Bombers trade for QB Brian Brohm; cut Justin Goltz

Mike

My guess is Goltz was making more than $100,000 per season last year.

maybe with incentives, but those would have fallen off this year due to lack of playing time.

Not including incentives. I wouldn't be surprised if his base was in the $140,000 to $150,000 range.

Mike, do you know any info on what his base was?

Word is @BrianBrohm was obtained by #Bombers via the #Ticats for a 4th rd draft pick or better, based on playing time. #CFL

Pretty much, Alex Hall and a 2nd round pick for Neufeld and Brohm...

... not really.

...?  Did we not trade a 2015 pick as part of the Neufeld deal?

we traded our 2014 second rounder

Typo... what I mean is we got a 2015 pick as part of the Neufeld deal...  the 4th that was dangled for Brohm

From Penton on how the conditional draft pick likely works:

On Monday the Bombers acquired Brohm, 28, from the Tiger-Cats for a conditional 2015 draft pick. It’s a fourth-round selection that will improve to a third or second based on how much Brohm plays for the Bombers in 2014. It’s normal for those stipulations to be activated through six, nine or 12 starts.

Your tie is still crooked, Justin.

He dropped his cuffs. Hey, what's your take on Brohm, Zontar?

Absolute mystery. Got hurt in camp somehow and never saw a snap after that. The one time I went down to camp he wasnt there.

The concern remains based on the depth and experience level at the QB spot on the BB there has to be a concern moving into the season.

At least the young guys they have now have some decent upside. I still would like Glenn here as a stable veteran presence as he'd add some wins to the ledger. And that is what we need... wins. 

Another scouting report on Brohm:

1. Brian Brohm > Louisville

6-4 | 226 | 4.95

Final Grade: 8.4

COMP YDS TD INT YD/COMP

2004 67.4% 819 6 2 8.36

2005 68.8% 2883 19 5 9.58

2006 63.6% 3049 16 5 9.74

2007 65.1% 4024 30 12 8.51

NFL comparison: Peyton Manning, Colts

Arm strength: Makes all the throws with zip and accuracy, but lacks a true rocket arm. His footwork, delivery and release are efficient, making his arm look stronger than it really is. Cannot make great downfield throws when unable to stride into them. Grade: 8.5

Accuracy/delivery: Has a compact and efficient release and consistently gets rid of the ball quickly. Sometimes gets deliberate when throwing, leading to defenders closing in and breaking up passes. Is accurate on throws all over the field. Grade: 8.5

Field vision: Has great field vision, identifying coverages and making correct decisions. Doesn't get fooled by defensive schemes and switches, getting the ball to the right man. Grade: 8.5

Running ability: Shows great, quick footwork to slide and move well in the pocket to avoid pressure. Lacks the ability to tuck the ball and run to make big plays. Grade: 6.5

Intangibles: Comes from a football family; his father and two older brothers are coaches. Clearly has the work ethic, intelligence and feel that is rare for a college quarterback. Grade: 8.0

Bottom line: Considering that Brohm is the son of a coach and his brothers coached him at Louisville, it is no surprise that he has great footwork and technique. He typically makes great decisions, although Brohm forced throws as a senior while trying to carry the offense. In addition to his strong, accurate arm, he has both the mental and athletic acumen to become a terrific starting quarterback early in his NFL career.

Seems to me that McManus puts more emphasis on QBs who are accurate, bigger guys who can take a punishment, smart QBs who can read a defense, with a little escapability.  Where Mack put more of an emphasis it seems on mobility and less so on accurancy and smarts.