Can We Please Run The Ball?

Deebs

i Can't understand how we play a defense like the ticats. Whose D-line obviously struggles keeping offensive lineman from getting to the second level and we only rush the ball 17 times. Simpson has 11 carries for over 100 yards and 2 tds and our OC continues to try and get Buck to beat the blitz with his arm when the coaches are obviously frustrated with guys not beating man coverage. Even if teams load the box and play man all it takes is one crease to have a big gain. I sit in row 9 behind the bomber bench and I will be screaming for them to run the ball on every down. 

i Can't understand how we play a defense like the ticats. Whose D-line obviously struggles keeping offensive lineman from getting to the second level and we only rush the ball 17 times. Simpson has 11 carries for over 100 yards and 2 tds and our OC continues to try and get Buck to beat the blitz with his arm when the coaches are obviously frustrated with guys not beating man coverage. Even if teams load the box and play man all it takes is one crease to have a big gain. I sit in row 9 behind the bomber bench and I will be screaming for them to run the ball on every down. 

and Burke said they called running plays on pretty much every first down in the 2nd half.... you can't establish the run without a passing game to back a defense off. Just turning around and giving the ball to simpson won't do **** all for the offense. Until you can pass your way out of 2nd and long, because you WILL be in 2nd and long regularly in the CFL, you can't establish and kind of offense and therefore get your running game more involved. 

you're playing a defence that has allowed 100-yard rushers in each of the first three weeks... i think Crowton is a dope and Burke doesn't know how to run an offence but that shouldn't matter a hill of beans since anyone with two braincells to rub together would run all night against us.

you're playing a defence that has allowed 100-yard rushers in each of the first three weeks... i think Crowton is a dope and Burke doesn't know how to run an offence but that shouldn't matter a hill of beans since anyone with two braincells to rub together would run all night against us.

Crowton made the argos defense look stupid late last season with the running game, I expect that it'll be the focus this weekend again. But the point still stands, you're going to find yourself in situations where the run gets stuffed and you have to be able to pass your way out of it. 

and Burke said they called running plays on pretty much every first down in the 2nd half.... you can't establish the run without a passing game to back a defense off. Just turning around and giving the ball to simpson won't do **** all for the offense. Until you can pass your way out of 2nd and long, because you WILL be in 2nd and long regularly in the CFL, you can't establish and kind of offense and therefore get your running game more involved. 

Ding ding ding we have a winner. In the CFL you need to be able to pass to open up the run. The defense will just stack the box all night long until Buck proves he can move the ball through the air.

Just because a guy is big and can block doesn't mean he can run like Sellers did.

I didnt say he could run. I was talking about using him in blocking schemes. put Swiston in to seal off the edge and have Pontbriand lead block the first LBer. If we had Watson for the game we could really do some damage outside with Will Ford.

After you do that a few times you can run a counter/misdirection play to the weak side and potentially gain huge yards off that play. There are many other options you can run out of this formation(just gave one example) yet we choose to not use it. I find it very annoying.

I didnt say he could run. I was talking about using him in blocking schemes. put Swiston in to seal off the edge and have Pontbriand lead block the first LBer. If we had Watson for the game we could really do some damage outside with Will Ford.

After you do that a few times you can run a counter/misdirection play to the weak side and potentially gain huge yards off that play. There are many other options you can run out of this formation(just gave one example) yet we choose to not use it. I find it very annoying.

still relies on everyone executing it properly and there's still going to be times when the defense makes a stop and you're in 2nd and long. Need to be able to pick up first downs through the air in order to sustain any sort of offense in the CFL. 

Sure just give Simpson the ball every play and all our offensive problems will magically get resolved.

Is that what I said?  No.  I said give it to him more then 11 times.  You can't expect a good run game with just 11 carries.  We've discussed this before.  20 times per game is a good number to shoot for.

He's not getting this stupid so called magic number of 20 runs or touches because our pathetic offense isn't getting first downs. As it is he's seing the majority of the ball and he's not doing enough with the touches he is seeing. We give him the ball any more and he'll be the only one touching it, hence my OBVIOUS sarcasm in the last post.

but 20 times per game is also reliant on the offense staying on the field, and when you can't pass the ball your offense certainly won't stay on the field. 

This isn't a case of the bombers being unwilling to get the running game involved, this is a case of the bombers offense being unable to produce and stay on the field enough to get the runningbacks the number of touches everyone wants to see. 

The offense is a complete trainwreck in terms of production. You can't establish the run when the offense is THAT ineffective. There's a reason so many people want to see a new qb, because the play from the position we've gotten in the first 3 weeks is crippling this team.

How many times a season do you actually see a running back get 20 carries in the CFL?  Cornish led the league in carries by a fair margin and only averaged 14 carries per game.

Exactly.

Hence why I phrased my last reply like this, "this stupid so called magic number of 20 runs or touches"

IF anyone really thinks the bombers don't want to establish the run I'm going to call them an idiot and be completely justified in it. They need to fixthe #1 problem first and everything else will fall into place. They need to get more from the quarterback position. 

IF anyone really thinks the bombers don't want to establish the run I'm going to call them an idiot and be completely justified in it. They need to fixthe #1 problem first and everything else will fall into place. They need to get more from the quarterback position. 

And that's why most of your arguments fail.  Not because you're wrong, but because you constantly insult people calling them idiots.  Seriously, grow up with that crap already.

But I do agree with you that we need to establish a passing game as well.  But we still need to run it more and we're not doing that enough.  The more touches he has, the more Simpson will figure out the defense and blow through them.  Especially if you do it over and over each game.

Charles Roberts had an average of 15-17 touches per game from 2004-2006 and then it dropped slightly in 2007.  This is what Simpson needs.

I think you are confusing "establishing the run" with having better run production. Teams want to "establish the run" so that linebackers cheat up to the LOS and they start worrying about running in the secondary and it opens up the passing game. Establishing the run makes play action more of a threat etc.

By that definition the Bombers "established the run" before even running a play because teams are scheming to take the run away already. They need better run production so that they can be in more manageable second down situations, convert more and all that good stuff but they don’t need to establish anything when it comes to running.

If teams were dropping extra guys into coverage to take away the passing game they would be daring us to run and we would need to "establish the run" to get the desired effects listed in the first paragraph but they aren't doing that. What we need to do is beat the blitz in the air or via creative run scenarios.

You establish the run to get 8 guys in the box not vise versa. I look forward to being called an idiot though.

YES!  The whole "just run the ball" idea os so unbelievablly simplistic.  And you hear it all the time from people who should know better.  You need to be making first downs to establish the run.  Facing 2nd and 9 all game because the other team knows all the Bombers do is run is not the way to get the offense going. 

Good offenses keep defenses off balance.  You need to have strong run formations, you need to run from them and show you can pass from them too.  You need strong pass formations, you need to show you can run from them too.  Our offence right now is very predictable, any playaction or read plays we use are slow developing at 5 yards depth in our backfield, really just bogging down our offence and not fooling anyone.  Do the basics well and mix it up.