Bombers trade for QB Brian Brohm; cut Justin Goltz

Mike

Would like to know what the conditional pick is...  we had a chance to grab this guy for nothing and passed

so you are blaming Walters for Mack's mistake? What were we supposed to do? Wait for Hamilton to cut him and go into TC with only two QB's?

Nope, not at all... just wondering what we had to give up...

Besides, I'm a Taman apologist...  Walters is acting just like Taman, can't really criticize him too much

Probably ranges anywhere from a 7th rounder to a 3rd.

Scratch that -- bottom end is a 4th, all depending on playing time.

Writing was on the wall with Goltz but still a shame. He got jerked around hard by Burke. Pumped his tires all offseason then the first mistakes and under the bus he goes. 

I know nothing about Brohm but it's going to be interesting to watch all the qbs compete in camp. See what shakes down. 

Very happy to hear this news. Goltz was useless as a QB, running seemed to be the only thing he was good at. I wonder how betrayed he feels after this one ?

Bringing in Brohm is a good move as well, Mack could have had him last year, but IMO that shouldn't be on Walters & Co.

Goltz wasn't that bad, I think a lot of it was because of the coaching and situation he was where out of nowhere he becomes the starter and gets blamed for not performing out of the gate.

I'm glad he's gone but I think he had a raw deal similar to Lefors.

Here's a 2008 scouting report on Brohm:

Strengths: Played in a pro-style offense in his first three years under Bobby Petrino…Places the ball well for his receivers in stride setting up the yards after carry…Accurate with the football…Senses pressure and can escape from the pocket when he has to…Makes smart decisions with the football and has the stats to back that up…Has a good; not great arm...Should be a great fit into a West Coast offense.

Weaknesses: Louisville’s line makes Brohm look like a better QB than a he really is…Rutgers’ defense exploited that he breaks down under pressure (which he never really faces)…Tends to overthrow receivers in the intermediate (10-20 yards) passing game…Doesn’t have a powerful arm…Is he a product of Petrino’s system like Dave Ragone and Chris Redman?

Thoughts: Personally, I think Brohm is overrated by the media (ESPN in particular)…He plays in an offense with a tremendous amount of talent against really weak Big East defenses, so I don’t think he is as good as he actually looks…Hunter Cantwell replaced Brohm and put up the same statistics, so what does that say about Brohm?…Would have been the third QB chosen and in 2007, and I don’t understand why he came back for his senior year…Despite all this negativity, I currently have Brohm rated as the No. 2 QB in the country.

Player Comparison: Marc Bulger.

Goltz wasn't that bad, I think a lot of it was because of the coaching and situation he was where out of nowhere he becomes the starter and gets blamed for not performing out of the gate.

I'm glad he's gone but I think he had a raw deal similar to Lefors.

Goltz was better than Boltus and that's not saying much.

Writing was on the wall with Goltz but still a shame. He got jerked around hard by Burke. Pumped his tires all offseason then the first mistakes and under the bus he goes. 

I know nothing about Brohm but it's going to be interesting to watch all the qbs compete in camp. See what shakes down.

I think Goltz sunk himself with his sulking. And according to Walters his contract was too big.

Nice. I do recall some hype behind brohm and was unsure why we didnt land him when we could have before..

Oh well. Hes a bomber now and look forward to yet another heated QB battle in tc and ps to shake out the depth chart... Honestly tho, this should be the most open and interesting battle in many seasons as the talent level is pretty high at 1 and 2 with Hall and whomever else a notch down but still in the mix..

Exciting times at the pivot positon in bomberland.

I think mack reallllllly had high hopes for him for whatever reason and it contributed to his failure.. Goltz buckled under the weight of being a franchise saver and never rebounded.. I imagine mack thru him a contract with a high base to keep him around plus the "you'll be a starter soon.." Mantra

The conditional trade is a 2nd - 4th round 2015 draft pick, depending on Brohm's playing time.  Seems kind of steep. 

Not if he becomes the #1 QB.

The conditional trade is a 2nd - 4th round 2015 draft pick, depending on Brohm's playing time.  Seems kind of steep. 

True.  I wonder how many games he'd have to start for it to become a 2nd rounder. 

But I'd almost rather give up a 2nd rounder for Kevin Glenn, who likely could be had for that or less. 

True.  I wonder how many games he'd have to start for it to become a 2nd rounder. 

But I'd almost rather give up a 2nd rounder for Kevin Glenn, who likely could be had for that or less. 

I thought Ottawa wanted a first rounder or nothing for Glenn?....

And if he does get released maybe we can get him for nothing.

Well, well. A clean QB slate for the Bombers in 2014. Goltz had his chances to step up and faded back instead, while Hall progressed in very difficult times, so goodby, Mr. Goltz. Does this mean his cameo appearance in the Snickers commercial will no longer be aired in Canada or at least Winnipeg? All in all, this group of QBs are thin on CFL experience, which is a bit of a concern, but if Matt Dunigan and McManus vouch for Broehm, he's definitely worth a look-see.

And no way is Glenn ever going to be back in Blue and Gold.

Florida Dan still has to scare up one more promising QB for training camp. We're already a much better team than 2013 when everyone who wasn't chemically impaired knew that the team was going to suck really badly all season- and they exceeded all expectations in that one regard.

If nothing else, its going to be an interesting year.