Ryan Lucas torn ACL done for the season

Jpan85

Edit: Just read this... http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/06/05/bombers-scarily-thin-on-canadian-talent

Three import OL considered... now I am sure Pencer is either pissed off or out of shape.

Starting 3 imports on the o-line seems to be complete speculation by Penton.

As for Pencer, maybe he just has the flu.

It's not just Penton speculating. Watch Oshea's press conference today.

Edit: Just read this... http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/06/05/bombers-scarily-thin-on-canadian-talent

Three import OL considered... now I am sure Pencer is either pissed off or out of shape.

Starting 3 imports on the o-line seems to be complete speculation by Penton.

As for Pencer, maybe he just has the flu.

It's not just Penton speculating. Watch Oshea's press conference today.

It's there, in the back of the cupboard, just beyond the reach of perusing.

If you watched the scrum you know that he said everybody is moving around and has to know how to play different positions when carrying only 6 men on game day

3 import O-Line guys? 

Doubtful.

As to Pencer..like Jacquie says…maybe he just has the flu, as reported.

O"Shea also said Pencer would be at meetings tonight and is likely dehydrated.

It is far to early to put a huge emphasis on the so called first team players. That can change in a second. As for the ratio, remember this if you start a NIP at a spot you need an equal or at least an adequate back up at that spot. Too often when someone gets hurt you nd of shuffling 3 players around to finish the game. This team has serious depth issues at any and all NIP spots. The notion of playing an import safety is a fantasy. The notion of 4 NIP o line is equally so. This team struggled with 3 NIP o line last season. Likely it is 3 on the o line, 2 receivers if you can find two healthy ones and a back up, a safety , and a flop between a DL or field corner at best. Knowing again you need a back up for the corner spot. Heaven help this team when the NIP starters get hurt.

It is far to early to put a huge emphasis on the so called first team players. That can change in a second. As for the ratio, remember this if you start a NIP at a spot you need an equal or at least an adequate back up at that spot. Too often when someone gets hurt you nd of shuffling 3 players around to finish the game. This team has serious depth issues at any and all NIP spots. The notion of playing an import safety is a fantasy. The notion of 4 NIP o line is equally so. This team struggled with 3 NIP o line last season. Likely it is 3 on the o line, 2 receivers if you can find two healthy ones and a back up, a safety , and a flop between a DL or field corner at best. Knowing again you need a back up for the corner spot. Heaven help this team when the NIP starters get hurt.

4 NI OL is not a fantasy - Neufeld when healthy is a good RT.  Whether 3 or 4 NI OL, you still only have one backup hog dressed.

When he is healthy? How many games has he started and you are likely starting a pure rookie at centre. Like I said serious depth and veteran experience.

I believe he is healthy when his leg is not broken.

That and he started a buncha games for sasktchy did he not? Love misinformed fans ridiculing depth incorrectly..

When he is healthy? How many games has he started and you are likely starting a pure rookie at centre. Like I said serious depth and veteran experience.

That and he started a buncha games for sasktchy did he not? Love misinformed fans ridiculing depth incorrectly..

Cauchy Muamba started a bunch of games too for us and BC.  So what?  No correlation with ability to be a good player today.

Cauchy Muamba started a bunch of games too for us and BC.  So what?  No correlation with ability to be a good player today.

The jab was at neufelds apparent constant injury woes which have essentially been a broken leg.. I realize there is nothing guaranteeing him being an excellent or even average lineman for us at this point..

I read someone's training report from a couple days ago stating that it appeared Neufeld was walking/running with a limp.  I wonder if that is what has prompted Walters to try and trade for a NI OL and the rumblings of starting 3 imports on the OL. 

I just said that he appeared to be limping at the end of the sprints. Doesn't mean it will continue, could have just gone over on it a bit...or it could be something else who knows? Just something I saw is all.

I think O'Shea's comments were blown a little out of proportion. When he referred to three import OL, it didn't sound to me like he was strongly considering the idea, just that every option is an option at this point.

I think O'Shea is just throwing that out there to try to get the NI's to step up.  I've seen this as his plan from the beginning.  When have we ever brought in import competition at guard and center?  There is no way the Bombers can actually afford, ratio wise, to have 3 import olinemen. It's just a matter of which two positions on the line will have imports.  Definitely LT, maybe RG, maybe RT.

