Who do the Bombers protect?

BigBlue

I'm sure there will be better QBs available than Max Hall.

Say for the sake of argument we swing a trade with Calgary for Drew Tate before the expansion draft: who does Ottawa grab for their two QBs?

DeMarco from BC (after watching him play last night I doubt it)?

Nichols from Edmonton (maybe if they get past injury concerns)?

A Montreal QB (Smith for his potential or one of their unprovens)?

Hamilton's #2 (really)?

Collaros, Glenn & Willie are FA's

So which two ahead of Hall (especially if he continues his improvement)?

Who do you see Ottawa taking if there are no other trades (outside of Calgary and something will happen there)?

Which non-FA QB is better than Max Hall?

They will sign Glenn as a free agent and take Tate and/or LeFevor as backup.

Say for the sake of argument we swing a trade with Calgary for Drew Tate before the expansion draft: who does Ottawa grab for their two QBs?

Hamilton's #2 (really)?

Who do you see Ottawa taking if there are no other trades (outside of Calgary and something will happen there)?

Tate or BML will be traded .... its just a question of which club will bid the highest

Hamilton's #2 (really)?

Tate or BML will be traded .... its just a question of which club will bid the highest

Mitchell is definitely not going anywhere.

That's a pretty good list but theres no way Kohlert isn't the first group over Swiston. Also, I don't see any situation where we would choose to protect Steve Morely. I'd be shocked if he was even brought back next year. I'd also be inclined to keep Will Ford over either Suber or Stewart but thats nitpicking. 

Non-imports (1st group)

H.Muamba*

Watson

Greaves

Neufeld

Swiston

Pencer

Non-imports (2nd group)

Sorensen*

Renaud*

Kohlert*

Etienne*

Labbe*

Morley*

Imports

Washington

Wild

January

Suber*

Turner

Denmark

Sims-Walker

Stewart*

Sears

Dunn

Why protect FA's? Muamba makes sense but otherwise not.

That's a pretty good list but theres no way Kohlert isn't the first group over Swiston. Also, I don't see any situation where we would choose to protect Steve Morely. I'd be shocked if he was even brought back next year. I'd also be inclined to keep Will Ford over either Suber or Stewart but thats nitpicking. 

Kohlert is a free agent. If he were signed for 2014, I'd definitely agree with you.

There's probably no use in protecting Suber and Stewart.  Since we can only lose one import, it's not going to be a free agent.  Maybe substitute Ford and Mainor in for Suber and Stewart.

Kohlert is a free agent. If he were signed for 2014, I'd definitely agree with you.

There's probably no use in protecting Suber and Stewart.  Since we can only lose one import, it's not going to be a free agent.  Maybe substitute Ford and Mainor in for Suber and Stewart.

Mainor makes little sense to me.  We bring in DE's off the street, let them practice for a week and they are as good or better.

Mainor makes little sense to me.  We bring in DE's off the street, let them practice for a week and they are as good or better.

Yeah, our ninth and tenth best imports seem like they're awfully replaceable, which is why I was thinking of putting free agents there originally.

The Bomber roster is not overly deep on talent right now, so the Blue and Gold should be able to protect most of their key pieces leading up to the Dec. 16 dispersal of talent.

Helping matters are the 25 potential free agents who are currently lined up to test the waters, although that could change if the Bombers are able to get some of them to re-sign.

The Redblacks will be wary to take free agents from teams since there’s a chance those players will simply re-sign elsewhere after the middle of February. There are a few potential free agents that might be worth taking a chance on, however, and the Bombers figure into that picture.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/10/21/redblack-and-blue-a-look-at-players-the-bombers-should-protect-in-expansion-draft

25!  Crazy times.

The Bomber roster is not overly deep on talent right now, so the Blue and Gold should be able to protect most of their key pieces leading up to the Dec. 16 dispersal of talent.

Helping matters are the 25 potential free agents who are currently lined up to test the waters, although that could change if the Bombers are able to get some of them to re-sign.

The Redblacks will be wary to take free agents from teams since there’s a chance those players will simply re-sign elsewhere after the middle of February. There are a few potential free agents that might be worth taking a chance on, however, and the Bombers figure into that picture.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/10/21/redblack-and-blue-a-look-at-players-the-bombers-should-protect-in-expansion-draft

25!  Crazy times.

Has Penton been reading this thread? format & content makes me wonder

Why isn't he protecting Sims-Walker?

And how can you protect Poblah ahead of Kolhert?

Is Kelly easier to replace than Will Ford?

He mentions January as a vet who's "getting up there" and probably wouldn't be taken by Ottawa. He's a starting LT who will only turn 31 next season, so I'm going to have to disagree with him on that one...

Does this really surprise you?

He also suggested we protect Poblah and mentions the likes of James Green over Etienne.

He mentions January as a vet who's "getting up there" and probably wouldn't be taken by Ottawa. He's a starting LT who will only turn 31 next season, so I'm going to have to disagree with him on that one...

He also suggested we protect Poblah and mentions the likes of James Green over Etienne.

Is Poblah worth protecting in round 2?

Is Poblah worth protecting in round 2?

I'd protect Poblah in round 2, if I protect him at all.

Pencer and Neufeld are redundant.  Neither one can play guard at a level to start in the CFL.  The only way we try to start 4 NI OL is if Burke is retained.  Anyone with half a brain will make better use of the collection of NI's at receiver/TE/RB.

I want to see Neufeld's broken leg healed to the point he can at least practice before I'd consider protecting him.

Pencer and Neufeld are redundant.  Neither one can play guard at a level to start in the CFL.  The only way we try to start 4 NI OL is if Burke is retained.  Anyone with half a brain will make better use of the collection of NI's at receiver/TE/RB.

I want to see Neufeld's broken leg healed to the point he can at least practice before I'd consider protecting him.

Let's be serious though, there's no way they're not protecting Neufeld.

I respect Penton’s opinion on protecting Poblah, although his reasoning is weak.  IMO he’s weakness has been the types of routes he’s running and under-utilizing his strengths.  Make him run a fade from an inside position or send him on a drag, but he needs to get his hands out in front of him in some open space.  I think he needs to be a more consistent part of the blocking schemes on screen plays too.  

I can see him working well in a few offensive systems.