Time For The Als To Hire Barresi As OC

Pete Catan's Ghost, on 01 Aug 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

The Unknown Poster, on 01 Aug 2014 - 9:41 PM, said:

I feel sorry for dinwiddie. He gets a dream opportunity that he's just not ready for and the team isn't good enough. Hope this doesn't ruin his career.

Remind you of someone else ... someone a little closer to home?

Well Tim Burke's career as a DC is gonna remain intact I think.

When the QB'S can't throw the ball or complete a pass, man... doesn't matter what the OC is calling. 

Now Bourke is probably done for the season, his reaction on the field certainly made it seem like a brutal injury. I'm gonna say it, it looks good on Montreal, i hate them and always have and always will. Love to see the als struggle, they always came across as being an egostical dbag organization back to the days when the don was the coach, looks good on them. 

Montreal wasn't very good last season either though, you lose AC and you struggle bad there, turns out AC was the reason the als were good for so long.

You forget Trestman?

The Als aren't going to bring in anyone else anytime soon, but I'd bet that Schonert's finger prints will be all over the offense by next weeks game.

Higgins and Dinwiddie's future for next season looks grim though.

The Als aren't going to bring in anyone else anytime soon, but I'd bet that Schonert's figure prints will be all over the offense by next weeks game.

Higgins and Dinwiddie's future for next season looks grim though.

Don't include Dinwiddie with Higgins. Popp likes him. He signed him to a 2 year extension before the season started. They bring in another OC then Dinwiddie would likely go back to being the QB coach.

Where is Adrian McPherson ?

Now that - is the question. Good going BigBlue - and the Al's issues definitely revolve around this guy (well, him and the management that put him there). For years he was to be the 'heir apparent' and that's what they planned for. If they had a real 'heir', like a Drew Willy, or a Mike Reilly (still can't get over his being O player of the month but looking back he was the most 'consistent' I guess). So after all those years of 'grooming', he's gone, and they have, Alex Brink, and the guy I called as a bum (man I'm good if I do say so myself) in Troy Smith. My prediction before the season started, I said Montreal would be dead last unless they got themselves a QB, then they could get up into 6th place (which looks like second in the east) but as long as Troy was there they'd be bad. One game against BC, where their D won, and one game against us, where, for some unknown reason, Troy wasn't overthrowing his receivers by 20 yards, and that's it. All the other games  he literally looks like a fish out of water. 

Edmonton (yes 17to85 go ahead lay down another smartass comment on me but it's true) did it 1000% right in the 80's (though they had the coin). It was a QB factory here - too good almost. Starting in the 70's with Moon (and Wilkie of course), Lemmerman, Allen, Dunnigan, Hamm, some vets to smooth things over than Maas, Ray the a bit of a dry spell and their fall from grace but now Nichols and Reilly. 

Wpg has to do the same and though it's early I really like Marve. No concrete evidence for that other than the limited time in pre-season and what I read about his camp in Florida, but if Willy goes down I think Marve could be a good fill in. Not as good as Willy but he's no Brink/Elliot either. 

Anyway - like mentioned already - why do we care about Montreal? This looks good on them. Now lets see how 'good' these Montreal football fans really are. Will they continue to support their team like the great fans of Wpg have been doing for the past 20 years? We'll see but I bet not - the true definition of 'fair weather' fans in good ole Montreal 

McPherson didn't recover from his injury this is why Calgary let him go

On top of that he failed to develop so hence why he is not playing anywhere in the CFL.

That being said, I think Higgins is gonna take major heat for the mishandling of the QB situation last night.  None of the options they currently have, especially under the current circumstances, will probably be around in the league much longer, but I think they gotta stick with Smith as he gives them the best chance to win of any QB they have.  Certainly more so than Marsh or Brink.

The interesting question is which current backup QB is going to get signed by them over the offseason.  Right now, other than Drew Tate and maybe Nichols if he's available, I think the current list is slim as far as true potentials go, though at this point free agency backups are probably the best chance they have.  I mean who knows, possibly another NFL cut QB comes up to try his hand in this league and they land a golden nugget in the basket, but because of the major differences between 3 and 4 down football and the way the game works, I tend to think you just don't get CFL rookie QBs who become RG3s, Andy Daltons, or Cam Newtons up here.  The way I seen it work, most QBs have to spend a couple years at least learning the game before they can start.  So... in that regard Montreal will likely be set back a few years regarding finding a future QB.  I mean, I know turnarounds can happen quick in this league and we did find Drew Willy, but he certainly was not raw and was a fairly high prospect.  I don't think the available stock to Montreal is gonna be quite that high this next year.

If Crompton is the Als only answer, that's just pathetic.

Popp really screwed the Als by not having a succession plan for AC. Considering all the info out there, it seems as though Popp's dream was one of Smith, Wilson or Tebow.

I think Popp like Wally is starting to lose his mojo.