Who do the Bombers protect?

BigBlue

I respect Penton’s opinion on protecting Poblah, although his reasoning is weak. IMO he’s weakness has been the types of routes he’s running and under-utilizing his strengths. Make him run a fade from an inside position or send him on a drag, but he needs to get his hands out in front of him in some open space. I think he needs to be a more consistent part of the blocking schemes on screen plays too.

I can see him working well in a few offensive systems.

That's all well and good, but he can't catch

He can catch. We've seen it. He had a decent second year here after missing most of 2011. 2013 has been inconsistent as well with another injury then being regulated to spot duty. With Watson and Kohlert taking most of the first team reps, he just hasn't had the opportunity to get back in there on a regular basis.

Guess you haven't been watching the same Poblah as I have. Injuries or not..you can't rely on him to get open, and if he does to make the catch. Guess that's why he is sitting on the bench.

How many times has he even seen any game reps this year in the offense? He is sitting on the bench because we currently have 2-3 NI receivers that are better than him.

He does have issues with getting open on a consistent basis, but he can be utilized better too.

You just made my argument

So Jake Thomas/A 2014 draft pick taking snaps at DT perhaps sharing a spot, with a mix of Labbe in a 3/4 front, Sherman as a dime versus playing say Neufeld at RT, Greaves at G, Swiston or Pencer at G and Sorenson or another NI at C?

If we want to have a good offence, we should plan to "start" 5 NI's on offence, 2 on defence.  If Pencer or Neufeld win the RT spot, great, Swiston is the better of the 3 so he'll probably end up being our RG by default.  We shouldn't rely on it.  That's a recipe for a bad season.  We really need to solidify the interior though.  For some reason the Mack/Lapo regime had this great fascination with the NI tackles and we've done nothing to procure or develop any interior guys other than Greaves and even Greaves was looked at as a tackle prospect.

I think they assumed that is a guy could play tackle he could also play Guard... it's turning out to be pretty untrue

I respect Penton’s opinion on protecting Poblah, although his reasoning is weak. IMO he’s weakness has been the types of routes he’s running and under-utilizing his strengths. Make him run a fade from an inside position or send him on a drag, but he needs to get his hands out in front of him in some open space. I think he needs to be a more consistent part of the blocking schemes on screen plays too.

He can catch. We've seen it. He had a decent second year here after missing most of 2011. 2013 has been inconsistent as well with another injury then being regulated to spot duty. With Watson and Kohlert taking most of the first team reps, he just hasn't had the opportunity to get back in there on a regular basis.

Guess you haven't been watching the same Poblah as I have. Injuries or not..you can't rely on him to get open, and if he does to make the catch. Guess that's why he is sitting on the bench.

How many times has he even seen any game reps this year in the offense? He is sitting on the bench because we currently have 2-3 NI receivers that are better than him.

He does have issues with getting open on a consistent basis, but he can be utilized better too.

You're argument was that he can't catch.  A pretty negligent comment, to say the least.  He's performed under his expectations because of injury, and losing his starting spot to other NI receivers.  How is that making your argument?

You're argument was that he can't catch.  A pretty negligent comment, to say the least.  He's performed under his expectations because of injury, and losing his starting spot to other NI receivers.  How is that making your argument?

Injury has nothing to do with whether he gets open or can catch. When he is injured he is not playing..so let's just leave that out of the equation because it is a weak argument. He is obviously not playing because he is not good enough. That includes getting open and catching the ball when he does. I can remember many drops easily that he should have caught. Stick up for him all you want, but he is a bust so far.

Injury has nothing to do with whether he gets open or can catch. When he is injured he is not playing..so let's just leave that out of the equation because it is a weak argument. He is obviously not playing because he is not good enough. That includes getting open and catching the ball when he does. I can remember many drops easily that he should have caught. Stick up for him all you want, but he is a bust so far.

Injuries have plenty to do with it.  If he didn't start the season on the injured list for the first several games, he would have been in the lineup.  It's hard to fathom that if he had more playing time this season that we'd even be talking about this.  

You say he is not playing currently because he is not good enough, I say it's because other players are playing better than him right now. There's a difference.  It doesn't mean he is a "bust", and not worth protecting.

I think you are too quick to write him off because he came in with high expectations and was a guy who was expected to work right into the offense and do some damage immediately.  Poblah hasn't played up to expectations, but our team is not exactly rich in Canadian content, so as of right now, he is worthy of keeping around for what he can bring to the team.  

