Who do the Bombers protect?

BigBlue

Kolhert is also a free agent.

Kohlert's the player we sign of the 2 (Etienne & Kohlert). If I was going to gamble, I'd protect Kohlert then make sure he gets signed but leave Etienne exposed to Ottawa. If Etienne isn't selected & wants to come back here then he has to take a significant pay cut to do so based on his numbers the past 3 seasons. All first rounders get paid $85-95,000 a season. He then takes a 25-35% pay cut on a new contract. If he balks then sayonara, kid. Best of luck as he won't get any better offers even in his beloved home land.

No they don't.  None of them do.  If they are lucky they can make that if they reach performance bonuses.  Muamba isn't making close to that in base salary on his current deal.

So, you're saying Henoc Muamba makes $45,000 a year? Really, do tell? When Chris Bauman signed with the Stamps after bouncing atound the CFL (inc Winnipeg) after he was selected as the very first pick in the draft back whenever, his salary for a backup depth receiver on the Stamps that they are paying him now is about $135,000 a year according to people in the know. And you're saying Etienne makes what, $35,000?? Forty?? Why would a first round pick sacrifice his body & his time to get paid that? He could get a job paying more money.

Do you not see the possibility of there being middle ground between 35-45K & 85-95k?

Why do you get so angry about everything?

Nobody and hope the Red Bricks take the entire works.....

lol, I was thinking the same thing, other than Watson just protect oline men for NI's. The imports I wouldn't even worry about they are all easily replaced, look at Aaron Kelly pulled from the scrap heap and has been a stud by Bomber standards.

Kelly already knew Bellefeuille's system so that's why he's been able to step right in. That's not the norm.

2010 the first overall pick signed a record base contract for $200,000/3 years + incentives (pretty standard $80,000 per year deal with the basic incentives and $90,000 with the rest of the incentives)

If Henoc Muamba signed a deal for $150,000/3 years then his agent wasn't paying attention to the years before.

Kolhert is also a free agent.

Kohlert's the player we sign of the 2 (Etienne & Kohlert). If I was going to gamble, I'd protect Kohlert then make sure he gets signed but leave Etienne exposed to Ottawa. If Etienne isn't selected & wants to come back here then he has to take a significant pay cut to do so based on his numbers the past 3 seasons. All first rounders get paid $85-95,000 a season. He then takes a 25-35% pay cut on a new contract. If he balks then sayonara, kid. Best of luck as he won't get any better offers even in his beloved home land.

No they don't.  None of them do.  If they are lucky they can make that if they reach performance bonuses.  Muamba isn't making close to that in base salary on his current deal.

So, you're saying Henoc Muamba makes $45,000 a year? Really, do tell? When Chris Bauman signed with the Stamps after bouncing atound the CFL (inc Winnipeg) after he was selected as the very first pick in the draft back whenever, his salary for a backup depth receiver on the Stamps that they are paying him now is about $135,000 a year according to people in the know. And you're saying Etienne makes what, $35,000?? Forty?? Why would a first round pick sacrifice his body & his time to get paid that? He could get a job paying more money.

Do you not see the possibility of there being middle ground between 35-45K & 85-95k?

And why do you have to always get personal? I wasn't mad, dude.

I always get personal? Alright...

Anyways, how about that middle ground?

Seeing we are getting personal here, I have to ask.  What is your cat's name? 

Man, you find strange hills to die on...

Why would there be a middle ground? On what basis? Rids knows his stuff when it comes to salaries. He's worked with other CFL teams at arms length. Knows scouts on various CFL teams. Has had discussions with them about players. He attends the Senior Bowl every year & is on the field with the NFL & CFL scouts. He attends the E Camp the CFL holds in March. He is on a first name basis with most CIS head coaches across Canada. He talks to these guys & they all give him the scoop on what their former players are making. He is an equal partner with CFL player Shomari Williams in a college recruiting company. He has set up combines all across Canada. I didn't just pick those numbers out of the blue that I quoted. It was Rids who first told me what CFL first rounders make just a few days ago in a private discussion about this very thing. 

