Edmonton vs Ottawa

Jpan85

Might of been said earlier but in the 3rd quarter there was an Ottawa block on a rushing (Sewell maybe but I couldn't see the number) eskie lineman that was  blatant hands to the face - the Ottawa lineman had both hands on his helmet and was pushing his head straight back - far far worse than the second one Howard was called on when Romby romped to the end zone. I knew cause Ford was showing a replay of it and circled it and called it a great block. WTF - I'm so confused now about this penalty. 

Edmonton's offense is not that good - correct there it's all defense.

Carter should be cut after they bring in Jade (is he playing in junior somewhere?) Etienne - they'll need a National replacement for him but yeah, he was B-R-U-T-A-L

Wow Ottawa receivers lost that game tonight.

I didn't see the entire game, but every time I looked I saw receivers dropping passes, man alive... Sure to god they could have found some players with hands on them couldn't they? Make a few catches they win that game. 

In other news, 10-8 as a CFL final, that's just embarrassing. 

Wow Ottawa receivers lost that game tonight.

I didn't see the entire game, but every time I looked I saw receivers dropping passes, man alive... Sure to god they could have found some players with hands on them couldn't they? Make a few catches they win that game. 

In other news, 10-8 as a CFL final, that's just embarrassing. 

Did you see the Ondrea Jones drop in the end zone?    Right in the chest all he had to do was hold on and fall down....

Also Edmonton did their best to give the game away with not making the late 3rd down in the red zone.. fumbling in the red zone.... bad pick by Reilly...  horrendous penalties (Willis naturally causing  a few).....  

yeah there was one right on the goal line, easy touchdown, throw right in the numbers and he whiffs, just disgusting. 

You get a good performance from your defense who keeps giving you chances to win and you let them down in a big way because you can't hold on to passes. 

There was a play I recall where Burris was buying himself some time in the pocket and his receiver kind of half asses his way downfield as Burris throws it deep. Gotta think the receivers should know that Burris can ******* chuck the ball, just keep running and he'll go over top. 

I'm curious...is Ott better with Glenn and then more money for receivers? Or better with Hank and the current roster?

Glenn and Burris are in the same class IMO.  Never understood why they were so eager for Burris, a QB pushing 40 who still makes rookie mistakes like trying to lateral when he's being sacked.

If I were them I would have been after the Willy's, Collaros' and Tate's.  Have a couple guys (any of those < guys with Demarco) with some future and upside along with some CFL experience and let them battle.  This team won't be good either way, at least use the wasted season(s) developing a QB.

I'm curious...is Ott better with Glenn and then more money for receivers? Or better with Hank and the current roster?

Seeing as they're not going to win it all in the next little while and seeing as they already had a capable QB to play while they developed another one, it made no sense to throw that kind of money at a 39 yr. old QB.

Far better to spread that money over 2 or even 3 FAs that could have helped their team more than the marginal difference between Henry and Kevin, IMO.

Seems like somebody agrees with you.

Glenn and Burris are in the same class IMO.  Never understood why they were so eager for Burris, a QB pushing 40 who still makes rookie mistakes like trying to lateral when he's being sacked.

If I were them I would have been after the Willy's, Collaros' and Tate's.  Have a couple guys (any of those < guys with Demarco) with some future and upside along with some CFL experience and let them battle.  This team won't be good either way, at least use the wasted season(s) developing a QB.

Yeah as it stands now by the time they have the rest of a team they're going to be struggling to find a qb cause Hank will be done. I just don't understand the thought process there. Did they really think a qb could do it all by himself?

That team will never be anything as long as Desjardins is calling the shots.

Desjardins ran the Ti Cats into the ground overspending on Casey Printers. They could have used the money saved with having Glenn on other positions. As Dee & others are saying what's the point of spending $450,000 on a 40 yr old qb who has little if anything to throw to??? As stated by others, by the time the redblacks have these weapons Hank will be retired. Glenn would have given them stability & consistency at qb at about a quarter to half the price they're paying Hank now. Glenn may have not put up superstar numbers but the money saved could have been spent elsewhere & would have made the team better than they are now with Hank starting. Look for Rick Campbell to be Marcel's first sacrificial lamb before he gets the boot himself in a couple of years. 

