Pascucci: Gary Etcheverry Bombers new DC

gbill2004

I hear a lot of negativity over a potential Etcheverry hiring but not a lot of reasons for it. He has run successful defences in this league with his last one going to back to back Grey Cups. I understand he is unconventional but is that a reason to jump off a cliff if we hire him? The majority of RoughRIder fans believe he was a good DC and are suggesting he would be a good hire by the Bombers. I'd like to know what automatically makes this a poor hire in some posters minds here? Please criticize away but elaborate. It's tough to know the difference between the legit concerns and the negatrons in this thread.

A CFL source said Wednesday that new Bomber head coach Mike O'Shea interviewed former Montreal Alouettes' defensive coordinator Tim Tibesar this week. And veteran assistant Gary Etcheverry, who was head coach of the Toronto Argonauts for 12 games in 2002, is also rumoured to be on the Bomber radar screen.

- Winnipeg Free Press

I hear a lot of negativity over a potential Etcheverry hiring but not a lot of reasons for it. He has run successful defences in this league with his last one going to back to back Grey Cups. I understand he is unconventional but is that a reason to jump off a cliff if we hire him? The majority of RoughRIder fans believe he was a good DC and are suggesting he would be a good hire by the Bombers. I'd like to know what automatically makes this a poor hire in some posters minds here? Please criticize away but elaborate. It's tough to know the difference between the legit concerns and the negatrons in this thread.

No they aren't.

Etcheverry's major downfall is that his system always comes out looking like gangbusters and then once teams figure out his mad scientist schemes, he's unable to adjust or add wrinkles to keep offenses on their toes. He's got a great defense if you're looking to win the "Before Labour Day Grey Cup"

No they aren't.

Etcheverry's major downfall is that his system always comes out looking like gangbusters and then once teams figure out his mad scientist schemes, he's unable to adjust or add wrinkles to keep offenses on their toes. He's got a great defense if you're looking to win the "Before Labour Day Grey Cup"

well we have to hire 2 mad scientists then. 1 before the labor day and 1 after. :D

Mike we'll have to agree to disagree on the Riderfans thing. There is a whole thread dedicated to our DC search and many of the posters there suggest that Etch would be a decent hire. I'm not sure if you've had a chance to check it out but you will see many of that forum's more knowledgable posters endorsing the possibility.

Thank you for giving a valid criticism to back your opinion. I have heard this as well. However, I have also heard that in the season in question he had one of his veterans who was unhappy with his assignments try to lead a mutiny in the dressing room that affected the defence for a few games in the 2nd half of the season. It was sorted out by the end of the season and Etch's defence went on to dominate in the playoffs and nearly win the Grey Cup.

One could make the argument that he is not a popular player's coach that's for sure but I think that hanging the pre-Labor/Post labor day comparison is slightly inaccurate and based on one tumultuous attempted coup d'état in which quite frankly is a case of the HC being guilty for allowing it to take place and the player being selfish.

I am not saying that this necessarily absolves Etch of any or all blame for anything in the 2nd half of that year. Just saying that his defence had never been accused of 2nd half collapses prior to that season and that when the HC finally addressed the problem in the dressing room the defence improved dramatically. Take from that what you will.

Just so we are clear though, I too, am apprehensive of Etcheverry. I don't necessarily believe he would do a poor job I'm just not sure if we have the right guys to play his style of defence and definitely worry about his locker room prescence. If we get Tibesar I would be much happier. However, if Etch is the guy I am willing to take a wait and see approach. I believe a lot of his criticisms are based more on a lack of social skills in the media and dressing room than in actual football coaching itself.

Absolutely do not want a guy who tries to outsmart everyone by making players play roles they aren't comfortable with. It's a gimmick and gimmicks don't work long term and alienates players.I don't give a damn what rider fans say, their opinions are worthless when it comes to the Bombers. Ask them if they want the guy running their defense and I bet the tune changes. 

The defense improved dramatically because they ditched Etcheverry's schemes. He was essentially DC in name only down the stretch, they didn't run anything CLOSE to an Etcheverry defense and believe what you want, but it's not because Etch adjusted, it's because he was told what to do by his boss.

I'm going to try something new for me....instead of focussing on my disappointment of the individuals hired in the Coordinator positions...I'm going to take an approach that maybe as a collective group they may develop a certain chemistry to be successful. It's become too easy as of late to right this team off before they have even had a snap. I'm really hoping they walk the walk with regards to being aggressive in free agency and that right combination of players and staff turn things around for this club.