Pascucci: Gary Etcheverry Bombers new DC

gbill2004

I guess we will see how this plays out...

Our only strength right now is the DL... which Etch has had a history of undermining/ignoring...  our DBs are probably not fast enough - although Wild, Sears and Suber 'should' excel in his style of D.  Henoc too if we sign him...

Hopefully, the GeeGees experience woke him up... but, yeah, don't sign him to more than a one year contract.

Etcheverry with Tibesar is not striking fear into the hearts of opponents....

Our only strength right now is the DL... which Etch has had a history of undermining/ignoring...  our DBs are probably not fast enough - although Wild, Sears and Suber 'should' excel in his style of D.  Henoc too if we sign him...

Hopefully, the GeeGees experience woke him up... but, yeah, don't sign him to more than a one year contract.

errr what

Gary Etcheverry's Record as a CFL Defensive Co-ordinator:

1999 Toronto - 9-9 - Lost Eastern Semi-Final (0-1)

2000 Saskatchewan - 5-12-1 - No playoffs

2001 BC - 8-10 - Lost Western Semi-Final (0-1)

2004 Ottawa - 5-13 - No playoffs

2009 Saskatchewan - 10-7-1 - Lost in Grey Cup (1-1)

2010 Saskatchewan - 10-8 - Lost in Grey Cup (2-1)

Lifetime career numbers as a CFL DC - 47-59-2 for a .443 win percentage.  His teams have made the playoffs 4 out of 6 times and have a combined record of 3-4, with 2 Grey Cup appearances and no Grey Cup victories.

Points Against:

1999 - 373 (1st in East, Tied for 1st in the CFL)

2000 - 626 (4th in the West, 8th in the CFL)

2001 - 445 (2nd in the West, 5th in the CFL)

2004 - 560 (4th in the East, 9th in the CFL)

2009 - 484 (2nd in the West, 4th in the CFL)

2010 - 488 (3rd in the West, 7th in the CFL)

errr what

I just remember Etcheverry using absolutely crazy DL formations... and being crap against the run.  Now that I look at it, Chick and Baggs had a great season under him...  so who knows... 

Dee, as a fan.... if you are knowledgeable & know the CFL as well as the background of the guy a team hires, I think generally have a pretty accurate idea of how a coach is going to do. If I recall the different discussions we had here & at the other site, I believe most of us knew going in last  year that that Tim Burke was in deep doo doo, after the horrible exhibition season & especially after Buck got hurt against the Argos in mid  July.

We knew Austin would do okay, Milanovich had Ray & (surprise!) Collaros so the Argos kept on winning.

Dan Hawkins wasn't a surprise firing in Montreal. The timing of it was, so soon but we discussed the fact he was an American coach with very little knowledge of the CFL so we didn't think he'd do well & he didn't.

We figured Huff in Calgary would do just fine, as would Benevides in BC but thought his team would be better than they were.

We also knew Kavis Reed with his brusque & impatient coaching style was in tough with an inexperienced team up in Edmonton. So yeah, I think we knew & called it pretty accurately. As far as the Riders go, who gives a **** about the Riders?

I won't comment on MOS until I see the rest of his coaching staff & who lines up behind the center as well as the rest of the supporting cast next year until after free agency in February.

Yep, we called it. Actually we called a lot of things right all around the CFL. The posters here are very insightful.

I was a huge Mack fan his first season. Great year one, I thought.

Then he had that first off season where he slept like a baby through free agency and I thought, this guy doesn't fully grasp the GM role. 

Only took, what? Two excruciating years after that?

That said, I was kind of surprised Fat Greg Marshall was as horrible as he was in SK. Thought he would be okay. 

That being said, if Fat Greg had started in a less toxic environment I think he would've fared much better. 

I believe most of us knew going in last  year that that Tim Burke was in deep doo doo, after the horrible exhibition season & especially after Buck got hurt against the Argos in mid  July.

We knew Austin would do okay, 

Milanovich had Ray & (surprise!) Collaros so the Argos kept on winning.

Dan Hawkins wasn't a surprise firing in Montreal. 

We figured Huff in Calgary would do just fine, as would Benevides in BC but thought his team would be better than they were.

We also knew Kavis Reed with his brusque & impatient coaching style was in tough with an inexperienced team up in Edmonton. So yeah, I think we knew & called it pretty accurately. As far as the Riders go, who gives a **** about the Riders?

I won't comment on MOS until I see the rest of his coaching staff & who lines up behind the center as well as the rest of the supporting cast next year until after free agency in February.

Your examples are not examples of "members usually can call a coaches success or failure before it happens."

They're a review of what has happened.

Trestman was brought in to Montreal and proved highly successful. So they bring in Hawkins. Who really knew that Hawkins Cheezies was better for the team than that Coach.

Even now I'm not sure of Benevides, but that just might be me.

Burke was thrown into the HC role mid-season, but I'd still venture to say nobody knew he was as ill prepared to run a CFL HCoaching position, especially after spending time learning in Montreal.

​So, I guess you're better at that than I am, but….if that is so, or iso in this case, then I'll await your verdict on O'Shea, what, sometime in June? of 2016?

Yep, we called it. Actually we called a lot of things right all around the CFL. The posters here are very insightful.

I was a huge Mack fan his first season. Great year one, I thought.

Then he had that first off season where he slept like a baby through free agency and I thought, this guy doesn't fully grasp the GM role. 

Only took, what? Two excruciating years after that?

That said, I was kind of surprised Fat Greg Marshall was as horrible as he was in SK. Thought he would be okay. 

That being said, if Fat Greg had started in a less toxic environment I think he would've fared much better. 

It's never shocking when someone who can't manage their own emotions can't manage a football team, or a McDonald's.

Hold on there Baba-Louie. 

The search is still on….

The search for a new Bombers defensive co-ordinator is nearly two months old, and it looks like the list of potential replacements for Casey Creehan is growing.

According to a source, Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea is now looking at non-veteran CFL coaches for possible new candidates.

View the full article