GDT: Ottawa @ Winnipeg

Rich

can someone explain to me why at the end of the first half when ottawa took a time count, it was loss of downs but at the end of the game it wasn't a loss of downs?

I wondered that too. But I assume you can't lose possession on a time count? At the end of the game it was 3rd down so they had no down to lose.

I guess that makes sense. Was really odd actually. Pretty strangely reffed game, some of the calls on both teams were pretty iffy actually, especially some of the unneccesary roughness calls, i mean c'mon, the one on johnson i beleive (bruce), that was prettty weak, yeah i admit it he gave him a little love tap when he was out of bounds but c'mon, that's a pretty brutal call. Not arguing the call, he did push him but... barely touched him at all. Not like he plowed in to him or anything.

can someone explain to me why at the end of the first half when ottawa took a time count, it was loss of downs but at the end of the game it wasn't a loss of downs?

I wondered that too. But I assume you can't lose possession on a time count? At the end of the game it was 3rd down so they had no down to lose.

You're right. From the rule book:

Note: After the three-minute warning has been given in a half the penalty shall be 12D – LD, 3D – L10 DR. 

I guess that makes sense. Was really odd actually. Pretty strangely reffed game, some of the calls on both teams were pretty iffy actually, especially some of the unneccesary roughness calls, i mean c'mon, the one on johnson i beleive (bruce), that was prettty weak, yeah i admit it he gave him a little love tap when he was out of bounds but c'mon, that's a pretty brutal call. Not arguing the call, he did push him but... barely touched him at all. Not like he plowed in to him or anything.

It sure seems like you're arguing the call.

You're right. From the rule book:

Note: After the three-minute warning has been given in a half the penalty shall be 12D – LD, 3D – L10 DR. 

It sure seems like you're arguing the call.

not really, just thought it was a weak call, not arguing it at all, even admitted he pushed him out of bounds just don't think that type of call is made every game. I mean seriously man he gave him a love tap. I guess if there was reason to argue it, that would be, i watched several games last week and saw that happen more than once and it wasn't called. Just would like some consistency. Think by definition it was late hit but... like i said, it's not like he nailed him, hell he barely touched him.

Anyway though, don't care that much, was just pointing out that there was some pretty iffy calls on both teams, nice to see the refs be consistent that way but again, they could have let some go. Let them play football at times. If pushing and shoving happen, whatever. It's part of the game really, Unless something is ridiculous and a guy late hits or cheap shots another guy, let them play is all i'm saying and if you do call it, well, now i expect that to be called in other games too. Conistency is important. You can't have one ref call that one week and one not call it next week or the next game this week even. 

At one point, part of me sure was starting to think "man, they really want Ottawa to win" with all those penalties. Not so much the calls against us, they were legitimate, but the calls that were being missed on Ottawa ...

I have no problem with the TSN broadcast hyping Ottawa last night. The return of Ottawa to the CFL is a big deal and with a competitive team is good news for all. More teams means a higher profile and who knows- could lead to a 10th team. Toronto is still an ongoing pain in the butt, but the league is in the best shape its been in for decades. And on top of all that, the Bombers had a "character win" against a scrappy team.

At one point, part of me sure was starting to think "man, they really want Ottawa to win" with all those penalties. Not so much the calls against us, they were legitimate, but the calls that were being missed on Ottawa ...

the one call where they flagged the bomber for pushing the player out of bounds there was a blatant hold not called on the bombers DE, really pissed me off there and I did start to get the feeling too that the refs were being a bit more lenient towards the newbies. It's important they're competitive don't ya know. 

Couple of DWs help the Bombers put d' W last night.

Drew Willy - he's playing like a season vet QB out there. he's calm and collective and didnt show any panic, even after trailing for most of the game last night and after losing his protection on the left side of the OL. Hard earned win but it's sweeter than the first one.

Demond Washington - I like his play on Defense but I like the surprises he can on special team better. A sure candidate for the ST Player of the Week this week.

Also a good half time adjustment by both MarcelB and Etch.

Good play by the unsung heros of this team - Sherman and Thomas.

Overall a great team effort. Monreal here we come!

The call that annoyed me the most was the PI on Johnny Sears. Granted, looking at the replay of the call last night it was the right call as Sears was there early but that being said official #50 who was literally 5 yards away and had the best vantage point did not make the call. The official way deep in the secondary made the call 20 yards back but given his position at Sears' and the receiver's back there is no way he could tell where the ball was at the time of contact.

Greaves, January and Willy all hurt....January came back and Willy took a lot of drugs (according to him, on TSN after the game) to numb his hand so he could throw. Goosen came in to play Guard for Greaves, and Jake Thomas lined up at TE to beef up blocking without Greaves in there...

Yeesh =/.  I heard that interview with Willy and really didn't sound promising.  Really hope nothing is broken...

Sounded like "Zac Thompson" (according to Westwood this morning... was sure he meant Jake Thomas but the guy's a nutbar so... thanks for confirming) was not great in relief of January - or is it another sign January is just that good? 

If Greaves can't go next week, does Swiston draws in at LG? or should we pickup a  guy like Peach from the Cgy's PR?

Bucknor played well, and lead the team in tackles (7) last night. Obviously, he's being picked on. Maybe rotating Bucknor and Alexander help strengthen that corner a bit ?

I'm hoping Willy's hand is OK.

If Greaves can't go next week, does Swiston draws in at LG? or should we pickup a  guy like Peach from the Cgy's PR?

Would be a huge stretch for Peach to draw in LG on a new team, even if we do acquire him tomorrow/Sunday.  OL's need time together to gel.  That's probably either Swiston or Goossen's start if Greaves misses time.