offered nearly 400K if we wanted Drew Willy as our starting QB. That doesn't add up whatsoever, we clearly wanted Burris badly. In the end, who really cares? The Bombers won big with Willy and the RedBlacks lost big with Burris. That's all that concerns me. 

Willy was clearly our third option. The ''they weren't all available at the same time'' argument has no merit whatsoever when you consider the fact that we traded for Willy. If Willy was our first choice, you can bet your ass that the trade would've been made for him before Collaros & Burris were released. I don't see any scenario in which Collaros & Willy both sign with us. It's complete homer-ism(something I'd expect from the Rider fans not us to be quite honest)to think that Collaros would sign here without being guaranteed the starting job.  If Burris signs here, things get a little more interesting. In that scenario, we still do pursue Willy to be our backup(the Riders didn't have enough $$$$ to sign Willy as a backup and they were comfortable with Sunseri) but, BC with Lulay on the shelf also likely pursues him. IMO, in that scenario Willy signs with BC knowing that he gets to start the first half of the season. 

We didn't offer Burris that kind of money.

And your theory about the availability theory being flawed is flawed.

Fact is nobody knew that  Collaros, then Burris would be released in the manner they were.

There was that free agency thing.

So teams were probably talking and information exchanged, but nobody could know in advance who wanted whom and in what order.

Entirely too much is made of this whole "who they wanted most" idea. I think the clearest thing was they wanted someone, I am sure they had a preference, but I think they'd have been happy getting any of them so they took the proactive approach and didn't just target one guy, they made a pitch for all of them expecting to get one and to go from there. Collaros was the first available so they tried to get him first then Burris was a free agent so they tried to get him and when Willy was the last one left they made a trade to get his rights and signed him right away. 

Willy was clearly our third option. The ''they weren't all available at the same time'' argument has no merit whatsoever when you consider the fact that we traded for Willy. If Willy was our first choice, you can bet your ass that the trade would've been made for him before Collaros & Burris were released. I don't see any scenario in which Collaros & Willy both sign with us. It's complete homer-ism(something I'd expect from the Rider fans not us to be quite honest)to think that Collaros would sign here without being guaranteed the starting job.  If Burris signs here, things get a little more interesting. In that scenario, we still do pursue Willy to be our backup(the Riders didn't have enough $$$$ to sign Willy as a backup and they were comfortable with Sunseri) but, BC with Lulay on the shelf also likely pursues him. IMO, in that scenario Willy signs with BC knowing that he gets to start the first half of the season.. 

No.  To almost all of it.  No.

A collection of weak and likely incorrect assumptions based on a completely flawed premise.

Willy was clearly our third option. The ''they weren't all available at the same time'' argument has no merit whatsoever when you consider the fact that we traded for Willy. If Willy was our first choice, you can bet your ass that the trade would've been made for him before Collaros & Burris were released. I don't see any scenario in which Collaros & Willy both sign with us. It's complete homer-ism(something I'd expect from the Rider fans not us to be quite honest)to think that Collaros would sign here without being guaranteed the starting job.  If Burris signs here, things get a little more interesting. In that scenario, we still do pursue Willy to be our backup(the Riders didn't have enough $$$$ to sign Willy as a backup and they were comfortable with Sunseri) but, BC with Lulay on the shelf also likely pursues him. IMO, in that scenario Willy signs with BC knowing that he gets to start the first half of the season.. 

No.  To almost all of it.  No.

A collection of weak and likely incorrect assumptions based on a completely flawed premise.

The only weak and incorrect assumptions in this thread is ''Bombers management said the guy they signed was the number one target so obviously its true.'' Lots of stuff I said is my opinion(as I said) but there's a ton of facts in there as well. But hey, if you feel like picking through those ''weak and likely incorrect assumptions'' feel free and I'd be happy to prove you wrong.

Been posted here many times, but people seem to forget or something, so I'll post again:

Bombers wanted Willy all along. Mac D had been pursuing him for a long time. Bombers wanted him plus whoever, initially.

Taman had told Willy that he was no longer in their plans because they liked Sunseri more and needed to give him the #2 spot behind Durant.

Willy was coming to Winnipeg one way or another, and it was just a matter of whether it was as a clear cut starter or in competition with someone. All he ever asked for was a legit chance at the #1 job. Collaros and Burris falling through just made it that much easier for him.

