Has Your Attitude Changed In The Last 5 Years?

Brandon

My dad bought me this book when I was 9 (it was 1980 and on the shelves at the grocery store in Victoria Beach).  Changed my life forever, as ever after I have been Blue and Gold through and through.

http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-art-collectibles-A-HISTORY-OF-THE-BLUE-BOMBERS-by-Vince-Leah-W0QQAdIdZ464716319

Read it.  Love it.

Irving's book he did back around 2005 is pretty solid as well. I try to read that every couple years. Also, nice Victoria Beach mention...we've been owners down there since about 1925.

I really don't like how these guys are being used (they've become non-factors) We flat out don't attack teams with speed and size...we approach at ten yards and let them make plays.

Crowton has really got to get it......quickly....Use all your weapons!!

That look on Burke's face when he had to call a timeout when old man Crowton couldn't get his crap together on the 2nd and inches play said it all to me.  The loud F___K!! that Burke yelled as he threw down his headphones said even more.  I don't think grandpa Crowton is around anymore as soon as tomorrow.

That look on Burke's face when he had to call a timeout when old man Crowton couldn't get his crap together on the 2nd and inches play said it all to me.  The loud F___K!! that Burke yelled as he threw down his headphones said even more.  I don't think grandpa Crowton is around anymore as soon as tomorrow.

I think that the Bombers are hurting from paying coaches that are no longer working here. If anything, I think Mack will have a short leash with regards to the hiring and firing of coaches. Im not sure how much the powers at be are willing to let him make big decisions about the future of the club at this point. We might have a lame duck Gm at this point.....

Just how great is the percentage of fans who would welcome that news if they actually had something in mind?

bth_crossed-fingers_BWBW1273.jpg

Yup and if he doesn't have the power to show Crowton the door then what's the point of even having a HC. That's why I'm all for giving the 'next guy' the full power of GM/HC roles and make no mistake of who's in charge.

Mack, who's decision have been nothing short of disasters, has too much say in the on field product imo.

What bothers me almost as much as the loss was Tim Burke's peppy & feel good interview after the game. He sounded giddish saying it was a good effort on the field. That all 3 phases of the game  were better & he was happy with his offense. He asked the fans  for patience. He called the team "Dynamic" & vowed it would do special things once the winning started. And he & Justin Goltz in another interview mentioned the Bombers were, "On the Cusp" 7 or 8 times. Most out of touch interview I think I ever heard a coach make in all the years I've watched sports & I'm not exaggerating when I say that. We're in even more trouble than I thought & for the first time now I believe Tim Burke has got to go.

What bothers me almost as much as the loss was Tim Burke's peppy & feel good interview after the game. He sounded giddish saying it was a good effort on the field. That all 3 phases of the game  were better & he was happy with his offense. He asked the fans  for patience. He called the team "Dynamic" & vowed it would do special things once the winning started. And he & Justin Goltz in another interview mentioned the Bombers were, "On the Cusp" 7 or 8 times. Most out of touch interview I think I ever heard a coach make in all the years I've watched sports & I'm not exaggerating when I say that. We're in even more trouble than I thought & for the first time now I believe Tim Burke has got to go.

I think you're over reacting to what he said. I heard it after the game too and thought to myself "wow I certainly woulda been a lot more angry than he was..." but then I stopped and thought that maybe it's for the best. He's showing patience in a young qb and trying to stay positive which is maybe what the team needs right now. Gotta trust that he knows the pulse of the team and what they need to hear at this point right? what he says immediately after the game is probably less relevant than what he'll say after watching the tape right? I woulda liked to see him be less dismissive of the offense disappearing in the 2nd half but over all I kinda liked what he said if that makes any sense at all. 

The message aside, I'm sure the 'peppyness' was overcompensation for the true feelings he had (somewhere between anger and outright fury I wager). No point going all Jim Mora only 1/3 of the way through the season.

I think you're over reacting to what he said. I heard it after the game too and thought to myself "wow I certainly woulda been a lot more angry than he was..." but then I stopped and thought that maybe it's for the best. He's showing patience in a young qb and trying to stay positive which is maybe what the team needs right now. Gotta trust that he knows the pulse of the team and what they need to hear at this point right? what he says immediately after the game is probably less relevant than what he'll say after watching the tape right? I woulda liked to see him be less dismissive of the offense disappearing in the 2nd half but over all I kinda liked what he said if that makes any sense at all. 

To me, it is a coach who is running out of ideas. He's already tried the disciplined approach. He's tried the angry approach. He benched Pierce to send a message & that hasn't worked. Now, the fatherly approach seems to be the flavour of the week. He doesn't know how to fix this mess.