Why would there be a middle ground? On what basis? Rids knows his stuff when it comes to salaries. He's worked with other CFL teams at arms length. Knows scouts on various CFL teams. Has had discussions with them about players. He attends the Senior Bowl every year & is on the field with the NFL & CFL scouts. He attends the E Camp the CFL holds in March. He is on a first name basis with most CIS head coaches across Canada. He talks to these guys & they all give him the scoop on what their former players are making. He is an equal partner with CFL player Shomari Williams in a college recruiting company. He has set up combines all across Canada. I didn't just pick those numbers out of the blue that I quoted. It was Rids who first told me what CFL first rounders make just a few days ago in a private discussion about this very thing. 

What a bizarre comment.

You said "first round picks make 85-95k" and JBR said "no they don't" and you replied with "so what are you saying, they make 40-45k" and not only that, but you're extremely confrontational about it.

How in the world can you not see yourself ignoring the possibility of a middle ground in that exchange?

Truly a weird dude. If you honestly weren't mad, you need to take a long hard look at the way you talk to people because for a guy who was just engaging in a conversation and wasn't at all upset, you sure came across as a bit of a d-bag. Not attacking you, just being honest. I trust you when you say you weren't mad, but damn man ... you sure sound like it. A lot.

Also as a side note, I find it quite humorous that you say Etienne wouldn't get a sniff anywhere unless he took a paycut from his projected 85-95k a year and then in the very same post, you're quoted saying that Chris Bauman rakes in 135k a year.

Maybe you should think about that one for a bit.

Nasty Nate numbers aside, the highest contract ever signed by a #1 pick is for 70k a year.  That contract wasn't signed by Jade Etienne.  Keep digging.

Obviously we're talking base salary though.

Yes, but to be honest, other than Muamba, Edem and Heenan, most of the recent 1st rounders aren't hitting the jackpot on their incentives.  The potential is there, but they aren't producing or playing enough to meet them.  They are hitting roster bonuses which leave them at still below average CFL salaries.  It's not like the NFL before the rookie cap where high picks were handed the biggest contract on their team.

What a bizarre comment.

You said "first round picks make 85-95k" and JBR said "no they don't" and you replied with "so what are you saying, they make 40-45k" and not only that, but you're extremely confrontational about it.

How in the world can you not see yourself ignoring the possibility of a middle ground in that exchange?

Truly a weird dude. If you honestly weren't mad, you need to take a long hard look at the way you talk to people because for a guy who was just engaging in a conversation and wasn't at all upset, you sure came across as a bit of a d-bag. Not attacking you, just being honest. I trust you when you say you weren't mad, but damn man ... you sure sound like it. A lot.

This place is small but becoming very cliqueish. When this place first opened we all got along. Then disagreements became spats, which became arguments, which became grudges & is now becoming wars. Now when I post, I have to put on a suit of armor because I know I'll get attacked by the same people. I can almost count on it. Is it because the team sucks so bad that people including myself are so grouchy here? If we were 12-3 instead of 3-12 would we get along better? I don't know but I do know it's not as much fun coming here as it used to be. People want to be respected. Respect goes both ways, I get that. I need to be better but so do others here as well.

This place is small but is becoming very cliqueish. If some people want respect then they have to treat others the same way. Including yourself. It's easy to preach. Maybe you should follow your advice. When this place first opened, people seemed happy to be here. We all got along. There weren't many arguments. Then little disagreements became spats which became feuds, then grudges & seem to now becoming wars. A lot of times, I have to come here & put on a suit of armour knowing whatever I say will be attacked. So, I guess I'm defensive. I expect to be attacked so therefore I get the first shot in. Is it because the team sucks so we're grouchy? If we were 12-3 would this be a happy place? I don't know anymore. I know it's not as much fun coming here as it used to be.