Desjardins ran the Ti Cats into the ground overspending on Casey Printers. They could have used the money saved with having Glenn on other positions. As Dee & others are saying what's the point of spending $450,000 on a 40 yr old qb who has little if anything to throw to??? As stated by others, by the time the redblacks have these weapons Hank will be retired. Glenn would have given them stability & consistency at qb at about a quarter to half the price they're paying Hank now. Glenn may have not put up superstar numbers but the money saved could have been spent elsewhere & would have made the team better than they are now with Hank starting. Look for Rick Campbell to be Marcel's first sacrificial lamb before he gets the boot himself in a couple of years. 

What was the worst that happens with Glenn as the qb? They have a shitty record? Same as now? Desjardins with the silly notion that all you need is a big money qb. 

What was the worst that happens with Glenn as the qb? They have a shitty record? Same as now? Desjardins with the silly notion that all you need is a big money qb. 

The coach that looks even more foolish is Austin for letting Henry go.

The coach that looks even more foolish is Austin for letting Henry go.

Well that's hard to really say with Collaros being hurt. Burris was never going to lead the Ti-cats to a championship and he is certainly not a long term solution. Hard to say the Ti-cats were really wrong to try and move on, just bad luck the guy they tapped got hurt so early. 

To me, Desjardins thought his team was better than it actually is. I'm quite sure he thought with Hank he might win the East. I mean, Desjardins was cocky & arrogant all off season from the Expansion Draft all the way through the CFL Combine & CFL Draft. And the shot he took at the Bomber organization saying publicly that there weren't any players good enough in the final round to take so he just picked someone randomly? A GM doesn't talk like that unless he thinks  (1) he's doing a great job in his opinion & (2) he thinks he has a very good team. Yeah, he's finding out he's not so smart & his team is nowhere near as good as he figured it would be. Going the Hank route & paying huge money with a small salary cap has really handcuffed the team. They're in the same boat with Hank as they would be with Glenn. It was an extremely stupid move. 

To me, Desjardins thought his team was better than it actually is. I'm quite sure he thought with Hank he might win the East. I mean, Desjardins was cocky & arrogant all off season from the Expansion Draft all the way through the CFL Combine & CFL Draft. And the shot he took at the Bomber organization saying publicly that there weren't any players good enough in the final round to take so he just picked someone randomly? A GM doesn't talk like that unless he thinks  (1) he's doing a great job in his opinion & (2) he thinks he has a very good team. Yeah, he's finding out he's not so smart & his team is nowhere near as good as he figured it would be. Going the Hank route & paying huge money with a small salary cap has really handcuffed the team. They're in the same boat with Hank as they would be with Glenn. It was an extremely stupid move. 

Come to think of it, they would be in the same position with Brink or even Hall.

Meh, argos pay Ray a bunch of cash and still are pretty good, even with injuries, they are on a roll. It's not about paying Hank, it's about actually recruiting guys to play other spots and quite frankly, the best redblacks have been guys who were on other teams last season or were  in the league before, capicotti has been good, walker has been good, can anyone name a guy on that team who wasn't in the league before that has looked good? I can't off the top of my head... That's the problem there, it's not Henry (although he hasn't looked good either).. It's a combination of things...

Ray gets paid tons too and the argos are pretty decent themselves so i don't buy the paying hank 450,000 thing is their downfall, their downfall is their lack of scouting, which for an expansion team, i suppose it makes some sense. Although they had a year in advance to scout guys so one would assume they would be able to find a couple gems, have they? I can't think of any. 

Signing Hank helped create excitement and sell tickets, so from that perspective it was a good business move.

Yup, IMO, signing hank was all about name recognition, people know who henry buriss is, I'm not sure Kevin Glenn sells tickets. Henry is more marketable than Glenn, he is a name, he can put his name on things, Glenn, decent qb but if you were to poll a group of casual  fans, and said... Glenn or Buriss, most would say Buriss just cuz they have more than likely heard his name before. 

The point isn't signing Burris for all that money..it's what they could have done with the extra money and FAs.

Name recognition? Nick Moore, Koch, Laurent? or any one of the other FAs that they would have had with the extra cash.

They still wouldn't have done much more, but they could have had a more complete team.