Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Morning Big Blue

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bombers trade for Dru Brown

Wow!

3DownNation
No image preview

Ottawa Redblacks trade Dru Brown to Winnipeg Blue Bombers...

The Ottawa Redblacks have traded Dru Brown to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The Ottawa Redblacks (0-2) will visit the Montreal Alouettes (2-1) at Percival Molson Stadium on Sunday, June 28 with kickoff s
  • Replies 241
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • 17to85
    17to85

    I don't think Ryan Dinwiddie should be critical of anyone's arm strength

  • Absolute master class from Dinwiddie on how to show everyone that you were propped up by incredible scouting in Toronto

  • Super Duper Negatron
    Super Duper Negatron

    "Dru is a quarterback that would see acres of open space downfield and choose to run for a first down. I want a QB that will throw an INT instead" - Ryan Dinwiddie, probably

Featured Replies

16 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

You want a smaller injury prone qb to do short yardage?

It’s a fairly important role in the CFL that you notice when somebody is bad at it ie Streveler last season.

Use a fullback like other teams.

22 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm happy to have Brown as our #2 QB, but let's not make him into something he isn't. He was the worst starting QB in the league last year and lost his job to Jake Maier this year. He's like a lot of backups who, when they get their chance, don't live up to the hype. 

That's true. But when given time to throw and a competent running game, he's shown he can lead an offense fairly well. Ottawa was a dumpster fire for many reasons and it wasn't all on the QB.

22 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm happy to have Brown as our #2 QB, but let's not make him into something he isn't. He was the worst starting QB in the league last year and lost his job to Jake Maier this year. He's like a lot of backups who, when they get their chance, don't live up to the hype. 

He is a starting calibre QB who played on a crap team. Anyone saying differently has not been watching.

19 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm happy to have Brown as our #2 QB, but let's not make him into something he isn't. He was the worst starting QB in the league last year and lost his job to Jake Maier this year. He's like a lot of backups who, when they get their chance, don't live up to the hype. 

Think he lived up to the hype in 24. Carried a pretty terrible Ottawa team into the playoffs. No run game either year. 8th ranked D both years in Ottawa.

Terrible OL which resulted in Brown getting injured.

Only qualms with everything and our offense is Condell offenses tend to fade pretty hard when the going gets a little rough. And I don't think he's a guy to develop QB's in this league.

I'd rather have Dru Brown than Vernon Adams. And the rest of the starters in the league outside Rourke are pushing 40.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

QBs are a premium commodity in this league. I actually thought the cost of acquiring Dru was pretty low. He is a starting quality QB.

yup....agreed...thts a steal as we likely end up with a better 2nd rounder

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

A few years back I told anyone who would listen on this forum that Dru Brown was still our plan for ZC's eventual retirement. I don't think that KW has woke up yet, but was more or less forced to not dither because Brown was being shopped and may not have been there as a FA.

Really can't make sense of this move on Ottawa's part. There had to be a clash of personalities between Dinwiddie and Brown.

I as well figured he's be back one way or another...and glad we did it....We now arent royally screwed if/when ZC goes down...And I'd bet my left nut he goes down for a spell this yr again...of not a here and there thing...for a short extended stint...consider this arse covered now...thank christ

Brown was hung out to dry on a crap squad....After his intial yr here all he did was produce, and thrived in this environment...and am pretty sure he will again

I just want to see him have more fire in his belly at times, and realize its ok to get a bit steamed and animated

29 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He is a starting calibre QB who played on a crap team. Anyone saying differently has not been watching.

I've been watching, & I say differently as does the Ottawa staff, who know more than either of us.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

I've been watching, & I say differently as does the Ottawa staff, who know more than either of us.

And a bit less than the BB staff.

I don't think you can ever judge a football player by their time in Ottawa.

Every year the Ottawa CFL team signs a bunch of promising free agents and every year, they never get any better. There's been a weird vortex over that town since the early eighties that prevents the assembly of talent into football teams. Greg Bell this year, for example -- last year he was lethal in the open field and could deke any player in the CFL one-on-one ... and this year he looks like like he's old and tired and didn't even start the first game. (plus, I think they're running him between the tackles too much)

You get guys like Stephane Jones or Josh Ranek or Josh Hardy who can prosper in Ottawa year after year, but they are weird outliers.

Brown makes our team better and his ceiling is miles high. That's the only thing one can say, I think.

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I've been watching, & I say differently as does the Ottawa staff, who know more than either of us.

When did Dinwiddie watch Brown? In all zero of his starts there, or in preseason where he got virtually zero reps? The stats from, you know, his actual playing time as a starter say differently than your and Dinwiddie's assessment. I trust actual history over imagined.

You stated he was the worst starter last year. He was injured, but his stat line projected over 18 games is better than the guy he is backing up right now. So let's not pretend he's not capable. That's an insult to everyone's intelligence around here. When healthy Dru is a quality starter in this league. Saying otherwise is nonsense and the stat lines back me up on that.

