The TV Thread

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So I think we're through 7 episodes now (Richie interns at the fancy restaurant), but holy **** episode 6 with all the guest stars. I thought I'd seen the best episode of TV I'd ever seen earlier this year with the Logan's Dead episode of Succession...... I think we have a new winner with The Bear S2 E6...... that was insanity. I was watching at least one person win an Emmy "in real time" last night........ truly incredible. That episode was a clinic....

I'm waiting to hear if and when they get a season 3 but with the strike who knows when we will see it. S2 E6 was an instant classic

On 2023-08-01 at 9:49 AM, Wideleft said:

Just finished Season One - way above average and binge-worthy. 

Bonus that's it's set in Navajo country around Monument Valley which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.  A definite bucket list destination that's only 2 hours from another bucket list destination - Lower Antelope Canyon.

30k+ Monument Valley Pictures | Download Free Images on Unsplash

7 Best Antelope Canyon Tours (Upper, Lower and X)

Where can I find this show?

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

So I think we're through 7 episodes now (Richie interns at the fancy restaurant), but holy **** episode 6 with all the guest stars. I thought I'd seen the best episode of TV I'd ever seen earlier this year with the Logan's Dead episode of Succession...... I think we have a new winner with The Bear S2 E6...... that was insanity. I was watching at least one person win an Emmy "in real time" last night........ truly incredible. That episode was a clinic....

I mentioned that episode up thread. I felt exhausted after watching it.

33 minutes ago, Sard said:

Started watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Prime recently... just got through the first season and it's fantastic.  Very witty and fast paced... the characters are all very well done.

I've been meaning to get into that. I'm a fan of stand-up comedy in general, and have some family members that are in that line of work..... it's on the list, for sure. 

You know it's funny, I did say after seeing the Barbie movie that I would like to see Ruth  Handler get a biopic, I guess this will have to do somehow

https://deadline.com/2023/08/barbie-bratz-you-dont-own-me-tv-series-cbs-studios-1235530390/

There's also an interesting Docuseries about the My Scene dolls on the Have You Heard? Youtube account

Edited by iHeart

BET is gone too? something stinks at Viacom and now I'm wondering if Nickelodeon will be next on the chopping block or if YTV will rebrand as Nick any time soon (PJ's are all gone once again my inner 90s kid cries itself to sleep wondering how much more is going to go away) well I know YTV isn't going anywhere any time soon as Corus announced it's plans for the Fall and YTV is picking up the Big Nate animated series, not to mention finishing up the Hardy Boys airing new Popularity Papers and CN Canada (finally) has an airdate for the Total Drama reboot

Edited by iHeart

First 2 episodes of the third and last season of Reservation Dogs has dropped on Star/Disney Plus.  Lots of Dallas Goldtooth (the Spirit Warrior) and the second episode is just beautifully written with a surprise guest star.

So freaking good...

giphy.gif

Edited by Wideleft

31 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

First 2 episodes of the third and last season of Reservation Dogs has dropped on Star/Disney Plus.  Lots of Dallas Goldtooth (the Spirit Warrior) and the second episode is just beautifully written with a surprise guest star.

So freaking good...

giphy.gif

finally watched a trailer for S1... I didn't know exactly what this show was, despite having heard lots about it. I was intrigued by the trailer... it almost reminds me of Letterkenny if they focused on the indigenous characters and the so-called "skids". Seems interesting. I'll give it a run for sure, but I'm curious what my indig music friends think of this. I'm always curious if something like this is accurate or if it's a white-washed version of something. Hopefully it's a fully indig production from concept to creation...

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

finally watched a trailer for S1... I didn't know exactly what this show was, despite having heard lots about it. I was intrigued by the trailer... it almost reminds me of Letterkenny if they focused on the indigenous characters and the so-called "skids". Seems interesting. I'll give it a run for sure, but I'm curious what my indig music friends think of this. I'm always curious if something like this is accurate or if it's a white-washed version of something. Hopefully it's a fully indig production from concept to creation...

Written, produced and acted by First Nations.  Way, way deeper than Letterkenny, but often as hilarious.

Sterlin Harjo is legit.

When I was making “Reservation Dogs,” I knew that people would like it, but I didn’t know it was going to be so popular. The only thing that I can chalk it up to is having the room to fail and not be afraid of failing throughout my career, and there was the frustration of not getting films distributed. Then I had the opportunity to do a show. I looked around and said we had to swing for the fences. It was a combination of that and FX giving us the room to do that and to let me tell it with Indigenous writers. We could tell the story we wanted to tell. We could really go for it and it allow us to make something beautiful.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/reservation-dogs-sterlin-harjo-native-american-heritage-month-1235122541/

5 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Written, produced and acted by First Nations.  Way, way deeper than Letterkenny, but often as hilarious.

Sterlin Harjo is legit.

When I was making “Reservation Dogs,” I knew that people would like it, but I didn’t know it was going to be so popular. The only thing that I can chalk it up to is having the room to fail and not be afraid of failing throughout my career, and there was the frustration of not getting films distributed. Then I had the opportunity to do a show. I looked around and said we had to swing for the fences. It was a combination of that and FX giving us the room to do that and to let me tell it with Indigenous writers. We could tell the story we wanted to tell. We could really go for it and it allow us to make something beautiful.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/reservation-dogs-sterlin-harjo-native-american-heritage-month-1235122541/

excellent - that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm super twitchy about that sort of thing now. Love that FX is giving them a platform to tell their own stories. About Goddamned time. 

Untold: Johnny Football, an interesting documentary about Johnny Manziel, it fills in a lot of his backstory and explains pretty clearly why he came off the rails, to the point he attempted suicide.  He was a simple kid from a small town, much like Elvis.  Too much, too fast, too young, celebrity culture creates ridiculous icons that would be impossible for anyone to live up to.