I dont understand how some can completely ignore the fact that our Assitant GM came out and basically endorsed Willy weeks before the bombers had "interest" in the other guys. 

That's the only fact that is out there so to ignore that is just being silly. Think some people are having a hard time distinguishing between what they wanted and what the team wanted, Fact is, most this  board WANTED collaros, nobody in the bomber organization hinted at that, not even O'shea when he was asked about it, Just said, i'll just say this, "Zach is a good kid". 

To ignore that the only guy that anyone in our organization spoke highly of before signing here was mcmanus speaking highly of Willy is crazy. But with that being said, who really cares anymore. We got our guy, he's our starting qb and i'm pretty sure everyone is happy that he is. 

Willy was clearly our third option. The ''they weren't all available at the same time'' argument has no merit whatsoever when you consider the fact that we traded for Willy. If Willy was our first choice, you can bet your ass that the trade would've been made for him before Collaros & Burris were released. I don't see any scenario in which Collaros & Willy both sign with us. It's complete homer-ism(something I'd expect from the Rider fans not us to be quite honest)to think that Collaros would sign here without being guaranteed the starting job.  If Burris signs here, things get a little more interesting. In that scenario, we still do pursue Willy to be our backup(the Riders didn't have enough $$$$ to sign Willy as a backup and they were comfortable with Sunseri) but, BC with Lulay on the shelf also likely pursues him. IMO, in that scenario Willy signs with BC knowing that he gets to start the first half of the season. This is just my opinion but I think our preferences for Quarterbacks were

3) Henry Burris

5) Zach Collaros

6) Drew Willy

7) Kevin Glenn 

It's nice that we got the best of the three Quarterbacks, but I'd agree that we did get lucky in how things turned out. You just can't convince me that Henry Burris gets offered nearly 400K if we wanted Drew Willy as our starting QB. That doesn't add up whatsoever, we clearly wanted Burris badly. In the end, who really cares? The Bombers won big with Willy and the RedBlacks lost big with Burris. That's all that concerns me. 

LOL. this is so wrong on so many levels it's crazy... Kevin Glenn? Dude you are confusing what people on fan boards said. Noone in the bombers ever said Glenn was an option, they actually said the opposite, said he wasn't. 

You got it all backwards

1. Willy and Collaros (he  came available first)

2. Willy and Burris (he only came available after the ticats signed collaros)

3. Willy 

Common them in all those options, Drew Willy. Stop pretending what fans on the forum wanted is what the team wanted. Kevin  Glenn was never an option. Ever. Not once. Only to a few people on these fan boards. 

3) Henry Burris

5) Zach Collaros

6) Drew Willy

7) Kevin Glenn 

LOL. this is so wrong on so many levels it's crazy... Kevin Glenn? Dude you are confusing what people on fan boards said. Noone in the bombers ever said Glenn was an option, they actually said the opposite, said he wasn't. 

You got it all backwards

3. Willy 

Common them in all those options, Drew Willy. Stop pretending what fans on the forum wanted is what the team wanted. Kevin  Glenn was never an option. Ever. Not once. Only to a few people on these fan boards. 

I'm not sure that the guy who is completely unaware of the Bombers inquiring about Kevin Glenn even after we had acquired Drew Willy should be telling me that I have things backwards. The Bombers were very interested in Kevin Glenn, we just weren't willing to give up Goossen to get him.

3) Henry Burris

5) Zach Collaros

6) Drew Willy

7) Kevin Glenn 

You got it all backwards

3. Willy 

I'm not sure that the guy who is completely unaware of the Bombers inquiring about Kevin Glenn even after we had acquired Drew Willy should be telling me that I have things backwards. The Bombers were very interested in Kevin Glenn, we just weren't willing to give up Goossen to get him.

In other words, we didn't want him that bad. That was after we signed Willy too so to have  Glenn ahead of willy on your made up in your head list is ridiculous. 

3) Henry Burris

5) Zach Collaros

6) Drew Willy

7) Kevin Glenn 

You got it all backwards

3. Willy 

In other words, we didn't want him that bad. That was after we signed Willy too so to have  Glenn ahead of willy on your made up in your head list is ridiculous. 

Where did you see Kevin Glenn ahead of Drew Willy? You didn't because it isn't there. You're completely clueless, there was no situation in which Drew Willy and Zach Collaros could've been teammates.