NFL update on players potentially of Bomber interest

Mr. Perfect

We need a receiver to replace Bryant too.

Explain to me why we need to replace Bryant when he's in the midst of his best season ever. 

now it occurs to me that maybe you mean Romby Bryant not bryant turner, in which case, i'm an idiot never mind me.

Yes I should have been more clear. I meant Romby. I think he is finished and really hope that Matthews decides to return to the bombers.

You said receiver. That's about as clear as it gets.

Did Chris Matthews quite on the team? I know two years ago he had a great season but last year he just was "meh"   I believe Denmark had a better year last year than he did; just didn't seem to make many plays but we also had a terrible supporitng cast.  I guess my memory just serves me that Chris Matthews felt like a one shot wonder.  If it was that he had quit on the team, than perhaps he plays at a much higher level than I would expect or anticipate than what I remember from last year which is much closer to my memory.

Do we have room on our PR and Roster to be able to get another person without letting someone go?  Which receiver goes if someone has to go?  Most say Aaron Kelly but he seems to have good chemistry with Drew Willy and has been a well utilizied receiver this year although he dissappeared in three possible four of the last five games?  But than Willy also seemed to stop throwing the ball around to multiple receivers in those games as well.

It's hard for me to dislike any of our receivers except for Moore and Romby; even though most love Moore.  I guess if Moore stopped fumbling he would be a great receiver as well; but his fumbles have put a bad taste in my mouth.

Did Chris Matthews quite on the team? I know two years ago he had a great season but last year he just was "meh"   I believe Denmark had a better year last year than he did; just didn't seem to make many plays but we also had a terrible supporitng cast.  I guess my memory just serves me that Chris Matthews felt like a one shot wonder.  If it was that he had quit on the team, than perhaps he plays at a much higher level than I would expect or anticipate than what I remember from last year which is much closer to my memory.

Do we have room on our PR and Roster to be able to get another person without letting someone go?  Which receiver goes if someone has to go?  Most say Aaron Kelly but he seems to have good chemistry with Drew Willy and has been a well utilizied receiver this year although he dissappeared in three possible four of the last five games?  But than Willy also seemed to stop throwing the ball around to multiple receivers in those games as well.

It's hard for me to dislike any of our receivers except for Moore and Romby; even though most love Moore.  I guess if Moore stopped fumbling he would be a great receiver as well; but his fumbles have put a bad taste in my mouth.

Matthews probably didn't make many plays because he was hurt for most of the year, He stuck around Winnipeg when he was hurt too so, I don't think he quit on the team, he could have gone home like other players did when they  got hurt but he stuck around. If you wanna know who actually quit on the team, Look at the roster from last season and then look at guys no longer here... or guys who were released in the off season. Those were your quitters. 

Goltz, Simpson,Couple Oline i'm sure, Mainor, Stewart, Johnson, I'm sure a few others too but those are the guys i'd suspect "quit" on the team. 

This whole 'quit' on the team is such a bizarre argument...  Matthews gets a pass because he was nicked up... except so was Simpson - pretty reasonable evidence that Mainor and Stewart were playing hurt, even JJ - I mean how does JJ 'quit' on the team when he plays every position, does everything Burke ever asked of him and more?

The entire team had 'quit' except for maybe three guys by the last third of the season

No, but I do know that Burleson 33 year old wide receiver who is well respected within the NFL for how he conducts himself, which is obviously the opposite of the latter. The downside is that can't stay healthy, and can't play the slot (which is why he got cut in Cleveland) versus a 36 year old receiver who has essentially been blackballed from the NFL because of his antics on and off the field, nevermind the fact it's clear that he has no business playing football anymore. Johnson is up here for two reasons - He gets the attention he craves, and Wettenhall gets to sell a few extra tickets. Burleson is one of those veterans that because he is well respected, and can run good routes and has good hands, that could easily be a veteran pick up for a team in the NFL that gets into injury trouble. Even if that wasn't the case, he'd have zero reason to entertain the idea of playing here based on where he is in his career - But hey if you want to imply otherwise, I'm not going to stop you from being wrong. :)

At this point Chad Johnson is little more than a pad-wearing publicity stunt.

Burleson probably lands a job somewhere this year after there are some injuries.  He is on the tail-end of his career though, and the chances of him getting a camp invite next season are somewhat slim.

There were guys who reportedly quit on the team. I don't care how supposedly bad the coaching is. There will be good times and bad. A player is paid to play.

A grocery bagger gets paid to bag groceries.  That doesn't mean his heart is in it.  A six month long downward spiral would affect any person.  That is normal.  You can't pretend that football players aren't humans.

Looking at what happens on the field and extrapolating what is in a player's heart is something most fans should avoid.

WR Chris Williams and RB Marcus Thigpen cut again by their respective clubs. Anybody knew any updates re WR Chris Matthews?

No update on Matthews since his agent said he wasn't going to come back to the CFL this year. I haven't seen anything about his work-out with the Redskins but he hasn't been signed at this point. I would guess he's still exhausting all avenues with other teams.

Not that the Bombers had any interest in him and it was unlikely he would come back up to the CFL this season anyways, but Alex Hall has a wrist/hand injury that will keep him out of football until the end of 2014.  Per Kirk Penton's weekly CFL article...

"For those fans hoping your team goes after defensive end Alex Hall, you can forget it for this season. The former Bombers and Riders rush end has a hand or wrist injury that is expected to sideline him until at least the end of 2014, according to a source ..."

Not sure if this is old news but it's the first I've heard about it.

Im not sure where to put this so Ill just stick it here,

Per #CFL sources: The #Argos are trying to trade for DL Jabar Westerman from the #BCLions. Westerman has fallen out of favour in BC.

Maybe we can join the fun.

Wonder what that's all about?

Gotta love these trades between the same owner, can basically formulate any rumor you want to justify bolstering the weak sister. Complete crock of **** if you ask me and should be rule against this sort of collusion and clear conflict of interest.

Per #CFL sources: The #Argos are trying to trade for DL Jabar Westerman from the #BCLions. Westerman has fallen out of favour in BC.

What are six games of Westerman worth? A late round draft pick?

Neufeld and a fourth for Westerman and a 2nd round pick...

What are six games of Westerman worth? A late round draft pick?

Neufeld and a fourth for Westerman and a 2nd round pick...

Am actually ok with that. although I dont think the Leos will buy that.

Wonder what that's all about?

Gotta love these trades between the same owner, can basically formulate any rumor you want to justify bolstering the weak sister. Complete crock of **** if you ask me and should be rule against this sort of collusion and clear conflict of interest.

Does David Braley have to give his blessings for trades to happen? If the organizations are run correctly, my guess is no, therefore no conflict.

Not to mention the fact we're a nine team league. BC and Toronto have to have the option of dealing with one another.

If this trade goes through it looks like hell. It's so friggin obvious there's a conflict of interest here and the rest of the league should be objecting loud and long about this b.s. Braley has to divest himself from one of his clubs and quit making the league look like we haven't much credibility. This latest cozy little deal is pure bull$hit.

Westerman is a huge NI talent that is sitting on the bench just for 'old school Wally' reasons...  If we have passed on him, then Walters needs to take a step back - huge upgrade over Thomas imo... and I like Thomas.

I don't think we'll "pass" on him.  We're limited in what we can offer.  BC can get a better deal from other teams.  It's the downside of having no assets - it makes it tough to acquire assets.

Westerman would be a solid pickup.  Quality National defensive lineman are worth their weight in gold.