Ryan Lucas torn ACL done for the season

Jpan85

Random thoughts:

There's just something about O'Shea that'll make players want to run through a wall for the guy.  Listening to him I think he could get me to, as well.

Season enders in TC (and really, ever) is the absolute worst.  Feel bad for Lucas.

Managing the ratio is going to be a helluva challenge this year.

I feel bad for Ryan Lucas.

Re. ratio-adjustment would be:

1. If Goossen is ready good to go on the C, it would be a lot easier, Morley will just slide in the RG as we play 4-NI on the OL.

2. If Goossen is not, then probably a rotation of this tandems DT Thomas/DE Tate and DT Anderson/DE Richardson

3. Worse comes to worse, we play 2 NI's at the secondary on S (Alexander) and field-side CB (Bucknor)

We already are in big trouble!  We were in big trouble before any injuries happened...  Watson (as much as I love him) has proven to be completely unreliable in terms of health.  And now the team with the least amount of CDN talent gets worse.  I see that Etienne Legare is still a FA.  Wouldn't he be a decent fill in for this year if we cannot get anyone else??  Or take a chance on Forzani.  he has to be better than one of our other guys...isn't he?  And that ain't saying much. 

We are going to be lucky to win 6 games

We already are in big trouble!  We were in big trouble before any injuries happened...  Watson (as much as I love him) has proven to be completely unreliable in terms of health.  And now the team with the least amount of CDN talent gets worse.  I see that Etienne Legare is still a FA.  Wouldn't he be a decent fill in for this year if we cannot get anyone else??  Or take a chance on Forzani.  he has to be better than one of our other guys...isn't he?  And that ain't saying much. 

So basically Ryan Lucas was going to be our MVP this season.

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk

Ryan Lucas is done for the year with a torn ACL. Mike O'Shea started tearing up when talking about it. #Bombers

I love O'Shea. His players are going to go to absolute war for him.

Tap the breaks. Similar things said about Burke before he became HC too.

So basically Ryan Lucas was going to be our MVP this season.

They had already started engraving his name on the trophy.

Drama club is out for summer.

The Bombers will improve their team this year.  They will find enough talented import players who will make us better.  They will pick up some NI players who will make us better.  NI's make up half the team.  Upgrading that part to contender status will take more than one season.  This was true a month ago, long before Lucas got hurt, long before the draft.

We won't be lucky to win 6 games this year, we will be good enough to win 6 games this year in a much tougher division.  Maybe 7.  Maybe 8.

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk

Ryan Lucas is done for the year with a torn ACL. Mike O'Shea started tearing up when talking about it. #Bombers

Nope, I don't recall anyone saying that about Burke.  There was optimism that as a premier coordinator he would become a great head coach, but in terms of his personality he was more likely to be mistaken for Tom Higgins.

Personally I was more annoyed that they gave him the job after a half season as interim coach rather than including him in a full coaching search in the offseason.  It was a repeat of the same mistake they made with Jim Daley.  Learn from your mistakes.  Essentially it's a lazy easy decision.

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk

You'd think someone who is from ontario would know the kinda zealot inspiring type of leader o'shea is..

So makes me think A) strong dislike for a guy who caused problems for the kitties for so long or

B) jealous hes coaching for the bombers..

Guess C) trollin is possible too..

Good point, why even bother showing up? Quick, someone email Wade Miller now to let him know we can just sit out 2014 to make it a nice even 8-team league again...  :rolleyes:

Good point, why even bother showing up? Quick, someone email Wade Miller now to let him know we can just sit out 2014 to make it a nice even 8-team league again...  :rolleyes:

One way to package it, if we do indeed win 6 games this year, we just doubled our wins from last year's record.

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk

My educated guess in observing O'Shea's approach with his players is he'll find it extremely difficullt to cut/demote a loyal, hard working, high effort player who just isn't performing to the level needed. I've always said this was one of Jeff Reinbolds biggest achilles heals that did him in as a Head Coach. 

when did the bombers say lucas was going to be starting? they didn't. why do we assume he was going to be? for all we know, he would have been cut.