Injuries have plenty to do with it.  If he didn't start the season on the injured list for the first several games, he would have been in the lineup.  It's hard to fathom that if he had more playing time this season that we'd even be talking about this.  

You say he is not playing currently because he is not good enough, I say it's because other players are playing better than him right now. There's a difference.  It doesn't mean he is a "bust", and not worth protecting.

I think you are too quick to write him off because he came in with high expectations and was a guy who was expected to work right into the offense and do some damage immediately.  Poblah hasn't played up to expectations, but our team is not exactly rich in Canadian content, so as of right now, he is worthy of keeping around for what he can bring to the team.  

ok....you like him...even though you say other players are better....I don't....guess we'll see.

ok....you like him...even though you say other players are better....I don't....guess we'll see.

I just think he has a good skill set, and is better than what we have seen from him.  It's fair enough to just see what happens.  

Poblah & Watson have more talent than shown .... the lack of results/success: some of that is coaching, some is lack of experience,  some is opportunity and some is confidence

Its hard to be the 5th receiver on the field

Watson in particular will get better as he learns the team, the playbook and the QB .... the balls he's dropped has a lot to do with the pressure of being a newbie and wanting to show well

Poblah & Watson have more talent than shown .... the lack of results/success: some of that is coaching, some is lack of experience,  some is opportunity and some is confidence

Watson in particular will get better as he learns the team, the playbook and the QB .... the balls he's dropped has a lot to do with the pressure of being a newbie and wanting to show well

... Watson?

... Watson?

Brain cramp .... meant Foster

If January gets taken in the expansion draft, could Jarvis Jones play LT?

yes. he played there on his first ever start, with less than a week here in Winnipeg. he did look good there. i think Jones deserved to be protected.

I proposed on another Bomber message board that we should protect Jones, allow January to go to Ottawa and use the savings in salary to make serious offers to QBs or OL upgrades. For the most part that idea was laughed at.

yes. he played there on his first ever start, with less than a week here in Winnipeg. he did look good there. i think Jones deserved to be protected.

I proposed on another Bomber message board that we should protect Jones, allow January to go to Ottawa and use the savings in salary to make serious offers to QBs or OL upgrades. For the most part that idea was laughed at.

To upgrade our OL we should let another team take our best O Lineman?

To upgrade our OL we should let another team take our best O Lineman?

Are you sure January is an upgrade over Jones?

I like Jone's attitude, he's always got his nose in the action it seems and no denying that the line play has improved since his arrival but starting 2 imports sucks. Fact is though they need 2 import tackles on the team so you have to keep both.

Bombers have stated they plan on starting Neufeld, a non import, at right tackle next season.

I like Jone's attitude, he's always got his nose in the action it seems and no denying that the line play has improved since his arrival but starting 2 imports sucks. Fact is though they need 2 import tackles on the team so you have to keep both.

Bombers have stated they plan on starting Neufeld, a non import, at right tackle next season.

That's fine but who backs up your starting 2 tackles? when January or Neufeld goes down.

That's fine but who backs up your starting 2 tackles? when January or Neufeld goes down.

Bombers have 15 OLs at practice these days, they'll figure it out.

Thats funny considering we don't have a head coach or GM for next season.

Thats funny considering we don't have a head coach or GM for next season.

Well it's still been stated by our current GM.

So Jake Thomas/A 2014 draft pick taking snaps at DT perhaps sharing a spot, with a mix of Labbe in a 3/4 front, Sherman as a dime versus playing say Neufeld at RT, Greaves at G, Swiston or Pencer at G and Sorenson or another NI at C?

If we want to have a good offence, we should plan to "start" 5 NI's on offence, 2 on defence. If Pencer or Neufeld win the RT spot, great, Swiston is the better of the 3 so he'll probably end up being our RG by default. We shouldn't rely on it. That's a recipe for a bad season. We really need to solidify the interior though. For some reason the Mack/Lapo regime had this great fascination with the NI tackles and we've done nothing to procure or develop any interior guys other than Greaves and even Greaves was looked at as a tackle prospect.

I think they assumed that is a guy could play tackle he could also play Guard... it's turning out to be pretty untrue

personally, i imagine they felt developing a tackle would be better then FAing ones every other season where as guards/centres are much more plentiful,.cheaper and easier to bring in (in theory) but ends up that all Oline members are difficult to aquire because they are all in such high demand..