To me, it is a coach who is running out of ideas. He's already tried the disciplined approach. He's tried the angry approach. He benched Pierce to send a message & that hasn't worked. Now, the fatherly approach seems to be the flavour of the week. He doesn't know how to fix this mess.

And what precisely is blasting a QB with exactly two career starts under his belt going to do aside from destroy his confidence?  We already saw Goltz's nerves come up during the game .. let's put more pressure on the guy to perform.  In all honesty, Burke was quite candid (with both the pros and cons) and very even keeled in his assessment of the game.  He's also right in that a few more plays on the offensive side of the ball .. this could have been a much different game than it was.

There are going to be growing pains .. and ANYONE who thought Goltz would come in and shoot the lights out was sadly mistaken .. guys have to learn to win .. learn how to play through adversity .. learn to play together.  For Goltz, it's learning to battle (and keep things level) when things aren't going his way .. a guy has to be allowed to make mistakes .. so that he can develop.

See I don't think Pierce was benched to send a message at all, to me it was him coming to a realization that he couldn't carry on with Pierce as his starting qb and as of 2 weeks ago they were basically starting at square one offensively again since the protect Pierce package was such an epic failure. I actually think his positivity is actually an indication that maybe he does have a clue how to fix things it's just taking a while to get there. I would honestly expect to see some changes in the receiving corps next week because of how he put a lot of blame on them for the lack of offense in the 2nd half. But really once you get your head around the idea that we hit the re-set button on the offense when they made the switch to Goltz it's easier to see why the coach would look at things positively and talk about progress and being on the cusp. We as fans though don't generally care about that, we see 1-5 and the offense is still bad and want answers. 

And what precisely is blasting a QB with exactly two career starts under his belt going to do aside from destroy his confidence?  We already saw Goltz's nerves come up during the game .. let's put more pressure on the guy to perform.  In all honesty, Burke was quite candid (with both the pros and cons) and very even keeled in his assessment of the game.  He's also right in that a few more plays on the offensive side of the ball .. this could have been a much different game than it was.

There are going to be growing pains .. and ANYONE who thought Goltz would come in and shoot the lights out was sadly mistaken .. guys have to learn to win .. learn how to play through adversity .. learn to play together.  For Goltz, it's learning to battle (and keep things level) when things aren't going his way .. a guy has to be allowed to make mistakes .. so that he can develop.

Never said he had to blast Goltz. But he said other strange things like he was happy with all 3 phases of the game. That the team was dynamic. That they were on the cusp of ... of.... something. I have no frigging clue what? Burke is lost in an alternate reality if he's happy after that loss. Blast Goltz?  He's the least of their problems. I don't want a coach happy, giddy or satisfied after a loss.

I thought the game turned on that horseshit call against Anderson with his tackle of Lulay.  My inlaws were all howling at his tackle, and I said "what did you want him to do - give Lulay a hug and ask him about his feelings?"  Good grief that was a terrible call.  We stop BC there and they don't get their first TD.  Lulay wouldn't have gotten in a rhythm.  Terrible freaking call.

I thought the game turned on that horseshit call against Anderson with his tackle of Lulay.  My inlaws were all howling at his tackle, and I said "what did you want him to do - give Lulay a hug and ask him about his feelings?"  Good grief that was a terrible call.  We stop BC there and they don't get their first TD.  Lulay wouldn't have gotten in a rhythm.  Terrible freaking call.

Which call was that?

they called anderson for roughing or whatever it was when he tackled Lulay high around the shoulders. Obviously the refs thought it was in the head but the replay looked like it was a good tackle. 

it was a terrible call - if the refs let it go then BC has to punt.  Instead they get 7 points.  Horseshit.

You  read it and replied.  It shows you care, a lot! 

two ways you could have taken that post, rg. perhaps he was saying that he doesn't care about the plight of the team (like the theme of this thread being that fans are starting to stop caring) and not about you or your opinion.

i'm well past the Schadenfreude stage with the state of the Blue Bombers. it's getting to a sad place and the fact is that i don't see a fix that doesn't include dynamiting most of the people who are decision makers for your club.

i remember all of those years of Bomber teams that, while sometimes they weren't a top-level GC contender, they always had guys on the team who were worth watching play and were the backbone of the roster. the type of player that not only would you gladly pay to watch, but if you were rebuilding the team next year, you didn't have to worry about their positions because they were locked-in. i'm talking about Stegall and Brown level guys... or even the next tier of Roberts or Simpson players. players that other GMs wish they had.

right now the roster is nigh bereft of players in that category. there's maybe one blue-chip NI and maybe, maybe two top level imports. that won't cut it on any team and it's the biggest reason why the Bombers are again in last. 

only one man can take ownership of that. period full stop.