Yeah our non import depth is an issue but lets not assume that a guy like lucas would have been starting cuz its just as likely that he wouldnt be.

we know and all knew about our non import depth issues a while ago, there is only so much you can do in one off season, the free agents weren't out there, gonna take a year or 2 or 3 to get to the point we want to be canadian depth wise.

when did the bombers say lucas was going to be starting? they didn't. why do we assume he was going to be? for all we know, he would have been cut.

Yeah our non import depth is an issue but lets not assume that a guy like lucas would have been starting cuz its just as likely that he wouldnt be.

we know and all knew about our non import depth issues a while ago, there is only so much you can do in one off season, the free agents weren't out there, gonna take a year or 2 or 3 to get to the point we want to be canadian depth wise.

Lucas and Thomas were inked in as one of the 7 starting NI's.  It's not likely at all that Lucas was getting cut.  

Our NI starters took a hit when Lucas tore his ACL and we need to find another NI DT to rotate with Thomas if we still plan to use an NI at DT.  It's much more likely IMHO that we will be forced to use 4 NI O lineman which is a shame because January and Jones were our two best O lineman last year and we won't be able to start both of them this year.

Lucas and Thomas were inked in as one of the 7 starting NI's.  It's not likely at all that Lucas was getting cut.  

Our NI starters took a hit when Lucas tore his ACL and we need to find another NI DT to rotate with Thomas if we still plan to use an NI at DT.  It's much more likely IMHO that we will be forced to use 4 NI O lineman which is a shame because January and Jones were our two best O lineman last year and we won't be able to start both of them this year.

No they weren't. I didn't hear anybody say that. You are speculating all the way out there in BC again. You are assuming that was the case but... you have no facts to back what you are saying up. That's your opinion. That's all it is, stop pretending like your opinion is always what the bombers are going to do. Speculation at best. What was actually rumoured was a non import field corner and safety. Never did hear anything about lucas or thomas. Not once, maybe from a couple of you on this board here but walters in the past mentioned field corner and safety as 2 likely spots. 

No they weren't. I didn't hear anybody say that. You are speculating all the way out there in BC again. You are assuming that was the case but... you have no facts to back what you are saying up. That's your opinion. That's all it is, stop pretending like your opinion is always what the bombers are going to do. Speculation at best. What was actually rumoured was a non import field corner and safety. Never did hear anything about lucas or thomas. Not once, maybe from a couple of you on this board here but walters in the past mentioned field corner and safety as 2 likely spots. 

I'm of the impression Walters implied a field corner OR a safety.

There are a couple of ways it can be handled and Lucas, Thomas and another couple of guys somewhere in the back 8 splitting the reps was a distinct possibility.  In my opinion.  It remains a possibility, but the 15 snaps a game or so that Lucas was going to get now have to go somewhere else.  If they can't find a favourable way to allocate those snaps to a NI, the possibility of going 4 NI Oline or 2 NI secondary gets bolstered.

You must not have had your 'listening' ear on then.

You're the only one who's even suggested that Lucas may have been cut, yet you call me out for speculation?   :D

The only difference between being in Winnipeg and out here in BC is that I can't go to practices, which doesn't matter in this conversation. 

According to reports, Safety has been an import spot pretty much the entire TC.  

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk

My educated guess in observing O'Shea's approach with his players is he'll find it extremely difficullt to cut/demote a loyal, hard working, high effort player who just isn't performing to the level needed. I've always said this was one of Jeff Reinbolds biggest achilles heals that did him in as a Head Coach. 

I found his biggest achiles heal  was being a head coach.

Walters never once said that safety and field corner would be the likely NI spots on defence. Bob Irving specifically said last night that the Bombers were looking at Ryan Lucas as a potential starter this year and they were very impressed with the shape he was in when he reported to camp. The fact that he was listed as a starter on the depth chart is not a mistake or coincidence. It is utterly obvious to anyone paying attention that the Bombers wanted one DT to be a Canadian spot. Believing otherwise is just being in denial.