Bombers trade for QB Brian Brohm; cut Justin Goltz

Mike

Another report on Brohm from 2008:

2008 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

Brohm is a coach's dream. He could've been the #1 pick last season before electing to return to college, so he's definitely pro-ready. What he's gained from being in a family of quarterbacks and by learning more under Bobby Petrino, Brohm has developed into the top quarterback prospect in the 2008 class. Some think he is a product of a pass-happy offense, but check him out on tape and you'll eat those words quickly. Brohm has all of the tools to be a franchise quarterback. He has the size and the big arm to go with it. More importantly, he knows how to use it. Whether it is to throw a bullet over the middle, a fade route to the corner, or the home run ball. He won't scramble for twenty yards, but he can move well enough and can get you a rushing touchdown or two. On top of his physical skills are his football knowledge and his headiness, so he makes few mistakes and he's willing to learn and get better.

There is one knock on him. Durability may be a concern, as he had injury problems in 2005 and 2006, though he has rebounded from his injuries well. Overall, despite the potential injury concerns, Brohm's makeup makes him a can't miss prospect, because whoever drafts him won't have him on the pine for long. Update (11/28/07): Despite Louisville's sub-par season, Brohm has still persevered and had a big year (3,787 yards, 29 touchdowns), though he has had a few un-Brohm-like games --- including completing less than 50% of his passes and throwing three interceptions in a 55-17 loss to South Florida in the Cardinals' last game. Some of his struggles, however, can be attributed to having to play from behind often.

There is one bright spot in this year for Brohm - if he knows how to spin it the right way. He's been used to winning his entire career and now he's in unfamiliar territory, on a losing team. This kind of adversity can help prepare him for his first couple of seasons as an NFL quarterback. He has remained healthy and he has kept his status as the top QB on the board, ahead of Andre' Woodson and Matt Ryan. He's already proved his worth and even though his choice to return for his senior season may not look as good now as it did at first, it won't hurt him severely on draft day, as he'll be off the board very, very quickly.

Update (12/27/07): Brohm's senior season ended without a bowl game, as the Cardinals finished 6-6 overall and 3-5 in the Big East. But, he went out as best as he could (given the way the year went), as he led Louisville back from a 35-17 third-quarter deficit against Rutgers to a last-minute 41-38 victory in his final home game in the season finale on Nov. 29. He was 12 of 22 for 237 yards and one touchdown and ran for another, to finish the season with 4,024 yards and 30 touchdowns passing (with 12 INTs) and three rushing touchdowns. In his career, Brohm threw for 10,775 yards and 71 touchdowns (24 INTs) and he also ran for nine scores. Despite the way that things turned out and equaling his three-year interception numbers in one season, Brohm stayed healthy and he (nor his team) ever gave up, as he led the Cardinals to last-minute wins over Rutgers and Pittsburgh and a second-half comeback win over Cincinnati (falling just short in several other games -- four losses by a touchdown or less).

He came into his senior season as the top QB on the draft board, but with Matt and Andre' Woodson having excellent seasons, both have inched past him in several draft rankings and mock drafts. But, we could see three quarterbacks going in the top 10 in the draft and Brohm will be one of them, whether it's as the first, second, or third picked. Update (2/26/08): Brohm had one of the best days of the quarterbacks at the combine on Sunday and solidified his place as at least the #2 QB in the draft, while keeping himself in the running to be the first signal-caller taken in April. Brohm ran a solid 4.83 40 and was one of the top performers in a few other drills as well. In the throwing drills, he was extremely accurate, which was a plus considering that Chad Henne and Joe Flacco had their struggles in that department.

Writing was on the wall with Goltz but still a shame. He got jerked around hard by Burke. Pumped his tires all offseason then the first mistakes and under the bus he goes. 

I know nothing about Brohm but it's going to be interesting to watch all the qbs compete in camp. See what shakes down.

I think Goltz sunk himself with his sulking. And according to Walters his contract was too big.

His sulking wasn't even really sulking. Burke turned on him like Burke was prone to do and Goltz felt betrayed, I think that's completely fair because the way Burke treated a lot of players was complete and utter bullshit. Goltz got no support from anyone and received almost all of the blame. I'm not saying he would or wouldn't have worked out at qb, but he didn't get a fair shake from Burke and now his career is over (most likely)

Considering the price tag of the trade and how a lot of people feel about him (including Danny Mac) I think there is a really good shot that Brohm gets groomed ASAP for the backup spot to Willy.  He was a big time player in college.  Like most guys coming to the CFL they will come with the "weak arm" label attached to them, but he was pretty accurate.  Willy, Brohm and Hall is a decent stable of QBs.  Pretty much all unproven still but at least they come with potential.  We knew what we had before wasn't good enough.

