Has Your Attitude Changed In The Last 5 Years?

Brandon

Somewhat copied from the message i wrote on the other site but....

Remember back in the day , not even so long ago when you and your friends would go to the game and would be "disappointed" if Khari/Glenn didn't throw near 300 yards, a few TD's ,   and Roberts was always over the century mark and Stokes would be expected to get at least one big return per game.   

You would expect the defense to actually make a few interceptions or someone like Barrin would strip the ball and the offense would get some fantastic field position.  

Back when our only major complaint was that Westwood was still on the team and that our placekicker would be the shits while Jon Ryan would boom some huge punts.   

I used to go to the game with my friends and generally expect more times then not for our team to win at home.  What really sucks is most of my casual bomber fan friends have absolutely zero interest in going to the game anymore... I'm thinking the team is going to really struggle selling tickets at the end of this year and next season.  

Fast forward to these days ,   when I watch the Blue play,  It's nearly a miracle if they get a win and for the most part I go into the game hoping that they don't embarrass themselves and keep it competitive.   I only expect us to win if the defense has an insanely over the top fantastic game (like against Montreal) and if our QB actually can go over 200 yards passing and our rb is over 60 yards running to me that's almost like a Tecmo Bowl like stats and it's a huge success.  

It's just weird because I look back and remember complaining about Glenn getting shell shocked and on a crap day he'd throw 250 yards and Roberts would only get 70 or so yards on the ground and I'd think that used to be a stinker.  

Has anyone else lowered their own bar of expectations massively as much as I?

I just find it weird that people get stoked when Etienne get 3 receptions for 60 yards or when Simpson runs for 75 yards.  

I remember Roberts getting 120 yards many times and when we'd have stats like   Stegall, Armstrong and Edwards all well over 75 each in a game.  

It just seems so weird that literally nobody on our team is excelling  (outside of our d-line) and we are so far down the list in each of the stats columns.   

I can't imagine really anyone on the team making All Star aside from the d-line guys.

It's just disheartening because even someone like my dad who isn't the biggest fan but he definitely has supported the team over the last 20+ years has told me that he'd rather I take him to a Goldeyes game then to a Blue game because he doesn't want to get pissed off and spend money on a **** team.     

It's not even so much that people just are fairweather wanting to watch winning football teams fans... it's more like people (like him) are so angry and disgusted with the team that going to the game makes them angry rather then excited.  

it's F'd up ,  I think the only other time I seen stuff like this was when I had season tickets during the Reinbold years.   

It sucks having such a poor team but it sucks even more that everyone knows how to fix it but it's just not happening.

We've all been saying it for years now.  A QB, a couple good OL, and an experienced OC.  Over the last few years, we've seen Ray, Burris, and Glenn change teams.  We've seen Saskatchewan, Calgary, and Toronto completely rebuild their offensive lines.  We've seen Saskatchewan pick up George Cortez to fix their offence, and Toronto get Scott Milanovich for theirs.

How come the Bombers have not made a single big move to fix their glaring weaknesses when everyone and their dog recognizes what those weaknesses are?  Why such a lack of action?  In 2010 we started building with a mandate to build through the draft and establish continuity.  Well we've certainly done that, and all it has given us is losses.

I'll never stop being a fan (unless they hire Tillman), but it's just so disheartening.

It sucks having such a poor team but it sucks even more that everyone knows how to fix it but it's just not happening.

We've all been saying it for years now.  A QB, a couple good OL, and an experienced OC.  Over the last few years, we've seen Ray, Burris, and Glenn change teams.  We've seen Saskatchewan, Calgary, and Toronto completely rebuild their offensive lines.  We've seen Saskatchewan pick up George Cortez to fix their offence, and Toronto get Scott Milanovich for theirs.

How come the Bombers have not made a single big move to fix their glaring weaknesses when everyone and their dog recognizes what those weaknesses are?  Why such a lack of action?  In 2010 we started building with a mandate to build through the draft and establish continuity.  Well we've certainly done that, and all it has given us is losses.

I'll never stop being a fan (unless they hire Tillman), but it's just so disheartening.

I have to say, if they hired Tillman Id have to switch over to Calgary or the Lions.

I just don't understand how the offense can be that lack lustre. I was never as anti Crowton as all that, but after last nights games I might have to join those ranks. Entirely too committed to the run game I think. Just coming out and saying "we will get Simpson the ball more" doesn't work, you can't do that unless you significantly change the gameplan because teams know it's coming. It became too predictable. Seemed like they didn't even try and force things down the field at all either, and when you've been sitting there handing off and throwing short all game at some point you gotta take a shot, you've basically set up the defense to do that. Just not acceptable at all. Unfortunately I don't think there's anyone else on the staff who could be capable of actually calling an offense. 