Serious question; who's involved in a war on this site?

I'm not a pyschologist, but I think if you'd just chill the **** out you wouldn't end up in so many arguments.

What a bizarre comment.

And you don't? You make it very clear who you like or dislike here everyday just by the way you say things & treat people yourself. This place is small but is becoming very cliqueish. If some people want respect then they have to treat others the same way. Including yourself. It's easy to preach. Maybe you should follow your advice. When this place first opened, people seemed happy to be here. We all got along. There weren't many arguments. Then little disagreements became spats which became feuds, then grudges & seem to now becoming wars. A lot of times, I have to come here & put on a suit of armour knowing whatever I say will be attacked. So, I guess I'm defensive. I expect to be attacked so therefore I get the first shot in. Is it because the team sucks so we're grouchy? If we were 12-3 would this be a happy place? I don't know anymore. I know it's not as much fun coming here as it used to be.

Maybe you just take everything a wee bit too serious. There are no "cliques" here. I don't dislike any posters here on a personal level.

And what is all this about spats turning into feuds into grudges into wars? Wars? Really? Really?

You talk about coming here knowing whatever you say will be attacked. And then you say you expect to be attacked. Which is it? Are your opinions being attacked (i.e. debated) or do you legitimately feel like you are personally being verbally abused?

Honestly, you just take this place a bit too serious. It's supposed to be a casual place for a group of fans to talk shop, not a place that involves itself in "wars", as you put it. I don't mean to be rude, but there are very few posters here that I would not be interested in sitting down with and grabbing a beer over some Bomber talk. Unfortunately, your constantly combative attitude makes you one of them. I'd love to be able to say that it wasn't true, but you just don't seem to be able to separate yourself from this idea that people who don't agree with you are attacking you. In case you have not noticed, you have a strong personality. Because of that, when people disagree with your strong opinion, they're going to come back at you the same way. Above all else, I think you need to understand that this is an internet fan site. People seek out and participate in the discussions here because they enjoy analyzing and over analyzing opinions about this football team. If you are not thick-skinned enough to subject your opinion to debate from other participants on this website, perhaps this is not the site for you. It is not a blog where you are free to share your opinion for casual reading without room for debate. It is not the Free Press comments section where nobody has any accountability for what they write. This is a forum full of intelligent members who are interested in discussion and debate and if they see something written by you, me or anyone else that they do not agree with or believe in, it is not wrong of them to debate it. It's not wrong of them, nor is it wrong of you when you do the same thing. What is wrong is when you get your back up and come across rudely towards other members simply because you don't like that they dare challenge your opinion.

Mike, one thing I've learned at Ourbombers & here... Is you can be as rude or impatient as me or anyone else. Do I feel attacked? Depends on what I say or what side of the argument I'm on. If I go with the flow then usually I'm okay. No one says anything negative, but wow, go out on a limb & watch what happens. Sometimes I feel that there are SOME... not ALL... people who are just waiting for me or anyone here... to say something they don't agree with & they attack.  Now, I guess you can lump me into both groups & I wouldn't argue with that at all. Like I said, this is a small website. We probably have 50 people active here. So, in a way it's like a bunch of siblings spatting with one another.

Tell you what, I'll try to do better.

Sometimes there are just issues with how people respond when someone disagrees with them. Half the time it's being construed as personal, when it doesn't need to be.  Instead of a disagreement being taken as an attack, why can't it just provoke a deeper discussion about the subject?  Do you feel like you need to have the boxing gloves on every time you visit this site?  If so then, maybe take a step back for a moment, rethink your thoughts and what you'd like to achieve by coming here.  If you feel the need to be defensive, then it's probably because you're unprepared for when someone might actually question or challenge what you're saying.  

Answering someone's question with another question does not provoke good discussion.  Especially when that someone is looking for clarity and not necessarily disagreeing with you.