I think O'Shea's comments were blown a little out of proportion. When he referred to three import OL, it didn't sound to me like he was strongly considering the idea, just that every option is an option at this point.

Exactly right. At this point, anything under the sun is a 'possibility'. O'Shea's response was very non-committal in my opinion.

The sad reality is the rules require you to play 7 non import starters. If you don't see this team scrambling in the pre season to meet that quota what happens when one goes down. Even the good teams with depth are hunting for warm non import bodies of the scrap heap in the fall. By adding an additional team the depth pool has become further diluted.

The sad reality is the rules require you to play 7 non import starters. If you don't see this team scrambling in the pre season to meet that quota what happens when one goes down. Even the good teams with depth are hunting for warm non import bodies of the scrap heap in the fall. By adding an additional team the depth pool has become further diluted.

And this means either a trade or picking up another teams cuts.  At this time of year neither will occur until after roster cut downs.

So why not upgrade the import talent right now.

I think O'Shea is just throwing that out there to try to get the NI's to step up.  I've seen this as his plan from the beginning.  When have we ever brought in import competition at guard and center?  There is no way the Bombers can actually afford, ratio wise, to have 3 import olinemen. It's just a matter of which two positions on the line will have imports.  Definitely LT, maybe RG, maybe RT.

That's why it is so baffling that so many imports are getting the bulk of the practice time...?

That's why it is so baffling that so many imports are getting the bulk of the practice time...?

practice reps at this time is not for 'who will start and who will not'. it is for 'who stays and who goes'.

That's why it is so baffling that so many imports are getting the bulk of the practice time...

Let's say there are 6 import Olinemen in camp, and let's say the Bombers intend to keep 3 of them.  One starts for sure, another may or may not start depending on how the ratio sorts itself out, and a 3rd will be on the practise roster for depth.

Now lets say that 2 linemen are head and shoulders above the other 4, for example, January and Jones, but the other 4 are all pretty equal in their ability to play tackle.  How to pick the 1 guy out of those 4 to keep on the PR?

Gut instinct?  Sure, that counts for something.  Hundreds of reps at the tackle spot over and over trying to spot mistakes?  Well, yes, they'll do that too.

But if you're going to keep 1 guy to back up 2, just 1, and all 4 are relatively equal at the tackle spot, wouldn't it be important to find out how those guys handle playing center and guard?  Just in case?  Even if the ratio makes it terribly unlikely that he would ever line up at those spots, wouldn't finding the most complete and versatile player who can potentially back up all 5 spots on the Oline be really important?

The Bombers will keep almost all of their NI Olinemen.  They might cut 1.  Do we still have Pollywollydoodlealltheday on our roster?  Maybe 2.

That's why it is so baffling that so many imports are getting the bulk of the practice time...

Let's say there are 6 import Olinemen in camp, and let's say the Bombers intend to keep 3 of them.  One starts for sure, another may or may not start depending on how the ratio sorts itself out, and a 3rd will be on the practise roster for depth.

Now lets say that 2 linemen are head and shoulders above the other 4, for example, January and Jones, but the other 4 are all pretty equal in their ability to play tackle.  How to pick the 1 guy out of those 4 to keep on the PR?

Gut instinct?  Sure, that counts for something.  Hundreds of reps at the tackle spot over and over trying to spot mistakes?  Well, yes, they'll do that too.

But if you're going to keep 1 guy to back up 2, just 1, and all 4 are relatively equal at the tackle spot, wouldn't it be important to find out how those guys handle playing center and guard?  Just in case?  Even if the ratio makes it terribly unlikely that he would ever line up at those spots, wouldn't finding the most complete and versatile player who can potentially back up all 5 spots on the Oline be really important?

The Bombers will keep almost all of their NI Olinemen.  They might cut 1.  Do we still have Pollywollydoodlealltheday on our roster?  Maybe 2.

First name Tetris.

Have you been to a camp session this year?

That does not change the fact that we are spending practice time evaluating import OL at the expense of playing CK, Pencer (before the flu), Everett, Goossen, etc...  

Just my opinion, but our ratio is so lean this year that we essentially need a 4 NI OL - the more our Cdns work with Wylie the better.  I don't really care if our PR import OL is great or not...