The answer to the question is complex.  But I will say this.  I am now less emotionally involved with the team.  I don't feel the same kind of rage or sadness with losses as I used to.  Obviously, some of that is just growing up and changing life circumstances but some of it is a certain ennui setting in.  But that's happneed before and as soon as I get a whiff of possibility around the team I will be all in emotionally once again. 

Don't feel bad guys, I know you think some of us are too critical of the team but, we have been around a lot longer than some of you and have seen good Bomber teams and very bad ones. We criticize because we have seen this movie before and know how it will end. They need to hit rock bottom first before any real change is going to occur, and yes that means starting with the architect of this pile of dung, Joe Mack. Believe your eyes is what I always say.

you know what part of the issue is? In years past even if the team sucked you knew that you could always count on a guy like MIlt Stegall to do something to get you out of your seat. Don't have a guy like that anymore. Edwards used to be able to be a very very poor mans version but he's no spring chicken himself and not really able to be that guy anymore and none of the young guys have stepped up. Had hopes Denmark could become something but he seemed to stagnate, Matthews is have a really inconsistent year so far. Simpson can't do it all on his own when the passing game is such a let down. 

The answer to the question is complex.  But I will say this.  I am now less emotionally involved with the team.  I don't feel the same kind of rage or sadness with losses as I used to.  Obviously, some of that is just growing up and changing life circumstances but some of it is a certain ennui setting in.  But that's happneed before and as soon as I get a whiff of possibility around the team I will be all in emotionally once again. 

It's apathy .. and I know it's setting in for a lot of people .. it's really hard to rally around the team when there's constant futility (at least on one side of the ball) .. it's also why something like Swaggerville blew up like it did .. it was exciting .. the guys were making plays and winning us games .. people WANT something to get behind but for the most part people simply expect a "meh" performance.

It's apathy .. and I know it's setting in for a lot of people .. it's really hard to rally around the team when there's constant futility (at least on one side of the ball) .. it's also why something like Swaggerville blew up like it did .. it was exciting .. the guys were making plays and winning us games .. people WANT something to get behind but for the most part people simply expect a "meh" performance.

you can definitely tell that the new stadium is just itching for a chance to blow up over something. It's all bubbling under the surface and as soon as there's some excitement that place is going to be crazy. 

you can definitely tell that the new stadium is just itching for a chance to blow up over something. It's all bubbling under the surface and as soon as there's some excitement that place is going to be crazy. 

I absolutely agree with you.

Being at the games .. you can tell people WANT to cheer .. they WANT to explode .. they WANT to rally behind something exciting .. part of it is new digs .. part of it is needing something to believe in .. unfortunately, it's going to take a drastic improvement offensively .. I don't see that happening in the short term.

Caring less and less, going to fewer and fewer games.   From going to every single game five years ago to only 1 this year.  Banjo Bowl, only because I do not want to miss one.  Saving some $$$$$$ though. 

I tune in to watch Goltz, that's about it.

No one cares.

Kid, you have a lot to learn about the proud history of this team.

My dad bought me this book when I was 9 (it was 1980 and on the shelves at the grocery store in Victoria Beach).  Changed my life forever, as ever after I have been Blue and Gold through and through.

http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-art-collectibles-A-HISTORY-OF-THE-BLUE-BOMBERS-by-Vince-Leah-W0QQAdIdZ464716319

Read it.  Love it.

I find I have hope at the beginning of the game, but usually by the end of the first quarter I just want the game to end. If we're down by a TD+ I have zero faith the team can come back. If we're up by a TD+ I have zero faith they guys can hold the lead. It blows considering it was not that many years ago, we were always in it to the very bitter end. I long for the days we'd throw up 40+ points a game and be man handling the opposition.

I find I have hope at the beginning of the game, but usually by the end of the first quarter I just want the game to end. If we're down by a TD+ I have zero faith the team can come back. If we're up by a TD+ I have zero faith they guys can hold the lead. It blows considering it was not that many years ago, we were always in it to the very bitter end. I long for the days we'd throw up 40+ points a game and be man handling the opposition.

in fairness though, how many teams are doing this now - re 40+ points a game and totally dominating?  Saskatchewan looks good these days but with league parity now a lot higher, there isn't going to be many games like this for anyone anymore.  That being said, it sure would be nice if we could actually play in the second half.  I am tired of watching this team put up a fight in the first half and then get bent over in the second half, especially on offence. 

Had hopes Denmark could become something but he seemed to stagnate, Matthews is have a really inconsistent year so far. Simpson can't do it all on his own when the passing game is such a let down. 

I really don't like how these guys are being used (they've become non-factors) We flat out don't attack teams with speed and size...we approach at ten yards and let them make plays.

Crowton has really got to get it......quickly....Use all your weapons!!