Edited by GCn20

14 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Perkins is basically a running back. There's no way he doesn't dress for that role on game day. Elgersma doesn't factor in this season unless there are injuries to Collaros or Brown.

Perkins offers more options than Elgersma at this point, so he ought to be the backup. Brown will need a few practices to get up to speed and show that he still has the right stuff.

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Perkins offers more options than Elgersma at this point, so he ought to be the backup. Brown will need a few practices to get up to speed and show that he still has the right stuff.

Perkins can't pass the ball. Only issue.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Perkins can't pass the ball. Only issue.

He can throw, but not really well enough to loosen the sphincters of opposing defenders rather than his coaches.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Perkins can't pass the ball. Only issue.

He honestly couldn't be worse than Streveler was last year. He like Strev are never going to worry opposing DC's greatly with their arm.

25 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I've been watching, & I say differently as does the Ottawa staff, who know more than either of us.

I get that professional coaches obviously know more than the normal lay person however like any expert, specialist in any vocation they can get things wrong and/or can be a bit off at times or just see things differently than another valid perspective etc etc.

I 'love' the approach on discussion boards where some people are consistent with the shut this discussion down cuz I'm exhuasted with this discussion so I need to trot out the these people (insert coach, gm etc) know more than any of us combined to stop the discussion plus they agree with my viewpoint'. Most of what we tossle around here is not black/white it's more greyish. What's the point of a discussion board then just to agree with everything a pro sport person says on the grey.

Not fun.

Cabin Fever Reaction GIF by chuber channel

16 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I get that professional coaches obviously know more than the normal lay person however like any expert, specialist in any vocation they can get things wrong and/or can be a bit off at times or just see things differently than another valid perspective etc etc.

I 'love' the approach on discussion boards where some people are consistent with the shut this discussion down cuz I'm exhuasted with this discussion so I need to trot out the these people (insert coach, gm etc) know more than any of us combined to stop the discussion plus they agree with my viewpoint'. Most of what we tossle around here is not black/white it's more greyish. What's the point of a discussion board then just to agree with everything a pro sport person says on the grey.

Not fun.

Cabin Fever Reaction GIF by chuber channel

Jake Meier is also currently 25 points lower in QBR than Brown was even in his lost season last year and Ottawa is 0-2 getting their asses kicked twice at home by two of the less competitive teams in the league from last season with barely no offense before YAB's. So the appeal to authority there isn't very strong.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

25 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He honestly couldn't be worse than Streveler was last year. He like Strev are never going to worry opposing DC's greatly with their arm.

Collaros didn't threaten anyone with his arm last year either so let's stop victim blaming qbs for the **** offense our coordinator came up with last season.

Once upon a time, Mike Kelly and Jeff Reinbold ran pro teams and we all know how much of a disaster that was.

33 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Perkins can't pass the ball. Only issue.

doesnt need to...he needs to run short yardage and some specialty sets....also he can pass but isnt a pocket passer...sosome unique plays designed just for him will make him a nice change up, and I think Condell is just the guy to maximize what Perkins can do...Dru will be the passer when need be if/when ZC goes down...or falters

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He honestly couldn't be worse than Streveler was last year. He like Strev are never going to worry opposing DC's greatly with their arm.

yup...and having special packages for him to maximize his skill set, and ways to make passes if teams cheat...he will be a great change of pace guy if kept in right after a sneak in tempo and catch a team with total wrong personele on field and take advantage of that

But Dru is now the true and legit #2 and really should be put in if ZC is suckin balls in a game

So the implication is that Dru Brown asked for this trade?

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I've been watching, & I say differently as does the Ottawa staff, who know more than either of us.

Not convinced Dinwiddie is nearly as smart as some of you pretend he is. I actually think he’s proving he’s kind of a dumbass.

56 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Collaros didn't threaten anyone with his arm last year either so let's stop victim blaming qbs for the **** offense our coordinator came up with last season.

A big part of Strev's lack of success was his OC, a bigger part was that he couldn't hit the broad sign of a barn from 15 yards. That's not victim blaming that's just fact.

LOL!! at Dru being the worst starting QB in the league last year. Hilarious.

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm happy to have Brown as our #2 QB, but let's not make him into something he isn't. He was the worst starting QB in the league last year and lost his job to Jake Maier this year. He's like a lot of backups who, when they get their chance, don't live up to the hype. 

Playing on the worst team.... Also Collaros had a lower efficiency rating then Brown and Vernon Adams was only slightly better.

19 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

That's not victim blaming that's just fact.

Opinion. Not fact.

37 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So the implication is that Dru Brown asked for this trade?

Yes. Farhan had mentioned about a month ago that Dru was looking to come back to Winnipeg so it looks like he got his wish.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.