Tim Burke Show June 24

Atomic

Coaching staff went to New Orleans this off-season to study and improve their offence, specifically the play-action aspect of the offence.

Anthony Woodson will be the primary Canadian backup RB, very involved on special teams, can fill in at receiver.

The OL all came into camp in great shape, showing great discipline because "sometimes those big guys see a buffet and just go nuts".

Depending on how Etienne plays, Poblah could have trouble regaining his starting spot.

Punt returners: Jovon Johnson, Demond Washington.  Kick returners: Will Ford, Chad Simpson.

- Still amazed by the utter lack of conversation about our linebackers this pre-season...  if this is a coaching move by Burke to distract us, nice job...!

- Like Will Ford as KR but Simpson not so much... we need him healthy.  And what happened to having a dedicated return guy - ???

- Would be good to see Woodson stay healthy and contribute

- Etienne maybe, Kohlert probably...

There's not much to discuss about the LBers. Muamba is obviously not an issue, Bowman started as a raw rookie and no one seemed to care, with Parker he has a season under his belt and has looked good. Lack of experience doesn't mean it's a sore spot. Sears is hurt and has the ability to be a very good nickel. What exactly is the problem here?

There's not much to discuss about the LBers. Muamba is obviously not an issue, Bowman started as a raw rookie and no one seemed to care, with Parker he has a season under his belt and has looked good. Lack of experience doesn't mean it's a sore spot. Sears is hurt and has the ability to be a very good nickel. What exactly is the problem here?

I guess the problem is that 2010 was a major overhaul after Kelly... whereas 2013 SHOULD be a continuation instead of yet another roster explosion.

It just comes down to whether you feel guys like Goltz, Cauchy and Parker have 'experience' or don't and I don't feel like arguing about that anymore.

What IS absolutely worrisome is McGee and Dunn pencilled in at SAM.

I guess the problem is that 2010 was a major overhaul after Kelly... whereas 2013 SHOULD be a continuation instead of yet another roster explosion.

It just comes down to whether you feel guys like Goltz, Cauchy and Parker have 'experience' or don't and I don't feel like arguing about that anymore.

What IS absolutely worrisome is McGee and Dunn pencilled in at SAM.

I can understand the other two but Cauchy was a starter in the league. Whether he was an average starter or not is up for debate but to say he doesn't have experience is completely untrue.

Dunn at SAM is worrisome I agree but it shouldn't be for more than one or two games. I won't say it doesn't worry me because it does but no team in this league has CFL experience at every position. It's a spot we will just have to bite the bullet and take a chance with for a game or two until Sears comes back.

As for Parker. He has little in-game experience but it is far better than going into a season with a raw rookie. He has a season to learn the league and position and had a good camp. Is he destined to be a game-changer at the position? Chances are no, but he has given every indication of being able to play the position.

I can understand the other two but Cauchy was a starter in the league. Whether he was an average starter or not is up for debate but to say he doesn't have experience is completely untrue.

Dunn at SAM is worrisome I agree but it shouldn't be for more than one or two games. I won't say it doesn't worry me because it does but no team in this league has CFL experience at every position. It's a spot we will just have to bite the bullet and take a chance with for a game or two until Sears comes back.

As for Parker. He has little in-game experience but it is far better than going into a season with a raw rookie. He has a season to learn the league and position and had a good camp. Is he destined to be a game-changer at the position? Chances are no, but he has given every indication of being able to play the position.

Well, I never said they were rookies... Just saying they are not what you'd call 'experienced'.

There is no reason to go through our 'new' starters and our lack of proven depth (and proven lack of depth if you look at Labbe...) - but yeah, if Mack isn't going to do free agency or sign CFL vets, then I would like him to find guys that can do more than 'play the position'... I really expected someone (like Wild) to come into camp and blow us away... Markett seems to have done that and no noe else.

I don't mind trying out new guys, I just wish they would actually steal jobs from our vets instead of being annointed heir apparent seemingly on gut instinct. The pressure is on Washington and Cauchy for sure, I honestly hope they rise to the occasion because the combination of WHB and S is pretty critical to a D.

if Mack isn't going to do free agency or sign CFL vets, then I would like him to find guys that can do more than 'play the position'...

I think that's a case of having expectations too high. How many guys in the CFL actually do more than just play the position? How many of those guys would you find in free agency anyway? Not every player on your team is going to be a star, most of them by far are just guys playing the position.

I would hope so .... 

I echo this sentiment ..  we have our guy in Muamba .. now we most decidedly need to bring someone in to push the backup talent at that spot .. I have a lot of respect for what Labbe has given to this team .. and for a long time his contributition was underrated .. but the drop off from Muamba to Labbe in terms of athleticism and playmaking ability is a liability.

Not problem.  Problems. 

Muamba was inconsistent last year.  Yes, he came on.  Yes, he's got a ton of potential.  Yes, he's Canadian.  Yes, I am seriously considering getting a Muamba jersey.    I'd like to see him in the right hole and taking the right angle to a running back more than two plays in a row.  He's got beast potential though for sure but comparisons to Willie Pless are premature.

Parker is taking over from a guy who was better than him.  So that's a downgrade until proven otherwise. 

Sears had barely played a game at nickel in his life.  Last year, with him on the roster the coaches played 4 other players in that spot before him.  When they finally turned to him for the last few games he kept getting hurt (at least once on the opening kick-pff as I recall).  So any potential you see there is just that, something you see there.  Not something that is actually proven.  Plus, he's hurt and MecGee might be hurt and a guy we were all sure was going to get cut after being lit up in preseason could be starting there on Thursday. 

So for Thursday it's backup or 3rd stringer playing beside semi-unproven guy coming off an injury playing beside recently promoted back-up.  That, my friends, is a question mark position. 

disclaimer to the above- I realize the coaches played other guys at SAM last year because Sears was busy playing other positions well but still...

Hugo Lopez was my first thought as well... Antwi appears to be on T.O.'s practice roster but I suppose we could try to take him if we really wanted him.

We have a spot on the active roster so claiming a PR player wouldn't be an issue, although the player has to agree.  With Thomas out we are short a DL and Burke likes to run 6-7 guys through the rotation.  I don't really see anyone (NI) out there who could jump into the rotation though, Antwi or Kashama?

We have a spot on the active roster so claiming a PR player wouldn't be an issue, although the player has to agree.  With Thomas out we are short a DL and Burke likes to run 6-7 guys through the rotation.  I don't really see anyone (NI) out there who could jump into the rotation though, Antwi or Kashama?

The Argos could activate Antwi if they really don't want to lose him.

Kashama is an interesting point... forgot about him, I wonder what's going on there.