Buchko, inexperienced sports exec though he may be, had an instinct last off season to bring in another manager to hedge the team's bets. it's a shame he got persuaded not to do it. because whether or not Forde was the right guy (or will ever be a top CFL exec), at least he'd have been an option. another football mind to talk to Buchko and help him find the next GM. options are good things. and that $200k seems like a small fee to have another way to go right now to me.

i thought the game hinged on the mystery flag on Marsh. it may not have been close in the 2nd half but for that.

i thought the game hinged on the mystery flag on Marsh. it may not have been close in the 2nd half but for that.

LOL I knew a troll would throw that out there as some kind of comparative, which it isn't.  The call was supposed be on 91 or 94 for hitting Goltz out of bounds.  I agree it was pretty weak but so was the roughing call on Wild. 

LOL I knew a troll would throw that out there as some kind of comparative, which it isn't.  The call was supposed be on 91 or 94 for hitting Goltz out of bounds.  I agree it was pretty weak but so was the roughing call on Wild. 

i had them as equivalently smelly. they both were bad calls that set up TDs that shouldn't have been. but it's all a matter of perspective.

Bluto, not convinced that Duane Forde can do the job. Other than an analyst on TSN & an expert on Canadian born players in the CIS & NCAA, his background is a high school teacher. To my knowledge, he has no coaching or scouting contacts in the US. So if hired, we'd have a guy in Forde who'd be a great personnel guy running the team as GM with even less contacts than the guy we have now. How will that help us??? 

If Forde wants to eventually become a GM  then let him do what everybody else does, get a front office scouting job, get paid to be a grunt doing reports, player evaluations, scouting college games, running free agent camps & do what Jim Barker did for years, take the entire month of August & visit almost every NFL training camp as well as NCAA school that he can. Somehow, I don't think he is willing to get his hands down & dirty. Sounds like  he just wants a GM job handed to him. That's  the last kind of guy I want running this team. Someone who thinks he's entitled.

The last thing I want is some guy coming down from the TSN booth being paid $200 grand thinking he knows everything when he doesn't when I or any one of us could do the same job he could for a lot less. We need to go in a different direction with an experienced GM like Tom Higgins.

Bluto, not convinced that Duane Forde can do the job. Other than an analyst on TSN & an expert on Canadian born players in the CIS & NCAA, his background is a high school teacher. To my knowledge, he has no coaching or scouting contacts in the US. So if hired,we'd have a guy in Forde who'd be a great personnel guy running the team as GM with even less contacts than the guy we have now. How will that help us??? 

If Forde wants to become a GM  then let him do what everybody else does, get a front office scouting job, get paid to be a grunt & scouting college games, practices & do what Jim Barker did for years, take the entire month of August & visit almost every NFL training camp he can. The last thing I want is some guy coming down from the TSN booth being paid $200 grand thinking he knows everything when he doesn't when I or any one of us could do the same job he could for a lot less.

We need to go in a different direction with an experienced GM like Tom Higgins.

i know what you're saying Al and i definitely see Higgins as a quality hire. but i don't get how people think that a guy with as many contacts in football as Forde has would somehow not know a single soul south of the border... or that the Bombers don't already have a pretty good guy doing the scouting down their already to work with Forde. i think people sell him short.

Bluto, not convinced that Duane Forde can do the job. Other than an analyst on TSN & an expert on Canadian born players in the CIS & NCAA, his background is a high school teacher. To my knowledge, he has no coaching or scouting contacts in the US. So if hired, we'd have a guy in Forde who'd be a great personnel guy running the team as GM with even less contacts than the guy we have now. How will that help us??? 

If Forde wants to eventually become a GM  then let him do what everybody else does, get a front office scouting job, get paid to be a grunt doing reports, player evaluations, scouting college games, running free agent camps & do what Jim Barker did for years, take the entire month of August & visit almost every NFL training camp as well as NCAA school that he can. Somehow, I don't think he is willing to get his hands down & dirty. Sounds like  he just wants a GM job handed to him. That's  the last kind of guy I want running this team. Someone who thinks he's entitled.

I do not want some guy coming down from the TSN booth being paid $200 grand thinking he knows everything when he doesn't when I or any one of us could do the same job he could for a lot less. We need to go in a different direction with an experienced GM like Tom Higgins.