2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

36 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

I never made that point, I've never been talking about Americans who don't come North lol. I thought we were having different convos, even said that earlier. 

How so? You haven't made a coherent point. You understand there are different roster spot allocations for Canadian, American, and Global players right? CFL.ca can explain it for U...

No there's not...each team deems where they wanna play a Canadian versus an American based on who they recruit...draft...etc...there is not allocated positions based on nationality.. So obviously u are far from coherent...and the fact that there is limited Canadian starting talent...a blue chip American may get cut for a less talented Canadian because a team doesn't have the adequate Canadian depth elsewhere to facilitate a ratio switch...kapeesh??? 

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Could see Bighill kind of being that extra coach on the 6 game type guy if he's not going to play.  Save money on two caps at once.

If he can't go..and they keep Moses...I'd trial by fire him ...best way to cut your chops.

If they go the Gauthier route...load heavy on dline and rotate the heck out of them ...

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

No there's not...each team deems where they wanna play a Canadian versus an American based on who they recruit...draft...etc...there is not allocated positions based on nationality.. So obviously u are far from coherent...and the fact that there is limited Canadian starting talent...a blue chip American may get cut for a less talented Canadian because a team doesn't have the adequate Canadian depth elsewhere to facilitate a ratio switch...kapeesh??? 

Where did I say position allocation? Lol that's an absurd leap of brain fog. You're fried 

As I tried to direct you to, CFL.ca explains the roster rules for the uninitiated like yourself

"Of the 45 players named to the roster, each team may dress an active roster of 45 players, broken down as follows:

Maximum of 3 QBs (no designation)

Maximum of 19 American players

Minimum of 21 National players

Including one nationalized American

Minimum of 1 Global player"

Unless a team only rosters 18 American players, you got cut because 19 other American players provide better overall value to the roster than you. Kapeesh.

Edited by Pepper_Brooks

6 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Where did I say position allocation? Lol that's an absurd leap of brain fog. You're fried 

"Of the 45 players named to the roster, each team may dress an active roster of 45 players, broken down as follows:

Maximum of 3 QBs (no designation)

Maximum of 19 American players

Minimum of 21 National players

Including one nationalized American

Minimum of 1 Global player"

Unless a team only rosters 18 American players, you got cut because 19 other American players provide better overall value to the roster than you. Kapeesh.

Reread your babble...u said there is allocated positions based on nationality....and I know a roster makeup...been on several...both sides of the border and now help in recruiting and training and getting guys a chance to make a roster so I'm pretty well versed in it but thanks...

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Reread your babble...u said there is allocated positions based on nationality....and I know a roster makeup...been on several...both sides of the border and now help in recruiting and training and getting guys a chance to make a roster so I'm pretty well versed in it but thanks...

No I didn't 😂😂😂 where did you read that? 

I'm happy to butt heads with you here but please keep the discussion to points I actually made, you and wbbfan are arguing against things I haven't said and would generally agree with you on. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

The fact we can’t keep most of the top 10 ish best players (or where ever the elite cut off is each year) and the fact barely Canadian guys shoot to the top of the draft even as fringe players in the ncaa tells you all you need to know about the talent level. I love that we have Canadians in the game, I wouldn’t want the game with out it. But it would be better in terms of on field quality. 

Agreed. I haven't said otherwise. I love football for a lot of reasons. One being the strategy a team needs to use to play its best against any given opponent. The ratio is another aspect that each team has to account for in their strategy. Which is one of the reasons I love the ratio.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

If he can't go..and they keep Moses...I'd trial by fire him ...best way to cut your chops.

If they go the Gauthier route...load heavy on dline and rotate the heck out of them ...

For sure Moses has soo much upside and if he struggles we can always switch to gauthier etc. 

27 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Agreed. I haven't said otherwise. I love football for a lot of reasons. One being the strategy a team needs to use to play its best against any given opponent. The ratio is another aspect that each team has to account for in their strategy. Which is one of the reasons I love the ratio.

Agree with all that. Idk what the optimal ratio set up is to balance both worlds, but if any thing I think we need more roster simplicity not more intricate ways to get none nis on the field. 

I’d be in favour of dropping the starting requirements.  Keep the roster breakdown the same.  If you really want flip 2-3 American spots Canadian since QBs won’t be separated anymore.

Every player in the lineup will get used.

The fight is that salaries will drop.  You won’t have even a pretty good player like Neufeld getting a premium for being Canadian.  You’ll have more of a sway toward guys getting paid their actual value.

21 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The english teacher in me...only a single o required here 

So000 lol 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I generally am Team Booch on everything but the one place we disagree is that I'd watch a 100% Canadian CFL before I'd watch all American. I'm here for the Canadiana of it all. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I generally am Team Booch on everything but the one place we disagree is that I'd watch a 100% Canadian CFL before I'd watch all American. I'm here for the Canadiana of it all. 

