Can We Please Run The Ball?

Deebs

Thanks 17 for straightening me out. I'll just throw my agenda in the garbage now. Thanks for letting me realize the errors of my ways & get with the program. ;)

I do what I can. 

But what I'm saying is, you weren't happy with the offensive performance so you have taken every single opportunity since to run down everything about Gary Crowton. I'm saying your bashing of the coach is out of line when it's clear that sometimes it's simply a case of the players flat out not doing their jobs on the field. 

I believe Simpson is fast enough to successfully run outside, though he does seem to trip on his own momentum quite often - but that is simply not being patient enough to let he play develop. If you've always been a power-style runner who is forcing the outsdie this will happen. But IMHO Bombers should be doing exactly what they are doing, that is running sweeps to the outside - even more than they have done - to counter opposing D's who are stacking the box on us. We haven't had success running inside for that very reason. And we haven't had success running outside because we don't use misdirection to freeze LBs and we almost never pitch to the RB. I wonder why there isn't more disguise or creativity. When the field is 65 yards wide you should be able to succeed around the end when you're seal blocking.

Crowton is a huge problem. His offense can't score. He's the architect, the guy who designs & calls the plays. He's the one who chooses the players. It's on him if it doesn't work. Besides, I'm not the only one unhappy with Crowton here.

Well I just got a chance to watch that game and here's an example of why the coach isn't always the problem... 2nd down and 7, Goltz throws to Simpson short of the first down, Simpson tries to run all the way outside despite the Argos having enough bodies to string it out... he winds up 2 or 3 yards short when there were plenty of opportunities to man up, take the hit and go forward and wind up at least close enough where gambling on 3rd down is an option if not getting the first down yourself. Result is a 2 and out. There was another play where Simpson took the handoff, the play was obviously designed to be inside but the o-line got owned on the play so he bounced outside which was a smart call, but again rather than manning up and cutting up for a short gain he tried to run outside and got caught for a loss of yards. 

It's not all the play calls, there's a lot of plays being left on the field because the players aren't executing very well.

I believe Simpson is fast enough to successfully run outside, though he does seem to trip on his own momentum quite often - but that is simply not being patient enough to let he play develop. If you've always been a power-style runner who is forcing the outsdie this will happen. But IMHO Bombers should be doing exactly what they are doing, that is running sweeps to the outside - even more than they have done - to counter opposing D's who are stacking the box on us. We haven't had success running inside for that very reason. And we haven't had success running outside because we don't use misdirection to freeze LBs and we almost never pitch to the RB. I wonder why there isn't more disguise or creativity. When the field is 65 yards wide you should be able to succeed around the end when you're seal blocking.

I can't remember the last time I saw an actual pitch in a CFL game. Not with the zone read which every team runs now as a base offense. Just when did this ugly offense come into existence in the CFL? We used to have such innovative & imaginative offenses & now it's all the same...

i don't think anyone is fast enough to run outside without proper blocking, playcalling to keep defence guessing wrong, or defenders making errors... and Simpson didn't have any of those going for him on his outside attempts against us... Harris and Sheets however did and they beat on us repeatedly.

i don't think anyone is fast enough to run outside without proper blocking, playcalling to keep defence guessing wrong, or defenders making errors... and Simpson didn't have any of those going for him on his outside attempts against us... Harris and Sheets however did and they beat on us repeatedly.

I truthfully don't think there were a lot of planned outside runs by the bombers anyway which explains why there was no blocking. Think Simpson just didn't want to go for the tough yards for minimal gain and was trying to be a hero and break everything for a big one. That doesn't work. 

Are you crazy? What agenda? I'm just telling you what I saw, that's it. Nothing else, nothing more. I made an observation. I have an opinion. I say what is on my mind. I want the team to win. I don't want us playing like ****. Jeez... Agenda??? Like WTH???

Oh, oh, oh... wait. I get it. Coaches don't make dumbass mistakes. That's why they never get fired. Every team has winning seasons & nobody loses. We have the bestest, absolute greatest players in the CFL... no, sorry ALL of football. Buck is a stud, never gets hurt, never misses a game. League MVP. Bombers lose not because they didn't play well but because an unlucky break always at the wrong time causes them to. Other teams don't beat us. We beat ourselves. Burke is a genius. Crowton a visionary. This team is Grey Cup bound. it behooves me to stop any criticism of the team because hey, I'm just a fan & I need to STHU & know my role. What the hell  do I or anyone else here know? Thanks 17 for straightening me out. I'll just throw my agenda in the garbage now. Thanks for letting me realize the errors of my ways & get with the program. ;)

Well, this is awkward.

I can't remember the last time I saw an actual pitch in a CFL game. Not with the zone read which every team runs now as a base offense. Just when did this ugly offense come into existence in the CFL? We used to have such innovative & imaginative offenses & now it's all the same...

I seem to recall Edmonton ran a pitch play during the monsoon in Hamilton which, of course, the RB dropped but was able to recover the ball and they took a big loss.