Time For The Als To Hire Barresi As OC

Where is Adrian McPherson ?

Now that - is the question. Good going BigBlue - and the Al's issues definitely revolve around this guy (well, him and the management that put him there). For years he was to be the 'heir apparent' and that's what they planned for. If they had a real 'heir', like a Drew Willy, or a Mike Reilly (still can't get over his being O player of the month but looking back he was the most 'consistent' I guess). So after all those years of 'grooming', he's gone, and they have, Alex Brink, and the guy I called as a bum (man I'm good if I do say so myself) in Troy Smith. My prediction before the season started, I said Montreal would be dead last unless they got themselves a QB, then they could get up into 6th place (which looks like second in the east) but as long as Troy was there they'd be bad. One game against BC, where their D won, and one game against us, where, for some unknown reason, Troy wasn't overthrowing his receivers by 20 yards, and that's it. All the other games  he literally looks like a fish out of water. 

To answer your question... Adrian McPherson was signed in the off season by the Stamps. However, prior to training camp  he was released because he hadn't recovered from an injury he suffered last year in the Arena League. I'm not 100% certain but I believe he had a serious knee injury. Anyway, when he was released Huff said he was disappointed that he wouldn't be coming to camp as he signed AM for a veteran presence to have a role similar to Kevin Glenn. Don't know the status of McPherson now. If he can play or if he ever will. 

I don't think Hall would be an upgrade over Smith.  Poor arm strength + poor accuracy + pocket passer is worse than big arm strength + poor accuracy + running ability.  

Edmonton isn't going to trade NIchols and the Als wouldn't want him anyway.

McPherson was supposed to be Calvillo's successor, but he never progressed partly because he didn't get enough playing time.  

QB's not Montreal's biggest problem anyway.  It's coaching.  They hired their HC late. They fired their OC in TC after he installed the offence.   Dinwiddie is way out of his depth. They brought back the ghost of Don Matthews to try and right the ship.  (It looked like it was way past his bedtime on the sidelines).  They've tried to turn Smith into a pocket passer, which he's never been and won't ever be.  They played musical QB's in the last game, even after Smith had an OK first quarter.  They've put Brink ahead of Marsh. 

I don't see them turning it around this year and I expect another house cleaning in the off season. 

Get that feeling and we seen it here with the BOD (who are the defacto "owners" of the bombers) but i think once the owner gets involved too much, see it hockey lots of times, that the problems then start to add up, hiring higgins without popp's approval was a bad move. That is on the owner obviously. Top to Bottom, Montreal is a mess. 

I don't think Hall would be an upgrade over Smith.  Poor arm strength + poor accuracy + pocket passer is worse than big arm strength + poor accuracy + running ability.  

Edmonton isn't going to trade NIchols and the Als wouldn't want him anyway.

McPherson was supposed to be Calvillo's successor, but he never progressed partly because he didn't get enough playing time.  

QB's not Montreal's biggest problem anyway.  It's coaching.  They hired their HC late. They fired their OC in TC after he installed the offence.   Dinwiddie is way out of his depth. They brought back the ghost of Don Matthews to try and right the ship.  (It looked like it was way past his bedtime on the sidelines).  They've tried to turn Smith into a pocket passer, which he's never been and won't ever be.  They played musical QB's in the last game, even after Smith had an OK first quarter.  They've put Brink ahead of Marsh. 

I don't see them turning it around this year and I expect another house cleaning in the off season. 

Troy Smith is not a running QB.  He is a pocket passer who has some ability to scramble.  He ran for about 40 yards per game at Ohio State.  The problem is that he isn't good as any type of QB, because he has no consistent accuracy no matter where he's throwing from.  They are paying him a lot too.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's making more than Willy.  I find it hard to judge Dinwiddie given Smith's obvious issues.  I watched a decent portion of the game against Toronto, and Smith was just sailing the ball past open receivers, missing wide-open guys in the flats and on bubble screens that were well blocked, even on deep balls his supposed strength.  Several times he had Duron Carter 1 on 1, but couldn't even give him a shot to make a play on a deep ball, and Carter has one of the largest catching radii on either side of the border.

Yeah I don't quite get why people think Troy Smith is a scrambling QB.  I watched many a game he played at Ohio State and he was almost anything but.

That being said, I think a lot of QBs find out, especially from watching the current starters who have been up in the league a while, that you better be ready to run as a QB in this league.  Even the best O-lines will still have problems at times giving you a clean pocket, and I think Smith has found that out much the hard way in this league.  Also such things can make accuracy issues difficult, not to mention as a guy who's likely used to hitting those quick release passes and even deep routes on a typical US sized field.

I think at this point, we all just gotta admit he's just one of those QBs that hey, he'll go down as having one of the most successful college careers, but he simply wasn't cut out to play the pro game.  I mean, I guess it's possible he may try to finish out his days in the AFL, but likely that doesn't pay squat.  Also another reason why I just want to beat some fans over the head when they think someone's US college football history means they're gonna do well up here.  I mean, it means absolutely and I mean absolutely nothing.

Good QBs who do well in this league have almost always had a guiding point from a veteran QB that they have understudied for a few years and a coach who's known what he's doing in regards to QB play.  I don't think I have ever heard of any QBs, whether they came up here straight out of college, or spent a few years in an NFL stint that didn't work out, that have ever done well when thrown straight into action.  I mean, I think Robert Marve can definitely be a good to great QB once he gets a couple years of the learning curb under his belt, but there's a reason we aren't just throwing him into action other than short yardage plays.

I think all 3 of their QBs are gonna be gone at the end of this year, likely will go a route similar to what we did with bringing in of new ones.  If Higgins is the one who botched the Worman situation and doesn't make plans to get a real OC by next year, he should either take major heat or be gone.  If it's Popp interfering in that business, Wetenhall is gonna need to put him back in his place and tell him to get back to scouting and bringing in younger Canadian and import talent instead of going after NFL rejects with little future to them.  You just start wondering if that current extension given to Popp was a mistake as he seems to not be doing a whole lot right since Trestman and Calvillo left.  Anyway, if Wetenhall hopes to keep money in his pocket with the team he had better get his act together.