I want the balance personally. Would you be inclined to watch cis over nfl? Not apples to apples by any means, but interesting none the less. I’d like some semi pro ni only feeder to recycle guys who fall out of the cfl but it isn’t likely to happen. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I’d be in favour of dropping the starting requirements.  Keep the roster breakdown the same.  If you really want flip 2-3 American spots Canadian since QBs won’t be separated anymore.

Every player in the lineup will get used.

The fight is that salaries will drop.  You won’t have even a pretty good player like Neufeld getting a premium for being Canadian.  You’ll have more of a sway toward guys getting paid their actual value.

I’d be interested in a 4 starter min being flirted with, certainly before the naturalized American spreads to be 3 or 4 guys. Might be fun to break down how our roster would shake down in that case. 

13 hours ago, Booch said:

been around 30 changes to ratio since like back in 30's...not like it hasnt been happening....even since 60's there been a lot....we used to have that Naturalized Canadian for a while in the 60's as well...I sure @SpeedFlex27 could speak on that....they did away with it after a while, U could have 3 but I believe a lesser tlaented guy lost his job due to it, so went crying to the courts....am I correct @SpeedFlex27 ?

So ratio issues and reductions have been an ongoing thing since before the league became the CFL in the 50's...and after it...and the game is better for it...I get the love of the Canadians being employed, but if one is to think some of the guys who play teams only, are better than American counterparts who get cut because only so many Imports can start then you are sadly mistaken....and the whole point of what I am making is many talented guys say thanks but no thanks, and won't come...and it's too bad as many would likely push already established American starters out of their spot....or to a back-up role..

that would help a lot actually...sometimes now the quality of back-up to a Cnadian is a severe down grade

In the 60's, you could become a Canadian on a CFL roster after playing for the same team for (I believe) 5 seasons. So guys like Ken Ploen, Ron Lancaster,George Reed, D i c k Thornton, Wayne Harris & Don Luzzi could play as Canadians & not Americans. They also had to live in the community for that long as well so it required Americans to take up permanent residency in Canada in the city where they played. They were called "Designated Canadians under CFL rules. That probably explains why there were more "Canadians" playing on teams back then, then there are now. The thing that irked Canadian players is they felt that it took jobs away from actual Canadians so they hated that rule. 

I don't believe that anyone sued anybody. I think it was just eliminated in future CBA's in the late 1970's or 80's once these players with that designation retired. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, the Bighill injury comes down to terrible roster management & no succession plans at that position. Why we wouldn't sign a younger inside linebacker during free agency with potential to push Bighill out the door if he can't keep up is mind boggling. We all love Biggie but let's be serious. he's not the same player he once was. He needed to be pushed & it ain't happening. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, Mike said:

If Bighill gets replaced by Gauthier in our starting lineup, that’s borderline fireable 

I think we are really well poised considering we didn’t keep Clement’s in the off season. We have some really high upside imps. But you never know we’ve cut blue chip guys soo fast their head would spin in the past. 
 Aside from gauthier monstering his way to the role by beating every one out (not highly likely) if Cole ends up as our starting S, we’d be a kyrie injury and or rookie flop away. Both of which is more likely. 
 While he had a career performance in the gc, and he isn’t the last Canadian on our roster who should start, we are already trending to be over the ni starter amount. We should by no means go 2 over. 
 I think the other main chance would be if neuf was really hurt and we had to flip to 3 imps on the ol. Though even then I think it’d be kola Eli and Dobson inside with big Gabe as 6th ol. 

The rookie imps are perfectly set up with a chance to succeed in a big way though. Ayers, Moses, petrishen, gemmel, and Thomas have a huge opportunity. Cole has the big leg up being a 2nd year guy, but I think he’s bound for S. 

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I think a lot of people, especially fans, under estimate just how hard it is to get American players who’ve never heard of the cfl to come up here. Especially from the south. Front office types scouts especially work americans more than they sleep. 
coaches, state side agents, and nfl/ncaa scouts are 90% of the pipe line. Guys like Mac win these types over and they help sell kids who are on the out side of the nfl trajectory. 

I can't remember who said it, Brendan Taman maybe but for sure an ex-CFL GM, that the hardest part of recruiting talent for the CFL wasn't finding good players it was convincing them to come to Canada after you find them.

29 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Gauthier will start until Bighill is back. Its been done in the past, they'll do it again. The way Bighill played last season its not even that much of a downgrade which is very sad to say.

There’s absolutely zero need for it. We’re not talking about a spot injury, we’re talking about a potentially prolonged absence with the ability to have an open camp competition. 

1 minute ago, Mike said:

There’s absolutely zero need for it. We’re not talking about a spot injury, we’re talking about a potentially prolonged absence with the ability to have an open camp competition. 

Agreed but you know its going to happen. Something about Gauthier being a good soldier, that tackle in the playoffs in 2019, and all the confidence in the world in him, blah, blah, blah.