Writing was on the wall with Goltz but still a shame. He got jerked around hard by Burke. Pumped his tires all offseason then the first mistakes and under the bus he goes. 

I know nothing about Brohm but it's going to be interesting to watch all the qbs compete in camp. See what shakes down.

I think Goltz sunk himself with his sulking. And according to Walters his contract was too big.

His sulking wasn't even really sulking. Burke turned on him like Burke was prone to do and Goltz felt betrayed, I think that's completely fair because the way Burke treated a lot of players was complete and utter bullshit. Goltz got no support from anyone and received almost all of the blame. I'm not saying he would or wouldn't have worked out at qb, but he didn't get a fair shake from Burke and now his career is over (most likely)

Yeah, I agree Burke didn't treat Goltz as well as he should have. And as a HC, we all know Burke sucked the Big One. But for Goltz who  had just a few starts & played awful in most of them to say to the media he felt betrayed by Burke &/or Bellefeuille, I can understand why they benched him. He was sent a message by the former HC & our  present OC to shut up & know his place. I figured Goltz's time was ending back then. I'm surprised they didn't release him last September. I thought  it was pretty clear that he was finished here so they should have cut him  then like they did today & start giving Levi Brown more reps. 

Yeah, I agree Burke didn't treat Goltz as well as he should have. And as a HC, we all know Burke sucked the Big One. But for Goltz who  had just a few starts & played awful in most of them to say to the media he felt betrayed by Burke &/or Bellefeuille, I can understand why they benched him. He was sent a message by the former HC & our  present OC to shut up & know his place. I figured Goltz's time was ending back then. I'm surprised they didn't release him last September. I thought  it was pretty clear that he was finished here so they should have cut him  then like they did today & start giving Levi Brown more reps. 

And that is my issue too. They should have released him right then and there. 

Word is @BrianBrohm was obtained by #Bombers via the #Ticats for a 4th rd draft pick or better, based on playing time. #CFL

Pretty much, Alex Hall and a 2nd round pick for Neufeld and Brohm...

... not really.

...?  Did we not trade a 2015 pick as part of the Neufeld deal?

we traded our 2014 second rounder

Anyone know why Brohm was on Hammy's 9-game injured list? What was the injury? What's the prognosis for full recovery? Why didn't he play after returning to the line-up?

I can't recall the injury, but supposedly he was injured early on. There were also some media "rumblings" that Brohm was being hidden on the IR.

Anyone know why Brohm was on Hammy's 9-game injured list? What was the injury? What's the prognosis for full recovery? Why didn't he play after returning to the line-up?

Also found this

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2013/11/25/mark-coomes-8/

Last spring Brohm signed with the CFL’s Tiger-Cats. Typical of his luckless pro career, he suffered a serious elbow injury in his first preseason game. He’s been on injured reserve ever since.

Word is @BrianBrohm was obtained by #Bombers via the #Ticats for a 4th rd draft pick or better, based on playing time. #CFL

Pretty much, Alex Hall and a 2nd round pick for Neufeld and Brohm...

... not really.

...?  Did we not trade a 2015 pick as part of the Neufeld deal?

we traded our 2014 second rounder

Kels may actually be right.  We received a 2015 fourth rounder in the Neufeld trade.  So it may be that same pick that gets traded to Hamilton for Brohm.

I would assume it would be the Bombers 2015 4th rounder not the Riders.

I remember when Brian Brohm was coming out of college, people were surprised that he dropped out of the first round and thought that the Packers would be able to deal him for a first rounder within a couple of years.

He had some dismal stats in the NFL....but his one preseason appearance against the als tossed for more yards then a typical Goltz game.

You make it sound as though it's overly impressive or something.

I would assume it would be the Bombers 2015 4th rounder not the Riders.

I remember when Brian Brohm was coming out of college, people were surprised that he dropped out of the first round and thought that the Packers would be able to deal him for a first rounder within a couple of years.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that. It could be either one. In fact the condition may involve both picks, I.e. if he doesn't start any games it is the lower 4th round pick, but if he starts between 1-3 games it is the higher 4th round pick. Just as an example. It may end up being that pick, or it may not.

I checked out Brohm's college stats and he was very accurate, in the mid 60 percent completion range. NFL though, with a much smaller sample size, he's only 50 percent completion.

Some scouts say he's a QB who needs to get into a rhythm to be effective, so maybe he just never found a comfort level in his few NFL appearances.